Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

The first thing to say is it's good our players are being talked about. If they weren't great prospects, no one would be interest. The better they do, the more they will be linked with clubs in a higher division so I want everyone to get used to it.

The second thing to say is that I absolutely love Louie Sibley. For me he's on a par with Giles Barnes makes him two of the finest prospects ever to come from our academy, as both look capable of doing that thing in football that's so difficult - unlocking defenders and scoring a lot of goals. The great thing is that Louie is also a genuine fan and really does seem to have his head screwed on and is determined to keep working hard and improving. For a young lad, so far he's also a model professional.

The third thing to say is that Louie knows if he works hard and continues to improve his game he'll get the chance to play for Derby, the club he loves, and help us up the league, maybe to promotion.

The fourth thing to say is football is absolutely full of players who didn't fulfil their potential.  Who people expected great things of, but it never happened. If Leeds offered £20m up front I think the club, thinking with head rather than heart, would be mad not to consider it.

I hope Louie stays, improves, scores and makes shedloads of goals and leads Derby on a glorious promotion campaign and plays for England for many years. But I would still take the money if it was massive. I wouldn't consider it if it wasn't massive.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I mean, Mel has said for ages he's not investing any of his own money into the club anymore. We sold our stadium to ourselves. We sold 2 assets to the club for duck all. We didn't spend any money until we had sold the 2 players. 

If you find me that direct quote from Mel then I'll get the Forest badge tattooed on my arse. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If you find me that direct quote from Mel

I'll try to find it. I'm pretty sure he has but happily proven wrong. But if we was still happy investing his own money, why is he looking for investment/open to selling? 

Just now, Jubbs said:

I'll try to find it. I'm pretty sure he has but happily proven wrong. But if we was still happy investing his own money, why is he looking for investment/open to selling? 

We aren't even remotely close to breaking even so if it's not his money going into the club then the only other alternative is us going into administration, which makes the signing of Jozwiak (nevermind anyone else) even more bizarre. 

He's had to adhere to P&S regulations and obviously he wants the promotion payday, but until then he's paying for us to survive and he's still keeping us competitive - he's not asset stripped the club. 

14 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Please tell me why you think we're not skint.

For some more context, we furloughed 120 non-playing staff, we also furloughed U23's. We're rapidly losing money without gate receipts, yes along with other clubs, but we rely a lot on gate receipts. 

Thousands of companies furloughed employees, including many professional sports organisations - does that mean they're all skint?

I have no idea what our current financial status is and unless you have a direct link to either Stephen Pearce or Mel Morris then I'd suggest neither have you.

What's your definition of skint in relation to Derby County?

Money talks.

If Leeds stump up the money, it'll happen.

Players are assets to the club and if any and every asset has its price. I'm sure Leeds wouldn't be his first choice to go to, but they're in the prem and can no doubt offer him bigger wages to sweeten it.

What would most annoy me is the football press would credit Leeds with his development and bielsa as making him a good player.

Well, that, and we'd be weaker without him.

Sibley has huge potential and that’s what any possible buyer will be paying for.

We are a selling club these days, sadly. And Mel has said the academy has to contribute to funding.

Trying to remain neutral and not see a Leeds as utter scroats, this makes sense for Leeds, he’d certainly fit their style and system and despite spending a ton of lolly they haven’t really strengthened their central midfield areas.

Hope this is just BS rumours but if not we need to be commanding a 20m + fee for one of our Crown Jewels!

51 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Mel has said multiple times that he doesn't want to invest any of his own money any more AND has said he wants 50% academy players in the side, what a convenience. 

Can you point me to the instances where Mel has said that?

As for the academy making up half of the first team, it's not a bad idea. It's a great way of providing a sustainable (not skint, sustainable) method of running a club. It doesn't always work out as academy products aren't always capable of stepping up, but there is no problem in trying.

Would be devastating to lose a player of Sibley’s immense potential, especially to a vile club like Leeds, but I guess, as always, when Premier League clubs come calling there’s little you can do to keep a hold of a player. I guess you could argue he’s still very raw and probably not a starter for us yet, so the short term impact of his departure wouldn’t be that significant. But still, not a nice thought at all - though sadly in our financial plight, a thought we might have to accept.

15 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

Like the vast majority of us on this forum LOUIE is a Derby fan ... what part of the scinario  do you not comprehend  WE ALL - - - - - - -  HATE LEEDS .... but im sure a fee of £150 million maybe accepted   

Not enough..?

To be honest if I was Louie I’d be all over this. As a club we should only accept 20 million plus but for Louie he’ll be able to learn under one of the greatest managers in the world and he’ll play prem football. Irrespective of the club it’s a fantastic opportunity for him which I think he should take to further his career 

Lots of assumptions being made about our financial situation here by people that don’t really know. If we do sell him on the cheap and we don’t reinvest then that will answer the question but I’ve seen nothing come out of the club indicating that we need to sell further players to bring players in for the areas we are targeting, which I also believe is one more player - a striker. 

Therefore it comes down to two questions (that’s after the first question in that are Leeds actually interested?!) Does the player  want to go to Leeds right now? Do we need to sell him? 

If the answer to both of those is no - which I think there is a high probability the answer to these questions will be no, then its either offer big money or jog on. If Leeds want to try and get him on the cheap this won’t happen.

Unless we are in desperate financial plight and have to sell to stay afloat or meet P&S, the fact we’re only looking to sign one more player says to me we don’t need to sell so why would we unless it’s an offer we just can’t turn down?

If we get good money, with good clauses then it's a good move for all involved.

May hurt but we can't stop players, especially young academy talent from progressing.

I feel like we're going to need a little more experience in that position to get out of this league anyway.

Archived