Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, roboto said:

This sounds like the news I want to hear ?. Also, more realistic an explanation than some of the recent consiparcy theories out there.

I know Steve Nicholson gets a bad rep these days for not breaking news first or seemingly not knowing anything, but the truth is he is a great reporter and one of a dying breed. I believe he posts his information when allowed to in good faith with the club. He learnt his trade from Gerald Mortimer, the best Derby County reporter there ever was.

Steve is just unlucky that the Telegraph are behind the curve when it comes to delivering news in todays world of social media and people wanting all the news yesterday. The amount of bottom feeder "journalists" on twitter who copy and paste "news" and "rumours" to get their following and click rate up is very disruptive to the media industry.

I think that Steve is a 'reporter'; i.e. he  reports news that he hears about and he does that well.

I think many people these days favour what I'd call 'journalism' where people like Ryan Conway add value by doing some analysis and adding their own perspectives on the team, analysing formations, searching out ex players and doing some interviews with them that are genuinely insightful etc

Now I don't want to draw too stark a divide between them. There is cross-over.  And I'm not saying Steve isn't capable of these things at all; rather that what is asked of him by the DT is different.  He needs to provide 'news' each day because that is what is demanded, whereas the Athletic can spend more time researching a theme in depth over a week or so, and then publishing an article

42 minutes ago, roboto said:

The guy is a mystery and I can see why that would show as red flags, but there is also no factual data out there to say he hasn't got any money. Can you find an article that says he has no money or funding?

His business portfolio is pretty impressive, and whilst his investments may not be household names to us, it says that he must know how to do business pretty well. Of course they will probably be hiding some investments that didn't work out too, we just don't know.

I'm not going to judge one way or another just yet. There's nothing I can do to help things along or stop things happening. Just strap in and get ready for some sort of ride. It might break down, it might spectacularly explode on take off, or it might just be the best damn roller coaster in the world!

In my opinion your posts do seem negative and critical, but I respect you have your opinion too. The club is divided at the moment, we have fans supporting the takeover and those against. Fans supporting the interim manager and those hoping he fails so they can get in a manager that not everyone will agree on also. We have players across the squad that are "marmite". We just need to respect each others opinions a bit more and not shout each other down, but have a rational and reasonable discussion and understand there are multiple sides to every story. 

I apologise that they come across negative and critical but with these things you have to be that with because I care about the club dearly and dont want it sold to the wrong person whilst we are heading to league one.

And it is not our job to prove he is skint, it is his job to prove he isn't - and so far he hasn't done that with numerous attempts to do so.

30 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Indeed facts are needed and an objective look at them required.

they could well be a bunch of barriers.........however the EFL have launched several sorties against our club, does that make us a bunch of dodgy shyster bamfords?

'barriers' - never heard that one.

It marks us out as having been financially reckless and increasingly desperate, but also cunning & resourceful - but most importantly of all we've acted within the accepted and agreed rules, and this has been proven.

That's a completely different situation anyway, and failing to pay someone what you owe them isn't cunning & resourceful, it's shoddy, disreputable & unethical business practice - we're not talking about a couple of grand here, it's half a million!

If this was a report about Fawaz owing half a million to someone, you'd be laughing your head off as you no doubt did every time they ended up with a winding up order because he was always so late paying suppliers

As it is the only thing some are doing with their heads seems to be sticking them in the sand.

I've never personally dealt with any of the tradesmen you see on Watchdog, doesn't mean I can't judge them on the evidence provided by the show!

The end of the month now, but the news from the club is that it's still going ahead. 

I would think for everyone's sanity, if there was any doubt that they would pump the brakes on it (at least publicly). However, I'm not exactly enthused by how this takeover has been played out, nor am I in any delusion that we're about to be the next Man City. 

The takeover has collapsed? Well, I for one could not have seen this coming....

If Sheikh Khaled ever takes over this club, I’ll change my username to ILoveLeedsUnited. It’s not happening, and it hasn’t been for weeks. Eventually the excuses just run out. The signs were there with the Newcastle takeover, I’m afraid Mel has been had.... again.

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The end of the month now, but the news from the club is that it's still going ahead. 

I would think for everyone's sanity, if there was any doubt that they would pump the brakes on it (at least publicly). However, I'm not exactly enthused by how this takeover has been played out, nor am I in any delusion that we're about to be the next Man City. 

So many questions need to be asked though.

Is this takeover a positive? Or are we going to find ourselves in the position of Orient, Blackpool, Chesterfield, Wigan, where an owner comes in and strips the club bare.

Where is Richard with his calming words and how the club are in for exciting times? I need him in my life right about now.

12 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

I apologise that they come across negative and critical but with these things you have to be that with because I care about the club dearly and dont want it sold to the wrong person whilst we are heading to league one.

And it is not our job to prove he is skint, it is his job to prove he isn't - and so far he hasn't done that with numerous attempts to do so.

You can post all the red flags you want but some people will just choose to waive them away mate. 

Many of our fans still regard Mel as some sort of genius because he pisses off Steve Gibson and the EFL, even though he's kept us away from points deductions etc by employing the kind of fiscal chicanery that we would all think of as dodgy as hell if it was being done by another club.

The signs for this lot don't look good.

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The takeover has collapsed? Well, I for one could not have seen this coming....

If Sheikh Khaled ever takes over this club, I’ll change my username to ILoveLeedsUnited. It’s not happening, and it hasn’t been for weeks. Eventually the excuses just run out. The signs were there with the Newcastle takeover, I’m afraid Mel has been had.... again.

Oh good. I have been waiting for the voice of reason.

21 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't think anybody is suggesting it will have an impact on our takeover?

The issue is it doesn't ease anybodys mind that he isnt paying his bills, does it?

13 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

You can post all the red flags you want but some people will just choose to waive them away mate. 

Many of our fans still regard Mel as some sort of genius because he pisses off Steve Gibson and the EFL, even though he's kept us away from points deductions etc by employing the kind of fiscal chicanery that we would all think of as dodgy as hell if it was being done by another club.

The signs for this lot don't look good.

We all do in some ways mate, i have for years under mel.

but the reality is, takeovers are different - you have to make your voice heard and be critical. there has been too many disasters under owners recently to ignore the red flags even if i get on peoples nerves.

30 minutes ago, GenBr said:

.... The first guy we tried to sell it to ended up in prison a few weeks later. He might have the right intentions, but that means diddly squat since their is absolutely no way he can know the true intentions of whoever ends up buying us. Just because Mel has a high net worth doesn't mean he has a lot of cash on hand - this could be a reason why he is desperate to sell.

I agree.  We have no idea what Mel's liquid assets are worth, but nontheless I'll cling on to the hope that we mean more to him than money.  

18 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I have no strong feelings for or against the takeover at this moment in time, but wasn’t the late payment strategy a much ridiculed Fawaz move of which the forest fans were given every excuse possible as to why it kept happening?

the late payments under fawaz only started happening when he lost interest, not before he joined!

2 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

I don't think anybody is suggesting it will have an impact on our takeover?

The issue is it doesn't ease anybodys mind that he isnt paying his bills, does it?

No particular reason it should hold up the takeover. 

In fact it could be a positive. Once the takeover happens and the club is an asset of BZI, the lawyers could send around the bailiffs and we could just give them Tom Lawrence.

Archived