Jack Marriott - joined Sheff Wed on season long loan

Animal is a Ram

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Sorry, I presumed you were talking about Rooney in midfield.

But the same applies. I don’t really see anywhere in the first eleven that is right for Rooney and a spot where we wouldn’t suffer due to his lack of fitness and athleticism.

The Championship is such a physical league these days.

I don’t think we should concern ourselves with the ‘pathway for the youngsters’ but more with whether we have sufficient quality and blend. There will always be a pathway for young players that prove themselves to be good enough.

Well at this point, I think it’s too late to even speculate about that now. I think our business is finished and we’ll have to live with our mistakes.

We need to get the penny jar out and start saving for next summer now.

This I do agree with, however he's proved that he can still win matches and that's an important trait. It's a balancing act with Rooney now, he's a great luxury to have but we shouldn't rely on him in any position. 

My first choice XI, excluding any potential incomings today:

Waghorn

Ibe               Lawrence       Jozwiak

Knight/Bird             Bielik

Buchanan     Clarke      MTW/Wisdom    Byrne

Marshall

Holmes, Sibley & Rooney as impact subs. If that team can find form, I think its top 6 quality 

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You've watched him, he's like a fish out of water with the way we try to play. We need a focal point.

12 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

We have three strikers for one spot. How many strikers you'd want? Getting rid of Marriott makes complete sense as he is not suitable for the role, all three others are better options.

It's another argument for another day, but this is only half my issue. We know the recruitment team hasn't changed in the last 3-4 years so why did we sign him in the first place? 

How many players do we actually sign and make a profit on. If you take out the academy lads, it's an absolutely appalling figure. 

My argument is that decisions, such as this, are absolutely fine considering the team comes out better for it. If we are a top 6 side this season, following this, then absolutely fine. The club have made the right decisions and shown improvement for it. However, equally, if they do turn out to be bad decisions and bad moves then someone needs to be held accountable. 

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

This I do agree with, however he's proved that he can still win matches and that's an important trait. It's a balancing act with Rooney now, he's a great luxury to have but we shouldn't rely on him in any position. 

Waghorn

Marshall

Holmes, Sibley & Rooney as impact subs. If that team can find form, I think its top 6 quality 

Nice line up - after I realised you didnt mean Waggy in goal

For flexibility, Bielik could drop into a back 3/5.

You could bring Duncan in as a second striker at the expense of one of the three AMs.

9 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

"I'm just relieved to be here, and kick on now," Marriott told Sheffield Wednesday's YouTube channel.

"It was probably earlier on in the week me and my agent heard of the interest, and it was very appealing to me. I just want to be playing football, enjoying football, as any footballer does. I am just relieved it is done, and I can focus now."

Little bit of a dig here in a weird way same as lowe and malone makes you wonder if something going on at the club 

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Nice line up - after I realised you didnt mean Waggy in goal

For flexibility, Bielik could drop into a back 3/5.

You could bring Duncan in as a second striker at the expense of one of the three AMs.

I like both of those ideas. Actually, bringing back the sweeper position for Bielik is something I've considered before (and think would probably work); so out of possession, he falls into a back 5 but in possession, he carries the ball forward and augments into the midfield 3- Knight's running would suit this plan too

2 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Little bit of a dig here in a weird way same as lowe and malone makes you wonder if something going on at the club 

Or players who weren't good enough, consistent enough or injury-free enough to stake a claim for a regular starting place.

Sour grapes to cover whichever of these reasons they fell under.

Thanks to Jack for twotting Dirty Leeds in the play-offs; a great moment - but we've waited and waited for him to blossom, but he's wilted.

He might help SWFC to overhaul their points deficit if he stays fit & focussed - and plays as a striker and not a target-man.

He could knock around after his treatment-table bouts in S Yorks with Jozey Dozeyzoom nearby in Rotherham...ohh wait - Social Distancing!

We need a compact squad where players contribute, in their rightful position, rather than just attract conjecture. We ain't there yet!

20 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

Don’t understand this one? Waghorn has fitness issues and Rooney isn’t a striker anymore. 
With JHI not even making a start yet and this new geezer we have signed who’s 34, it’s a massive gamble letting Marriott go.

what happens if waggy gets injured again and JHI and the new guy don’t live up to expectations? Last season taught us that the months building up to XMAS are so important for the end of the season

Absolutely. The decisions that we're making on transfers is quite frankly, baffling, underwhelming and seriously risky. We've brought in a journeyman who was so happy to be here that he was virtually smoking a Cuban during his video "Welcome to Derby" , and now we've let go our only other currently fit striker to a rival. And for those who say Marriott doesn't suit our system, what about play-offs V Leeds away, Man Utd away, and other goals he's scored (Norwich away last season). He needs a run of games and an intelligent midfielder to feed him the ball. That's all FFS!. 

Absolutely baffling. I thought the Dutch people were known for pragmatism and intelligence. 

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's another argument for another day, but this is only half my issue. We know the recruitment team hasn't changed in the last 3-4 years so why did we sign him in the first place? 

Because Lampard wanted him

Lampard left though

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

My argument is that decisions, such as this, are absolutely fine considering the team comes out better for it. If we are a top 6 side this season, following this, then absolutely fine. The club have made the right decisions and shown improvement for it. However, equally, if they do turn out to be bad decisions and bad moves then someone needs to be held accountable. 

This is I think what it all boils down to

I have no expectation of us being a top 6 side this year

Next year yes

This year no

Build the squad this year - Challenge next year

Just now, cheron85 said:

Because Lampard wanted him

Lampard left though

This is I think what it all boils down to

I have no expectation of us being a top 6 side this year

Next year yes

This year no

Build the squad this year - Challenge next year

Don’t you feel this is the disappointment of being a Ram, every season is “one of transition” and everything is “building for the future”.

Of course we must plan for the future as a club and a business and the projected 4 year plan is in its second year. 
My concern is we won’t realise the four year plan as it currently stands. 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. The decisions that we're making on transfers is quite frankly, baffling, underwhelming and seriously risky. We've brought in a journeyman who was so happy to be here that he was virtually smoking a Cuban during his video "Welcome to Derby" , and now we've let go our only other currently fit striker to a rival. And for those who say Marriott doesn't suit our system, what about play-offs V Leeds away, Man Utd away, and other goals he's scored (Norwich away last season). He needs a run of games and an intelligent midfielder to feed him the ball. That's all FFS!. 

Absolutely baffling. I thought the Dutch people were known for pragmatism and intelligence. 

I’ve probably jinxed it now, but with JHI going to Carlisle, we are heavily reliant on two old players up front in Rooney and Colin. I prefer Waghorn out wide  but he might have to be our main striker until jan. if all 3 get injured (which is very likely) then we will genuinely be screwed 

40 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Which is why we've brought in Kazim-Richards who is a battler with a real physical presence to offer a more combative approach but everyone is bemoaning that as well

Who would you realistically bring in that would improve either of those areas without blocking gametime for the academy lads?

When did you last see Kalimantan-Richards play?since a spell at Blackburn (28 ) game’s he has played at pretty obscure

level.He’s only come because he knows Rosenior.recruitment team is dire.

36 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You've watched him, he's like a fish out of water with the way we try to play. We need a focal point.

Ahh yes. Square; or backwards slowly. And try not to get the opposition keeper's shorts dirty. Try and win a free kick late on around their box and let Wayne do the rest. Yep, we don't need any striking options.

23 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Waghorn

Marshall

Midfield being over run is the next problem to overcome. If any of these combinations does that then I agree, YR 

Its a good move, he isn't fit & he hasnt played properly in ages. Hope he can get into the Wednesday side, get a run of games, start scoring. If he gets his fitness & sharpness back we can hopefully recall him in Jan & he becomes the player most of us think he can be 

Even though I don't mind us loaning him out because he has not been working, if we sign nobody today our business in terms of strikers has been absolutely dog poo. Yes we have signed other decent players and we are trying to be tight with money and I don't mind us signing Kazim, but if we let Marriott and Martin go with Kazim and Duncan in that is shocking to be honest. I don't agree with completely wrighting off Kazim yet but with Waghorn injured, Rooney not a good option upfront anymore and Duncan Unproven it's looking pretty damn poor. 

4 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

When did you last see Kalimantan-Richards play?since a spell at Blackburn (28 ) game’s he has played at pretty obscure

level.He’s only come because he knows Rosenior.recruitment team is dire.

Watched what I can find in the last couple of seasons in Mexico to get a feel for his playing style. Big, combative presence; wouldn't call him technically brilliant but he's a battler which is a critical trait we've been seeking in a striker, someone to bully opposition defenders. 

Also, think that's a bit of a cheap shot at Rosenior. He's not solely in charge of recruitment and pragmatically, no matter how many players you scout, getting a deal over the line sometimes proves impossible. He's not even in charge of securing transfers so think you're bang out of order targeting him there.

Archived