Jack Marriott - joined Sheff Wed on season long loan

Animal is a Ram

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

They produced a lot more than Marriott did that's for sure. He was underperforming, lacking in fitness and not suitable. It would have been pointless to keep banging our head against the wall with him. Maybe he goes to Sheffield and comes back fit, in form and confident and can contribute later this season or next.

I say this as a big fan of Marriott, for now this is a sensible move.

Yeah maybe you’re right, just think it’s going to be another long hard and boring season with little attacking football to enjoy.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wonder if Marriott going out, means a last ditch attempt to hijack Wilson deal? But to be honest from what Cocu was saying, it’s going to be another free agent, gestade? Feel for jack, we haven’t played to his strengths, plus also feel the contract extension is so we can get a fee for him in the summer. Here’s hoping for at least one surprise incoming today.

2 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

Just wonder if Marriott going out, means a last ditch attempt to hijack Wilson deal? But to be honest from what Cocu was saying, it’s going to be another free agent, gestade? Feel for jack, we haven’t played to his strengths, plus also feel the contract extension is so we can get a fee for him in the summer. Here’s hoping for at least one surprise incoming today.

I wouldn't mind Gestede at all. In fact, in comparison to those we've been linked with, I'd be extremely happy with Gestede. 

3 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

You can't really play to strengths that don't exist. Marriott has been garbage since the Playoffs all that time ago. Plus he's nowhere near as fast as people seem to think he is.

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I wouldn't mind Gestede at all. In fact, in comparison to those we've been linked with, I'd be extremely happy with Gestede. 

The same Gestede that most recently refused to train because he wanted a bigger move and was creating toxicity round the training ground so was told in no uncertain terms by Warnock to go home and not bother coming back? 

He sounds ideal 

1 minute ago, Derbados said:

The same Gestede that most recently refused to train because he wanted a bigger move and was creating toxicity round the training ground so was told in no uncertain terms by Warnock to go home and not bother coming back? 

He sounds ideal 

In fairness... I really couldn't care less at this stage. It's absolutely the best we will get at this stage. 

34 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Bielik is working his way back from a serious injury, not a weekend in Budapest. Surely being Derby fans and having seen what such injuries did to George Thorne, we should temper our expectations for him. At least for this year.

Bird, Sibley and Knight are very talented, but they are still kids at the end of the day. Some days they will indeed look the part, but it’s too soon to be pinning our hopes on them. Again they need a year or two.

We all love Holmes and see that he is a talented player, but he is also sadly very injury prone and inconsistent.

Shinnie is a useful squad player, but as yet, he hasn’t shown signs of being anything more.

So in reality, it’s only Lawrence who is ready for the here and now and can be relied upon as a key player - and he’s still injured.

So Lawrence in the 10 with Rooney and 1 of the others, whichever is in-form behind. That also leaves plenty of cover?

Just now, clamped said:

Sounds like we've extended his contract whilst loaning him out? Very confusing. I'm guessing for financial reasons but is he likely to be in our plans next season?

He'd be on a free in the Summer if we hadn't.

If he does well at Wednesday then we should be able to get a £1m+ fee from them or someone else when we sell him.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just now, Carnero said:

He'd be on a free in the Summer if we hadn't.

If he does well at Wednesday then we should be able to get a £1m+ fee from them or someone else when we sell him.

Makes perfect sense to me.

The underlying issue for me is that we trust another team to make our players more valuable than ourselves. 

Maybe Wednesday will take on Sibley and Bird too, if we ask them nicely ?

Marriott. - this move makes total sense - extend his contract to retain our investment whilst he gets football because he doesn’t get selected here and we can bring him back in January if we want to.

Cocu has moved on basically everyone who simply was soaking up wages without contributing ( Marriott only marginally ) whilst we have actually brought in a lot of players - I would have liked Wilson mind 

20 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Yeah maybe you’re right, just think it’s going to be another long hard and boring season with little attacking football to enjoy.

I think you might also be right there. I am holding out a hope that when we actually do have a full squad to pick from that something will click and we'll see an upturn. A bit like last season but less temporary.

If not, Cocu will get sacked and Rooney and John Gregory can lead us to glory.

This is a good move, in my opinion. I don't particularly rate Jack - in his first year he seemed clinical in what was a very clinical team - but since then his finishing has been no better than any of our other forwards.

In his three years at Derby, in terms of minutes on the pitch, he is still 10 games short of a single full Championship season (46 games).

Also, the recall option protects us a little from the shenanigans of the past - if he does find his health / his form. 

Archived