Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That would certainly make things complicated. Does make you wonder - at a guess Mel won't sell the stadium to BZG for less than the £80m he bought it for from himself, BZG can't sell their backers on that part, so the deal is the club but not the ground, which remains Mel's. You'd have thought investors who were serious in ambition would want to own and control the stadium as part of the enterprise.

That's what I would have thought, if they were seriously looking to buy Newcastle for 350 million and are worth billions (which we now realise they are not), you would think they would just buy the club, buy the stadium and build the club, all for a fraction of the cost of buying Newcastle.

It wont be the best start if they come in and the club still doesnt own its stadium, loans/mortgages are still in place and Mel is still involved with the club.

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Just a couple of thoughts. I am pretty sure the observation regarding an MSD negotiation delay came from someone guessing on here/Twitter. Perhaps there may be break date clauses on loan repayment (and early repayment fees if so), but This shouldn’t require lengthy negotiation. MSD just need to be repaid. You would hope/expect BZG to have the investments funds to repay such a loan, or their own line of credit to substitute. It would be a major concern to me if MSD are still in the picture if the sale is completed.

Property purchases can be completed very quickly, it is normally ‘chain’ issues that delay/lengthen the transaction process. There is of course no chain in this process, so it would be wrong to compare this transaction with national averages.

The negotiations between the two parties were mentioned in a mid-November John Percy article. I'm trying to find whether it was mentioned subsequently as a reason for the delay.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/11/14/Derby-sack-managerphillip-cocu/

Derby expect to complete the takeover by Sheikh Khaled by next Wednesday, while negotiations are ongoing with an American party linked to Dell over the sale of the Pride Park Stadium. As revealed by Telegraph Sport on March 23, a party linked with Dell donated a £15 million loan to the Championship club earlier this year.

Bingo, this is from late November.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/11/26/wayne-rooney-leaves-Derby-squad-wycombe-contest/

Derby's takeover by Sheikh Khaled is still on course to go through, but has been delayed by negotiations involving American investors MSD Capital and the prospective new owners.

MSD Capital provided Derby with one substantial loan earlier this year and paperwork is still being exchanged between the two parties before the takeover can be concluded.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

The MSD loans are actually secured against all Mel's football related holdings, rather than just the stadium. There are charges against the stadium, the club, the catering company, the academy and the lease of Moor Farm.

I wonder if that actually might be the cause of the delay? Maybe BZG are not buying the stadium, so the security of the loans becomes complicated, whereas buying the lot, settling the loans and removing the charges is pretty straightforward. 

The quote from the article above mentions the sale of the stadium, I presume this means BZG buying the stadium from Mel?

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That's what I would have thought, if they were seriously looking to buy Newcastle for 350 million and are worth billions (which we now realise they are not), you would think they would just buy the club, buy the stadium and build the club, all for a fraction of the cost of buying Newcastle.

It wont be the best start if they come in and the club still doesnt own its stadium, loans/mortgages are still in place and Mel is still involved with the club.

MM has woven a complex web and his tax position will be a major factor in structuring the deal. It may seem disappointing the Sheikh does not just pay off the mortgage. But the tax issues might mean MM wants to retain the company that owns the stadium. This would NOT mean that the Sheikh does not have total control over the stadium (through options, security etc etc.). 

Look it's complicated and we're mostly guessing 

4 hours ago, rynny said:

Would you pay a fine for something that you had already been found not guilty for? 

found 'guilty' on one count and the result on the others undecided because of the appeal   So would be a rational offer to make to the EFL. Allows them to save face and the club to be sure of no points deduction

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Page 214. Blimey. Whose guess has been passed?

Back on p. 190, when Angry started it off with this:

On 04/12/2020 at 12:50, Angry Ram said:

I'm going to punt at page 201 before we get confirmation. Get posting rubbish gents. Oh wait.

I responded with this:

On 04/12/2020 at 13:42, Carl Sagan said:

That feels very optimistic. I say 247.

Long way to go yet...

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

found 'guilty' on one count and the result on the others undecided because of the appeal   So would be a rational offer to make to the EFL. Allows them to save face and the club to be sure of no points deduction

All we were "guilty" of was not making it clear enough for the EFL to understand that we had changed the way we amortised our players. 

The others we have been found not guilty, regardless of any appeal, we are not guilty, and we remain not guilty until such a time where we are found guilty. Why would anyone that has been found not guilty already offer to pay a fine? 

A bunch of rather stuffy 'holders of the rulebook' at the EFL are waiting for DCFC / new investors to buy back the stadium at which point they will find a way to show the club must write back the profit which will enable the EFL to finally have their pound of flesh at the expense of DCFC. I feel that is part of the delay.

27 minutes ago, rynny said:

All we were "guilty" of was not making it clear enough for the EFL to understand that we had changed the way we amortised our players. 

The others we have been found not guilty, regardless of any appeal, we are not guilty, and we remain not guilty until such a time where we are found guilty. Why would anyone that has been found not guilty already offer to pay a fine? 

one answer to your qn is: to have certainty, eg to allow a major transaction to proceed     another is: to improve relations with the regulator  

Archived