Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

2 minutes ago, jono said:

A claimed ITK person suggested to me the other day that now the old guard have departed, Marriott is our top earner at 15k per week. 

TBH regardless of ITK i have a feeling that there is more truth to this than us all thinking everyone is on 30k a week. It has to happen sooner or later. 

As to Louie .. i'd be so disappointed, he's going to be a real dynamic strike bomber of a player but if the price is right and the academy is going to continue to make good stuff then its part of life outside the mega clubs and the prem.

Wouldn't surprise me. Take Ibe for example. He's probably on close to that. But it's topped up with clauses. Appearance bonus, assist, goal and promotion. That's how we attract players. This is the minimum you'll earn and you can get paid significantly more if you are successful. 

Bogle was reported to be on £9k a week only due to the courts citing this. 

We don't need to sell the guy. But someone could come in with the perfect offer for us and him. In all seriousness that is a minimum of £20m and a loan back until the end of next season. 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, jono said:

A claimed ITK person suggested to me the other day that now the old guard have departed, Marriott is our top earner at 15k per week. 

TBH regardless of ITK i have a feeling that there is more truth to this than us all thinking everyone is on 30k a week. It has to happen sooner or later. 

As to Louie .. i'd be so disappointed, he's going to be a real dynamic strike bomber of a player but if the price is right and the academy is going to continue to make good stuff then its part of life outside the mega clubs and the prem.

Lawrence is on more, he's on between £25-30k, Davies is on £20k+, pretty sure Wisdom is on more than Marriott as well

17 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Painful as it would be (and I'm not convinced there's anything in this story), we are a club who are having to rely more and more on bringing through young players from the academy then selling to allow us to strengthen other areas of the squad.

If it has to happen then fair enough but we MUST NOT sell below realistic market value, otherwise we will (If we already don't) have a reputation for being easy to negotiate with. 

I think we have to be prepared to be disappointed on that front.

We have never been known as a club that gets top dollar for its talent.

You might as well forget market value. I highly doubt it will factor into the club’s thinking.

It’s all about whether the deal helps us with our immediate needs.

If we sold Hughes for £8m, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sell Sibley for £10m.

People are getting their knickers in a twist for no reason. It’s the usual journalistic rubbish picked up from Bielsa who said that Noel Cantwell and Sibley have been monitored along with others but that it’s highly unlikely any move would be made before the transfer deadline. 

17 minutes ago, JfR said:

"As for Cantwell and Sibley, Orta made no secret of the fact that they have been considered by his recruitment team. The YEP understands that Leeds' consideration of the latter has gone as far as making enquiries for the 19-year-old attacking midfielder, who scored a hat-trick against Leeds Under 23s last season and featured in the Championship game at Pride Park, but there are currently no plans in place to make a move before Friday's deadline."

Orta is a Bamford, shouldn't talk about interest in another clubs player full stop, never mind when you haven't even made a bid. 

Unsettles a player and gets the vultures (aka agents) circling for their fees. 

21 minutes ago, JfR said:

"As for Cantwell and Sibley, Orta made no secret of the fact that they have been considered by his recruitment team. The YEP understands that Leeds' consideration of the latter has gone as far as making enquiries for the 19-year-old attacking midfielder, who scored a hat-trick against Leeds Under 23s last season and featured in the Championship game at Pride Park, but there are currently no plans in place to make a move before Friday's deadline."

A bit odd to name future targets. Are they just trying to unsettle Sibley?

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

A bit odd to name future targets. Are they just trying to unsettle Sibley?

I think it's more likely a case of we know we'll have to pay X but you continue to be on our radar and we watch with great interest. 

If they came in for him now, or Jan or next summer, they'd expect to have to pay the same. 

You only name transfer targets publicly with one aim.........to unsettle the player.

Theres no other reason to release this info into the public domain. It’s particularly interesting that Sibley and cantwell are mentioned together, definitely a whiff of playing them off against each other!

16 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

You only name transfer targets publicly with one aim.........to unsettle the player.

Theres no other reason to release this info into the public domain. It’s particularly interesting that Sibley and cantwell are mentioned together, definitely a whiff of playing them off against each other!

Can see Sibbo paying L**ds scummers similar respect back - like when they were 'welcomed' onto the PP pitch. ? 

40 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think we have to be prepared to be disappointed on that front.

You might as well forget market value. I highly doubt it will factor into the club’s thinking.

It’s all about whether the deal helps us with our immediate needs.

If we sold Hughes for £8m, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sell Sibley for £10m.

Seen this rhetoric banded about a fair bit recently and it kinda annoys me. You ''highly  doubt'' we'd want to get the best possible price for our youngsters...really? Mel wouldn't be our owner without his business acumen, you think he'd abandon that now?

Re. ''immediate needs'', the whole club's stargety has transitioned from short to long term in recent years and our incomings now reflect that. Youngsters and bargains rather than splashing millions on older players. Covid may not have helped in the Bogle and Lowe deal in that every club was suddenly cash-strapped and was benefitted by outgoings for decent fees. However, I think it's naive to think that's still the norm. 

In regards to Sibley, all current information points towards wanting a striker and maybe an extra defender. Our ''immediate needs'' can both be achieved on loan, with our outgoings offsetting bigger wage demands, remind me what our ''immediate needs'' are that require the £10-25m that selling Sibley would generate?

We're all Derby fans & so is Sibley but if i was him id jump at the chance to go. Other than it being Leeds why wouldn't you. 

Big club, big wage rise, the chance to work and develop under bielsa and if you play well enough the chance for an England call. He'd be silly not to consider it 

Every player has his price. If the right offer comes in then the club have to sell. We are in  no position to refuse. As has been said the academy is there for this precise reason. Under normal circumstances we may have an option to keep him, nurture him and then eventually sell for even more money but in the current pickle EFL clubs are in we cant refuse a fair offer. As to what is fair is another matter for Mel.

46 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Seen this rhetoric banded about a fair bit recently and it kinda annoys me. You ''highly  doubt'' we'd want to get the best possible price for our youngsters...really? Mel wouldn't be our owner without his business acumen, you think he'd abandon that now?

Re. ''immediate needs'', the whole club's stargety has transitioned from short to long term in recent years and our incomings now reflect that. Youngsters and bargains rather than splashing millions on older players. Covid may not have helped in the Bogle and Lowe deal in that every club was suddenly cash-strapped and was benefitted by outgoings for decent fees. However, I think it's naive to think that's still the norm. 

In regards to Sibley, all current information points towards wanting a striker and maybe an extra defender. Our ''immediate needs'' can both be achieved on loan, with our outgoings offsetting bigger wage demands, remind me what our ''immediate needs'' are that require the £10-25m that selling Sibley would generate?

Why does it annoy you?

For one, I never said that Mel doesn’t want to get the best possible deal for our youngsters.

Of course, any owner would. That goes without saying.

But for a club in our financial situation, it has been apparent for some time that the balance sheet drives our decision making, not necessarily achieving market value. That was my point.

When was the last time you looked at an outgoing deal and thought we’ve got a really good and fair deal?

When I speak about our immediate needs, it goes beyond strengthening the squad but also extends to the costs of running the club and the overall financial position of the club.

If we are losing millions per month and we are in the middle of a global financial crisis - one that doesn’t look like easing any time soon - then of course selling Sibley will be under consideration, even if it’s below what is considered market value.

So, yes, if it addresses our immediate needs, I think the club will press forward with it.

That could be £5 million or £15 million. Let’s see.

How many games has Sibley played? Has he reached double figures yet? He isn’t going to go to Leeds and play therefore considering that and then adding to the fact he’s a Derby fan who has just achieved his dream of playing for the first team, there is no way he’d want to leave. Learn from Bielsa, he can spend another year learning from Rooney (a top player in his day) and Cocu, a proven record at developing young talent and a world class player himself.

Only way this is happening is if we’re desperate to sell and force him out

Archived