Derby County v Barnsley: Matchday Thread

Rampant

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We really look like a relegation side at the moment. Anyone who thinks we’re too good to go down is entirely deluded, this is probably the most danger we’ve been in since the 1980s. 

In terms of the game today, it’s just more of the same really. Playing with more energy than the other day, which is good. But again, we’ve got no ideas in the final third. Any good play in midfield comes to nothing when you have no plan of what to do in and around the opposition box. And that’s been the story of Cocu’s reign so far - he’s a shocking attacking coach. Awful. Rooney, as usual, has been useless. We can’t even score a goal against Barnsley ffs. As soon as we concede one goal we’re ducked, because the win 1-0 game plan goes totally out the window, and we’ve got no other ideas of what to do. 

And we can’t just blame Marshall. It was a shocking error, as bad as anything Roos has done, but the fact we can’t score goals is far more worrying. 

That first paragraph is spot on and I entirely agree with. I said it whilst under Lamps (I think) we were a bang average football club on here and was laughed out the place..... 

Somehow we are now even worse. We are not a big club, get it out your minds people. As much as I said a few weeks ago I thought we’d be alright come January, I think I’ll admit and hold my hands up and say I’m wrong.

Carry on the path we are and we will go down, simple as that. Does it hurt, yes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we keep going like we did for the last 15 or so I think we can win this. We are creating openings is just not quite dropped and with Rooney in midfield we have a better balance and a midfield that actually wants the ball. 

I'd be tempted to take of Shinnie for Bird  as he's been poor on the ball again and bring on Jozwiak for Knight. 

What disappoints me is the number of historic arguments I've had with posters on here who have been saying that it's unfair not to give Cocu until the end of the season or until all the injured players come back or until Mercury is aligned with Venus.

Hopefully everyone can see now we need radical surgery and soon.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There's more than enough in terms of players to be perfectly average in the division, we're loads less than the sum of our parts.

I'm not a poster who usually wants to have managers sacked, but, I'm convinced this can't go on.

Call it the dead cat bounce if you like but the squad just need a change to get the belief back and start being a team again.

We all want cocu to do well because he’s our manager but his position looks untenable. Too many of our players are not performing. We are poor. 

Just now, Mafiabob said:

That first paragraph is spot on and I entirely agree with. I said it whilst under Lamps (I think) we were a bang average football club on here and was laughed out the place..... 

Somehow we are now even worse. We are not a big club, get it out your minds people. As much as I said a few weeks ago I thought we’d be alright come January, I think I’ll admit and hold my hands up and say I’m wrong.

Carry on the path we are and we will go down, simple as that. Does it hurt, yes

It doesn’t even matter whether you’re a big club or not though to be fair. If you’re not playing well enough, you’ll go down. Ask Sunderland fans what they think of the “too big to go down” baalocks.

2 minutes ago, mossjram said:

sibley joz and ckr all on for me, lawrence waghorn and shinnie off, have to risk something to win something when you are bottom of the league, draws no good need TWO!

He'll take Bielik off due to lack of match fitness but he could take Waghorn and Shinnie off too. 

Jozwiak and Sibley must get on. 

If he puts Holmes on I'm done with Cocu. 

4 minutes ago, LincsRam said:

We have this tendency to want to walk the ball in, the game is dying for shots from the edge of the box. Lawrence, Rooney, Waggy and Knight can all score from there but don't.

Its not wrist slitting stuff, we have had chances, so have they, we have shaded the first half but still 1-0 down... come on you rams 2nd half.

Would like to see Richards on for waggy, Jozniak for Rooney and sibley for lawrence.

Better not see Holmes warming up to come on!

I agree they would be the 3 right subs. And do it now whilst there is still time

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

That's the main concern with the impending takeover. Why would Mel pay the reported £4mil to get rid of Cocu when it's not his problem in a few weeks, fan or not?

We need a decision to be made asap. I can't see Cocu lasting much longer regardless of the owner, so prolonging it will only hinder our ability to get out this hole. Use the international break wisely, don't waste it on someone without a future here only to get rid of him after the following game.

He will go during the break. No doubt in my mind now.

And if that's the case, he needs to go almost immediately, so that ideally you can bring the new team in by the time we play next.

And I say this last bit with my tongue firmly out my cheek:

We are now in a relegation battle. 

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

He's not a Championship central midfielder. Has the odd decent game and people jazz about him. 

Don't really care if its just me and you who thinks it. We are bottom of the league because we cannot dominate, create and score from midfield. 

Lots of energy, wins the ball back a lot and plays the odd decent through ball. The problem is he should be further up the field like Lampard had Bryson, not be the base of the midfield. If Lamport had stayed we'd all be raving about Shinnie.

Archived