Derby County v Barnsley: Matchday Thread

Rampant

Looking on the bright side, if we were relegated (!) our young Academy players might excel in League 1, win the league, and the momentum might carry them up to the Premier League.

Perhaps it's not so far fetched!

We've been a play-off team for so long, buying in players here and there to get us over the line, resulting in an expensive and bloated squad that cannot get promoted.

Maybe we need to embed a young cheap team; upon which we can build.

The manager is often the scapegoat - and sometimes the players - but, perhaps, the reality of having been a play-off team for so many years is that it needs disbanding, and building up from scratch?

Maybe relegation wouldn't be so bad. And, maybe, sticking with Cocu would be better than swapping managers, and prolonging the life of an unpromotable play-off team.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

Looking on the bright side, if we were relegated (!) our young Academy players might excel in League 1, win the league, and the momentum might carry them up to the Premier League.

We've been a play-off team for so long, buying in players here and there to get us over the line, resulting in an expensive and bloated squad that cannot get promoted.

The manager is often the scapegoat - and sometimes the players - but, perhaps, the reality of having been a play-off team for so many years is that it needs disbanding, and building up from scratch?

Maybe relegation wouldn't be so bad. And, maybe, sticking with Cocu would be better than swapping managers, and prolonging the life of an unpromotable play-off team.

You may be right but it would be an incredibly brave decision to stick with Cocu all the way to relegation. Going into Div 1 was a springboard for Southampton, though it hasn't worked (so far) for Sunderland.

I thought the management/coaching team panicked when their first goal went in and made an immediate, unnecessary tactical change. Rooney and Knight were immediately swapped.

My Son and I couldn't understand this. Barnsley were not 'on top'. The goal came from a horrendous mistake. The problems we were having (and continued to have) were in the final third, not in central midfield. Losing 'legs' in midfield helped them IMO.

11 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

I have to say, I can’t believe relegation is EVER a old thing, after all I remember people saying the same when we were relegated from the premiership and now look at us, would it be a good thing to drop into league 2 or maybe the National league???

6 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

I thought the management/coaching team panicked when their first goal went in and made an immediate, unnecessary tactical change. Rooney and Knight were immediately swapped.

My Son and I couldn't understand this. Barnsley were not 'on top'. The goal came from a horrendous mistake. The problems we were having (and continued to have) were in the final third, not in central midfield. Losing 'legs' in midfield helped them IMO.

They reacted to Barnsley's change after they had scored which was to sit back more, stop us getting crosses in and make us play down a very congested centre. every time we go a goal down the opposition does this as they know we lack pace and someone who can hold the ball up at the front. 

when we go a goal up the opposition need to come out more. we need pace to stretch teams, how often do we have the opposition on the back foot? we always have their whole team in front of us. we need to get the ball forward more quickly to players with pace and height. at the moment I think we have been worked out, something that started to happen at the back end of last season. 

I am a Cocu fan but something has to change, it wouldn't surprise me if we spend big in January on a top foreign striker and someone with pace, not sure if Phil will be around to see it.     

2 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

They reacted to Barnsley's change after they had scored which was to sit back more, stop us getting crosses in and make us play down a very congested centre. every time we go a goal down the opposition does this as they know we lack pace and someone who can hold the ball up at the front. 

when we go a goal up the opposition need to come out more. we need pace to stretch teams, how often do we have the opposition on the back foot? we always have their whole team in front of us. we need to get the ball forward more quickly to players with pace and height. at the moment I think we have been worked out, something that started to happen at the back end of last season. 

I am a Cocu fan but something has to change, it wouldn't surprise me if we spend big in January on a top foreign striker and someone with pace, not sure if Phil will be around to see it.     

Agree pace and energy in the team is definitely lacking compared to most other teams.

17 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

Prolonging the life of an unpromotable play off team? Of the team v Villa 18 months ago only one player started yesterday.They've already been disbanded.

2 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

I agree, we rarely have the opposition on the back foot. When we do, we are not clever enough to take advantage of it. We had a great opportunity yesterday in the second half with a player free on the right but a long range shot (Jozwiak? Sibley?) was taken on.

I don't think we were great, at all, but I was impressed with Barnsley. They put 100% in, thru every position. Reminded me of Leeds last season with the closing down and ultra-pressing. They clearly knew how to play against us and their numerous entries into our third looked faster and more dangerous than ours. Some lovely little one-touch stuff. Thankfully, they're not much better than we are at shooting so we weren't given a real pasting.

It's a real chore watching Derby these days. We take forever to move the ball forward. And I do believe we've a fair number of players who just aren't that keen on the hard work that's necessary.

Apologies if this has been covered off already but Matt Clarke was again the defender sacrificed on Saturday. 

His tendency to pass back frustrates me but I feel for him when he drives forward. 

All he sees is a line of backsides. 

He could, like Keogh used to, start attacks if supported by positive forward runs. 

He tackles well and is good enough in the air to repel most attacks (without much control on where he heads it) and would be in our starting eleven from those available. 

He is a better option than Curtis Davies, who whilst being a great trier, is both old and technically poor. 

There seems to be a bunch of scapegoats and a bunch who rarely get hooked unless later on when all is lost. 

Archived