Jack Marriott - joined Sheff Wed on season long loan

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We've got 20+ goals coming back in to the team soon in the form of Lawrence and Waghorn. That will certainly help.

And that got us last season? 

20 minutes ago, Ram Bam said:

Tin hat on. Not arsed if Marriott goes even without a replacement coming in assuming the striker position is looked at in January (dursun?). Waghorn, Rooney, Kazim Richards plus the kids is enough to see us through 2 months. IMO Marriott just doesn't suit the way we play and would only be an impact sub to throw on if we go 2 up top when chasing a game.

I'm not saying he's a bad player and actually wouldn't mind if he signs an extension to his deal before he goes as it wouldn't surprise me if he scored regularly playing in a style that suits him, if that happens here then we can try to renintegrate him or cash in. I just don't think we're ever going to the see the best of him with the way we're setting ourselves up to play. I've said before,even in his first season his best games have always been counter attacking or with a second striker to support him. There were games under Lampard where the opposition sat deep and we had to dominate possession where he was completely anonymous in pretty much all of them. If that's the style we're going for going forward he's not the man for us.

The first part I agree fully.

The second not that much, I'm bit disappointed we didn't manage to sell him as I think he's kind of... well.... useless. And that might be the reason we didn't manage to sell him.

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I disagree, forgot about Holmes as well who can play either. 

For the 2: Bird, Knight, Shinnie & Bielik are all up to scratch

For the #10: Lawrence looks better centrally and offers double figure goals, Holmes is statistically one of the best progressive dribblers in the league, Sibley one of the most exciting youngsters in the country

...but yeah, nowhere near Championship-quality them lot ?

Bielik is working his way back from a serious injury, not a weekend in Budapest. Surely being Derby fans and having seen what such injuries did to George Thorne, we should temper our expectations for him. At least for this year.

Bird, Sibley and Knight are very talented, but they are still kids at the end of the day. Some days they will indeed look the part, but it’s too soon to be pinning our hopes on them. Again they need a year or two.

We all love Holmes and see that he is a talented player, but he is also sadly very injury prone and inconsistent.

Shinnie is a useful squad player, but as yet, he hasn’t shown signs of being anything more.

So in reality, it’s only Lawrence who is ready for the here and now and can be relied upon as a key player - and he’s still injured.

Let’s face it, once everyone is fit, he’d be lucky to warm the bench. Cocu won’t change the system to accommodate him so a loan is the best thing all round. And sending him to a club where he can bag 20 goals and they’ll still be stuck in the bottom 5 is very smart. No point sending him to a proper rival... 

As for Wickham, never really rated him, but providing Palace are paying a good proportion of his wages, I’ll give him a chance

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

We don’t score goals, Marriott is a goal scorer. Goals win games, please just help me, who is going to score goals In this team? 

We say goal scorer mate but he's scored very few for us and really didn't help out in the assist dept either.

Having said that,we are laying a lot of hope at the feet of a returning waghorn and a 34 year old player on the verge of retirement (we can put Rooney in that pot too).

The club has made some serious mistakes in the striker dept this season,it's been a catalogue of errors.

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I wonder if the recall and extra year has been put in, purely on the basis that Cocu may not be here and the new manager could fancy him? 

It smacks of Pearson and Martin, perhaps Mel learnt his lesson? 

The extra year is simply so if he does well we might get some cash. Equally if our January business doesn't work out or more injuries, we have this option.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We say goal scorer mate but he's scored very few for us and really didn't help out in the assist dept either.

Having said that,we are laying a lot of hope at the feet of a returning waghorn and a 34 year old player on the verge of retirement (we can put Rooney in that pot too).

The club has made some serious mistakes in the striker dept this season,it's been a catalogue of errors.

Yeah agree he hasn’t as yet but also hasn’t been given the opportunity and or service. But it’s more than that for me, we knew even before Martin left we needed strengthening  in that department and we’ve made it much weaker. You’re right some serious mistakes in that department, I'm Beginning to think that Cocu is that negative he doesn’t want us to score goals ?

7 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wasn’t Wickham at Wednesday last season? Can’t have fancied him that much if they haven’t tried again for him...

You say that but that's like saying Tomori, Mount and Wilson are all not worth having because we didn't try for them before they all ended up getting in a PL first team the season after.

With the contract extension this is beginning to make sense to me.

Jack isn’t fitting in with the system at the moment but he is a valuable player so .. either at some point our system may develop to best use his skills or when he comes back he will have some sale value to the club, at no cost because wendies will probably be covering this seasons wages. 

just waiting for deadline to see if there is a surprise in store

I have to say that I do feel a bit sorry for Jack.  A change of manager has brought a change of system and unfortunately for Jack, Cocu's system just doesn't suit him and so maybe this loan is for the best and will at least keep him playing/fit.  I wish him well and hope he does the business for Wednesday.

1 minute ago, jono said:

With the contract extension this is beginning to make sense to me.

Jack isn’t fitting in with the system at the moment but he is a valuable player so .. either at some point our system may develop to best use his skills or when he comes back he will have some sale value to the club, at no cost because wendies will probably be covering this seasons wages. 

just waiting for deadline to see if there is a surprise in store

Helpful hint #156 - sign a replacement then sell the player that you wish to leave.

19 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

And that got us last season? 

They produced a lot more than Marriott did that's for sure. He was underperforming, lacking in fitness and not suitable. It would have been pointless to keep banging our head against the wall with him. Maybe he goes to Sheffield and comes back fit, in form and confident and can contribute later this season or next.

I say this as a big fan of Marriott, for now this is a sensible move.

8 minutes ago, TomG said:

I have to say that I do feel a bit sorry for Jack.  A change of manager has brought a change of system and unfortunately for Jack, Cocu's system just doesn't suit him and so maybe this loan is for the best and will at least keep him playing/fit.  I wish him well and hope he does the business for Wednesday.

Thing is. Lampard didn't play him either.

Archived