Abu Derby County

tinman

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If Mel decided to sell the ground to the Sheikh for £1, do you think the EFL will then claim that should have been the actual value in 2018?

What about another scenario where the Sheikh buys the club for £1 and the ground for £80m. 

If Mel decided to sell the ground back to the club for £1, the EFL would certainly look into it - that's the whole point. Mel could argue that he was just doing so out of largesse and that would be hard to gainsay, but that's a different argument.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nottingram said:

You quoted Rooney as hoping it would be completed in 24 to 48 hours. I’m sure he did hope that but it is not him expressly saying it would be the case

Before he said that though he said  "The new owners will be joining, I am sure, in the next few days."

He's not just come out with that on a whim, it's what he'd been told was happening - he's only had to say he hopes it to be the case because what he was originally told by those above him hasn't come to fruition.

Technically you can say that 'the club' hasn't put a specific timescale on things as long as there's not an official club statement on the matter published on the website giving specific dates, but you'd have to be more interested in winning internet points & hiding behind politician's answers (as some are, I'm not saying you are) than looking at the situation for what it actually is.

Rooney relaying what he's told by others above him counts as a comment/update from the club, no matter how some might try to squirm out of accepting that.

22 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

To say they could present a sales value from 2020, following the global economy taking a battering, as new evidence for the valuation at 2018 is plain wrong. 

You are assuming that a professional value at today would provide the same value as in 2018, it wouldn't. 

As an asset in 2018, Pride Park Stadium would have generated £x ex million, in 2020 it is currently generating £0 and therefore is less valuable to any investor.

Its really very basic stuff.

I'm absolutely not saying anything of the sort. Please read the words, not what you think I mean - it's really basic stuff.

To assert that a new commercial transaction would not provide the EFL with new information for their disciplinary process is absurd. 

A decent parallel (although in the opposite direction) is where a property valuation is used in an inheritance tax calculation. A property valued to avoid a tax threshold and sold two years later for far higher price will attract the attention of HMRC. There may well be extenuating factors - I fully understand that valuations are subject to many factors, but a significant difference would need to be explained. That's not to say that it couldn't be explained.

23 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I was neither speaking or debating. I was taking the piss out of your constant negativity on the subject at hand.

Can you show me any negativity?

You incorrectly asserted that the EFL could not re-open the investigation into the stadium sale. I merely defended my post using evidence and precedent. The negativity was entirely on your part.

16 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Before he said that though he said  "The new owners will be joining, I am sure, in the next few days."

He's not just come out with that on a whim, it's what he'd been told was happening - he's only had to say he hopes it to be the case because what he was originally told by those above him hasn't come to fruition.

Technically you can say that 'the club' hasn't put a specific timescale on things as long as there's not an official club statement on the matter published on the website giving specific dates, but you'd have to be more interested in winning internet points & hiding behind politician's answers (as some are, I'm not saying you are) than looking at the situation for what it actually is.

Rooney relaying what he's told by others above him counts as a comment/update from the club, no matter how some might try to squirm out of accepting that.

You are probably right and I would say Rooney would be better off towing the party line and making no comment but he’s an inexperienced manager so maybe a touch of naivety. I would like to think for things to have been as close as they appeared to be, proof of funds or anything like that would hopefully not be an issue and it is more than likely it is just down to the EFL appeal and where we stand with that.

I just think we have a history of panicking when there may be little need and not just on this takeover. Everyone who you would trust on the matter has said that things are progressing okay. Ultimately if it doesn’t go through then Mel will continue to run the club as he has and I certainly don’t believe he would allow us to go the wall. Rooney is doing a steady if unspectacular job so there isn’t a huge rush on that front either. A bit of clarity around January recruitment budgets would be a bonus but can’t really see us doing much there anyway. 

I wonder if these buyers are still interested in a premier league clubs and just using us as leverage to push someone into selling at a lower price or that they are just stringing this out due to having second thoughts? 
It’s really strange... something has happened because the club wouldn’t have made an announcement thinking it would take this long usually deals are announced close just before they go through. 

I’ve defended this all the way and been confident it will go through but we must be coming up to 2 months since it was announced? The only bit of confidence I have is silence means they’re clearly still working on a deal otherwise an announcement saying it’s off would have happened. 

3 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Anyone that has dealt with solicitors knows how long things take, probably made harder by the current situation.

My house went on the market mid Oct, Sold mid Nov, Solicitor emails me to say the norm for selling and buying is circa 12 weeks, Your sale and purchase will take between 16 and 20 weeks we hope due to the high demand, Christmas and Covid-19.

I've settled for early April, I'll ring them 48 hours after we exchange contracts.

2 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

To assert that a new commercial transaction would not provide the EFL with new information for their disciplinary process is absurd. 

Well we are going to have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.

Basically if your point is the EFL can investigate anything they want I guess you are correct. 

Think my point is that they won't because there is no reason for them to because nothing has happened to change the circumstances prevalent in 2018 the the valuers used to value the ground.

2 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

I wonder if these buyers are still interested in a premier league clubs and just using us as leverage to push someone into selling at a lower price or that they are just stringing this out due to having second thoughts? 
It’s really strange... something has happened because the club wouldn’t have made an announcement thinking it would take this long usually deals are announced close just before they go through. 

I’ve defended this all the way and been confident it will go through but we must be coming up to 2 months since it was announced? The only bit of confidence I have is silence means they’re clearly still working on a deal otherwise an announcement saying it’s off would have happened. 

You contradict yourself so much 

Wayne Rooney was asked today the very same question Cocu was asked last year "do you know which supermarket you will be shopping in come January", I remember Philip smiling last year and saying "yes"...poor bloke didnt realise the investment would never arrive.

Sounds to me from Wayne's answer that he is less confident the funds will be there to spend in January.

This takeover starting to resemble the Gabay investment and things have clearly changed a lot since the days of 24/48 hours.

Having looked at all these posts,and considered everything I am going to nail my options to the post and say " This deal is not going to happen "

On 11/12/2020 at 23:09, Rampage said:

A point well made MRiG. I see that some youth burnt down Mackworth Church allegedly. Disgrace.

I just to live Mackworth EST and often walked passed this lovely church which I believe dates back to the 14th century, this is as you say a total disgrace hope the moron who did this gets a lot more than a smack on the wrist.  ?

The takeover ain't happening get used to it , 2 failed attempts already and this was imminent 6 months ago,  it stinks . The fans deserve better from the whole board I've liked mel Morris but his silence on this now stinks , and he is deffo blotting his copy book for me . We deserve as fans now to learn something more concrete as this is truly shocking . 

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

You are probably right and I would say Rooney would be better off towing the party line and making no comment but he’s an inexperienced manager so maybe a touch of naivety. I would like to think for things to have been as close as they appeared to be, proof of funds or anything like that would hopefully not be an issue and it is more than likely it is just down to the EFL appeal and where we stand with that.

I just think we have a history of panicking when there may be little need and not just on this takeover. Everyone who you would trust on the matter has said that things are progressing okay. Ultimately if it doesn’t go through then Mel will continue to run the club as he has and I certainly don’t believe he would allow us to go the wall. Rooney is doing a steady if unspectacular job so there isn’t a huge rush on that front either. A bit of clarity around January recruitment budgets would be a bonus but can’t really see us doing much there anyway. 

Yes. And if the deal had fallen away MM would have no option but to put an announcement out through the club 

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

The takeover ain't happening get used to it , 2 failed attempts already and this was imminent 6 months ago,  it stinks . The fans deserve better from the whole board I've liked mel Morris but his silence on this now stinks , and he is deffo blotting his copy book for me . We deserve as fans now to learn something more concrete as this is truly shocking . 

cry baby GIF

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Not sure why you think the fans deserve better. Let's face it we've had a number of years of the Mel Morris gravy train chucking money at new record transfer fees every season and look where it's got us.

Maybe a period of austerity won't be such a bad thing and put into context how lucky we've been comparative to other clubs.

What I saw Rooney said was a little concerning ... Why is he asking every day if there is nothing to worry about? 

Would also have preferred along lines of.. 'yes its frustrating its taking so long, but the last few things are taking longer than we thought, new owners are as keen to get started as I am ..' etc

Felt much more ambiguous..ie no idea what is (if?) happening.. 

Archived