New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Burnley didn't have a Russian billionaire owner who fancied breaking the rules, that was the real difference. Howe was handing out big contracts in the Prem for fun and look at them now. Regularly signed players then fell out with them from what I read.

Beat me to it. 

1 minute ago, WilkoRam said:

What’s the issue people have with Terry as manager?

Peopl have asked for a manager who can handle players with ego - I bet he can. He won’t suffer fools that’s for sure. 
He’s spent time learning the ropes at Villa, he has the same playing background as Lampard and I’d much prefer giving him a shot than closing that door by recruiting the same old managers which is blocking the path of young managers. 

I very much see Terry as similar to Lampard.  Similar career. Similar driven nature and desire to play every game. 

Maybe not as overtly intelligent and with a more questionable 'persona' . However, he was even more of a leader on/off the pitch also has more coaching experience than Frank had. 

I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand. 

5 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

What’s the issue people have with Terry as manager?

Peopl have asked for a manager who can handle players with ego - I bet he can. He won’t suffer fools that’s for sure. 
He’s spent time learning the ropes at Villa, he has the same playing background as Lampard and I’d much prefer giving him a shot than closing that door by recruiting the same old managers which is blocking the path of young managers. 

What worries me is the low bar here!

There used to be a time when you could probably pick 3-5 decent option you’d like to see take over if we got rid of a manager.

Now there just seems to be no one you’d really want. Maybe that’s just our problem having burned through so many managers needlessly.

I actually agree with you. I don’t like Terry but I don’t see why he’s any worse than some of the other options being touted!

9 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Burnley didn't have a Russian billionaire owner who fancied breaking the rules, that was the real difference. Howe was handing out big contracts in the Prem for fun and look at them now. Regularly signed players then fell out with them from what I read.

Yeah I don’t get the Howe love in. Don’t get me wrong he did well in the early days at Bournemouth but he was well funded even at that level.

52 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Please no. No more celebrity football BS. Get a manager with a proven track record of playing good football, getting clubs out of the championship and establishing them in the Prem. Eddie Howe is the obvious choice for me.

Oooh i see, proven manager of playing good football. Proven like Frank lampard was then?

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

yes please

The bloke who, despite us last season nursing him through a health condition, bringing him in from the cold (albeit that previous managers had placed him there) and giving him a platform to perform (and thus get a better contract elsewhere), who having spent the previous 2 seasons out on unsuccessful loans and with his career prospects looking slim, didn't back himself to earn the second year option in his contract offer, ducked off to Bristol and left us completely in the poo when we need him the most?

Now I don't really believe all of that, or blame him (maybe a teensy bit), but that's one way you could spin it. No more ridiculous than the romanticising of his desire to play for Derby County, or in some cases poster's apparent desire to rub people's noses in his performances for Bristol.

Like quite a few, I am excited about these purported new owners & their wealth. However, I'm keeping an open mind,  they could be like Fawaz Al-Hasawi. The Forest fans being euphoric upon his arrival and showing off about his wealth as a fridge magnet. Well, we all know how that ended. 

I do wonder why our new owner didn't buy Newcastle. For a start, they would have a ready-made PL side, a platform on which to build straightaway. If they're so wealthy, then money should have been be no object, paying Ashley his asking price. 

We'd been taken over once during a difficult season, GSE/PL, that turned out to be an anti-climax. I wouldn't get carried away yet about us playing Barcelona in the Champions League in 2024.

Yes, why appoint the same old faces? Sometimes because they are proven at doing a particular task like getting a side out of trouble. We've supposedly got a fresh-faced manager who has presided over 2W in 17. 

Chris Hughton was probably the stand-out name when it comes to an experienced Championship manager. I cannot believe that I am advocating Mick McCarthy to be honest, but as others have pointed out, he has a proven track record. Dour, miserable Mick, also speaks common sense, something clearly lacking here at Pride Park by the look of things.

5 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

I cannot believe that I am advocating Mick McCarthy to be honest, but as others have pointed out, he has a proven track record. Dour, miserable Mick, also speaks common sense, something clearly lacking here at Pride Park by the look of things.

Just moved to Cyprus

6 minutes ago, Coconut said:

The bloke who, despite us last season nursing him through a health condition, bringing him in from the cold (albeit that previous managers had placed him there) and giving him a platform to perform (and thus get a better contract elsewhere), who having spent the previous 2 seasons out on unsuccessful loans and with his career prospects looking slim, didn't back himself to earn the second year option in his contract offer, ducked off to Bristol and left us completely in the poo when we need him the most?

Now I don't really believe all of that, or blame him (maybe a teensy bit), but that's one way you could spin it. No more ridiculous than the romanticising of his desire to play for Derby County, or in some cases poster's apparent desire to rub people's noses in his performances for Bristol.

Yeah I think we we’re all square so to speak.

We hadn’t treated him particularly well pre Cocu and he didn’t stick around despite sticking with him in his final year and us wanting him to stay!

What I don’t understand is those people who insist we forced him out despite us saying we wanted him to stay and offering him a contract!

9 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

Like quite a few, I am excited about these purported new owners & their wealth. However, I'm keeping an open mind,  they could be like Fawaz Al-Hasawi. The Forest fans being euphoric upon his arrival and showing off about his wealth as a fridge magnet. Well, we all know how that ended. 

I do wonder why our new owner didn't buy Newcastle. For a start, they would have a ready-made PL side, a platform on which to build straightaway. If they're so wealthy, then money should have been be no object, paying Ashley his asking price. 

We'd been taken over once during a difficult season, GSE/PL, that turned out to be an anti-climax. I wouldn't get carried away yet about us playing Barcelona in the Champions League in 2024.

Yes, why appoint the same old faces? Sometimes because they are proven at doing a particular task like getting a side out of trouble. We've supposedly got a fresh-faced manager who has presided over 2W in 17. 

Chris Hughton was probably the stand-out name when it comes to an experienced Championship manager. I cannot believe that I am advocating Mick McCarthy to be honest, but as others have pointed out, he has a proven track record. Dour, miserable Mick, also speaks common sense, something clearly lacking here at Pride Park by the look of things.

Mick McCarthy has just become manager of APOEL Nicosia in Cyprus

He'd only be any use to get us out of this mess for this season anyway. I wouldn't want him after that

If the terry rumours are true, I'd be quite happy with him. So what if he wore a full kit and shafted someone's mrs. Hardly crimes of the century. Couldnt care less as long as he brings some desire and leadership, which I imagine he would. 

Not a big fan of the allardyce/McCarthy suggestions. May as well chuck pulis in for good measure. Dinosaurs

18 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Pat Nevin said a while back that he thought - out of the Chelsea players who have been touted as future managers - that John Terry had the potential to be a great manager (in his opinion). 

His cousins Terry Butcher so you might have misheard.?  Don't want him here either .  

14 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

Billy Davies is still available.

Isn't he also impossible to get a hold of? Last I heard he believes there's a media conspiracy against him and he's shut himself off from the world. Proper suspicious of anybody and everybody.

Just now, Marriott Ram99 said:

I'd like Terry in as manager, wouldn't take any nonsense and we wouldn't fart around at the back for much longer. 

1 minute ago, Xlor said:

If the terry rumours are true, I'd be quite happy with him. So what if he wore a full kit and shafted someone's mrs. Hardly crimes of the century. Couldnt care less as long as he brings some desire and leadership, which I imagine he would. 

Not a big fan of the allardyce/McCarthy suggestions. May as well chuck pulis in for good measure. Dinosaurs

Think I've had enough of the Chelsea fan boys for this lifetime. I'll take the dinosaur if Terrys what's on offer.

2 minutes ago, Shang said:

Isn't he also impossible to get a hold of? Last I heard he believes there's a media conspiracy against him and he's shut himself off from the world. Proper suspicious of anybody and everybody.

He did a two part RamsTV interview the other year, so he's clearly not completely off-grid or refusing to answer our calls!

Get him in! @MuespachRamwould end up with a red raw stump where his genitalia used to be!

Archived