Jack Marriott - joined Sheff Wed on season long loan

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gritty said:

Not sure there's much wrong with midfield with everyone fit.  We've got Bielik, Rooney, Bird, Shinnie, Holmes, Knight, Evans and Sibley who can all play midfield

Quote me in 2022 and I’d agree because Bielik, Knight, Bird and Sibley would all be further along in their development.

But at this point I think we are skating on thin ice in that position. It’s one thing being able to play in midfield, it’s another thing being able to do it well and to the team’s benefit.

The numbers are there, but is the quality, is the balance, is the consistency, is the reliability?

Here’s how I’ve got to the conclusion we need a midfielder:

Bielik - he is returning from a serious, long term injury, odds are he will need to be managed carefully and will be at risk of setbacks.

Rooney - there are massive question marks over his fitness and physical suitability for the Championship, recent reports would suggest that he is too exhausted from angling for the manager’s job to play in midfield.

Holmes - he is a talented player but he has terribly bad luck with injuries which makes him difficult to build the team around and also affects his chances of being consistent.

Shinnie - he is a decent squad player but clearly struggles with the possession side of the game and on the whole is unlikely to be a major part of Cocu’s plans.

Evans - another solid squad player but one who Cocu sees as primarily a CB, so should he even be considered as a midfield option?

Bird, Knight, Sibley - all have a claim for being part of our ‘midfield of the future’ but right now they will need to be managed carefully as they will suffer peaks and troughs in performance and it might weigh heavily on them having to be key players so soon in their career development. You can already see it affecting Bird and Sibley.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I seriously hope we have another in in the pipeline. As much as Marriott hasn't been especially effective throughout his time here, he is at least an option.

Exactly, we were short anyway up front and we have brought in only a half option really. Waghorn is not fit, Rooney might be better suited in the 10 or midfield role now and CZR is a temporary punt.

This is absolutely ducking ridiculous. I honestly don't know what else to say. Absolutely ducking ridiculous. 

What an absolute shambles: first spending the amount of money on him we did and then just giving him away to apparently bring in no replacement. This club is an utter embarrassment at times. 

How can we possibly get out the rut of signing bad players and then giving them away for next to nothing if absolutely nothing behind the scenes ever changes? 

As others have quite rightly said, surely there has to be another coming in?? 

offloading Marriott and losing Martin leaves us with:  

An ageing, unfit Rooney who shouldn’t be anywhere anywhere near the strikers role 

A semi fit Waghorn recovering from injury, not kicked a ball this season 

An unfit Bobby Duncan, not played competitively in ages 

Academy graduate JHI - not kicked a ball for us in anger in the league yet this season.

34 year old journeyman CKR with an appalling goalscoring record 

our attacking options are seriously weak!

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I seriously hope we have another in in the pipeline. As much as Marriott hasn't been especially effective throughout his time here, he is at least an option.

This.

Not that bothered about losing him as an individual. He is never fit, scored about 2 goals in 18 months at this point and every time he's out of the penalty area he acts like the NBA players on Space Jam who've lost their talent and he can't make a 5 yard pass or control the ball.

With all that said, we simply have to replace him with someone.

All summer we've needed a striker.

This is with Marriott and Waghorn.

We've signed one. A washed up journeyman from Mexico.

Letting Marriott go means we will need another striker.

If we don't bring someone else in to replace Marriott and Kazim-Richards is the replacement.

Then this club is the absolute pits.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Here’s how I’ve got to the conclusion we need a midfielder:

Bielik 

Rooney 

Holmes 

Shinnie 

Evans 

Bird, Knight, Sibley

8 players for 2/3 positions - I think we have enough cover to play several different ways even given the possibilty for injuries or changes in form

We also have Lawrence who can play AM and (it seems) most of our attackers can play a 3 man AM behind a striker and then 2 Mids in behind

Midfield is not a priority position

4 minutes ago, inter politics said:

If we don't have a replacement, then from a footballing purpose, we absolutely should not be sanctioning this move

Got to assume they're looking at Duncan and Hector-Ingram coming through surely?

Waggers, Kazim-Richards, Rooney, Duncan, Hector-Ingram

Pretty much everyone seems to agree that getting the best out of Marriott would mean changing the formation and/or style of play so why would we get another player in who plays that role?

Archived