Will Hughes

ViewsFromTheMiddle

4 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

There's something about Will Hughes that most of us on here don't see as a problem that professional football people in the EPL do see.  It doesn't appear to be any off the field stuff or training or broader football intelligence (though Watford aren't allowing him to train with the first team at the moment because of the contract situation), so you can only conclude that he either doesn't completely fit in with the systems that clubs play and isn't good enough to build a whole team philosophy around or that he's missing something technical - an extra yard of pace for example or general physicality that can't be taught or trained.

In recent times he's one of the Derby players that I have most enjoyed watching and for him to have a transfer value of around £5m to £10m, to be looking at clubs in the lower reaches of the PL and to have (apparently) few takers still seems puzzling.  Maybe mid/top Championship/lower PL is just his level.  Still very, very good in the greater scheme of life but not the England player we were all anticipating.

Sky sports reported last week that Hughes was offered better terms when Watford were promoted, Hughes alledgedly said(or agent) he was worth more, Watford called the bluff and sent him away to train elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Sadly, my predictions years ago, have proven to be true. Hughes simply just doesn’t do anything. He looks neat and tidy, but in this stats based industry, he contributes nothing. He’s made no headlines for goals, assists, protecting his defenders, covering ground, shots, pass accuracy or completion etc etc etc… what does he actually contribute? 

Saw some stats that last season with Will playing Watford had a 71% win percentage and  49% when he wasn’t 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Found the correct figures

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

https://theathletic.com/news/crystal-palace-close-to-finalising-deal-for-watfords-will-hughes/sTd48RvkV2MQ

"in the region of £6m"

"could rise closer to £10 million with potential add-ons"

We'll be due 900k if the 15% sell-on clause is true. 

If we get anything it will be a bonus 

Sad for the lad having to go Watford and then Crystal Palace for a higher standard of football - my experience of both places - Yuk

On 22/08/2021 at 15:19, ilkleyram said:

There's something about Will Hughes that most of us on here don't see as a problem that professional football people in the EPL do see.  It doesn't appear to be any off the field stuff or training or broader football intelligence (though Watford aren't allowing him to train with the first team at the moment because of the contract situation), so you can only conclude that he either doesn't completely fit in with the systems that clubs play and isn't good enough to build a whole team philosophy around or that he's missing something technical - an extra yard of pace for example or general physicality that can't be taught or trained.

In recent times he's one of the Derby players that I have most enjoyed watching and for him to have a transfer value of around £5m to £10m, to be looking at clubs in the lower reaches of the PL and to have (apparently) few takers still seems puzzling.  Maybe mid/top Championship/lower PL is just his level.  Still very, very good in the greater scheme of life but not the England player we were all anticipating.

To my mind it's two things. Will doesn't decisively effect the game enough. He's an amazing team player but does not score nearly enough goals or get enough assists.

Then, I never felt he was quite the same after his injury. 

I loved watching Will play as he was such an intelligent, skillful player who always knew what he was going to do with the ball before it reached him. But not affecting the game is why I think Giles Barnes in his wonder season looked a better academy product and would have had the world at his feet had he stayed fit. And Louie Sibley's attacking abilities and ball-striking make him potentially better than Will too. Let's hope it's Louie's breakthrough season where he scores 15-20 goals from midfield.

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

https://theathletic.com/news/crystal-palace-close-to-finalising-deal-for-watfords-will-hughes/sTd48RvkV2MQ

"in the region of £6m"

Do I dare say these numbers maybe show the amount Watford paid us for him was what he was worth?

You see Forest sell the likes of Burke for whatever daft figure it was and flop completely.

We didn't get that inflated UK based young player with potential fee, but at the time being one of our own, did we overvalue him?

Ultimately a player is worth what a club is willing to pay, just a shame coming off his injury and not in the managers plans ruined any possibility of that inflated fee.

5 hours ago, Jubbs said:

"in the region of £6m"

Isn't a sell-on clause normally on any profit though, rather than on the fee received? If so we'll get diddly-squat.

Just now, Gritstone Ram said:

Well according to people on here Rowett sold him for duck all so £900000 sounds about right.

John Percy & Owen Bradley both said £6m rising to £9m at the time, but some people selectively decided to ignore them and go with The Watford Observer's own valuation instead, as it allowed them to bash the club as normal.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Do I dare say these numbers maybe show the amount Watford paid us for him was what he was worth?

You see Forest sell the likes of Burke for whatever daft figure it was and flop completely.

He's in the last year of his contract, post-covid. Not a bad price then.