V Blackburn (A) Matchday Thread

peachmyster
Message added by Day

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a good weekend everyone! 

Don't let all this bring your mood down, too much. In a decade we'll be looking back at Cocu's first year in his glorious reign and laugh about how bad it was. ?

I don't think our squad is anywhere near as bad as is being made out. We should have a competitive team challenging at the top end. 

But at the moment Cocu and his team seem to have little or no idea about how to get them playing and playing with a threat. That is his issue and it needs sorting or he should be shown the door. 

I remember amid all the excitement on here when Cocu was on the way a poster said be careful what you wish for.. Cocus teams play dour defensive football. I seem to recall the guy was from Holland so saw lots of Cocus team play. Well he was right. 

Cocu needs to get it together and fast as all the evidence available says he is taking us backwards and the brakes are not working. 

5 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

By this time in his tenure, we were near the top of the league. But I do this the players are letting themselves down. It's not all down to Cocu. Also, this team overall probably doesn't have the quality of Jim Smith's team. 

The championship team that Jim got us promoted with was produced by wheeling and dealing. Bringing in players like Ronnie Willems, Gary Rowett, Daryl Powell, Dean Yates, Van De laan and yes of course Stimac. But Stimac apart these were not top players, they were players who did a job alongside our young players like Carsley and Sturridge who he brought on. It was well coached and organised and everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing. We played one system and there was obvious team spirit and togetherness right from the off. Good management and coaching

11 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Well yea, obviously they were playing better. They had 3 players around them that are now international level footballers. You could put Mount, Wilson and Tomori in Barnsley and their squad would start playing loads better. Look how crap we were under McClaren once Thorne and Martin were out injured, it was night and day.

Billy Davies got us promoted with Gary Teale, John Macken and Craig Fagan.  Cocu needs to stick with the 'attacking' players that beat Boro.  It was criminal for him to change the strikers after forest.  Is it any co-incidence that at forest away we had more shots on target (7) than in our last three away games.  We are getting worse with only one shot on target in 180 minutes of away football

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Another abysmal away performance. But not our worst - anyone who says so is just suffering from recency bias; off-the-ball, we were pretty good. 

On the ball we continue to lack energy. We continue to lack passing accuracy. We continue to lack any sort of movement that even begins to trouble defenders. And we continue to fail to put any rare shots on target.

Until, as usual, a 5-10 minute spell at the end where we do have energy, we do have movement and we do have passing accuracy - proving that all players are capable. But too little, too late as usual. All that really achieves is making me more annoyed at the players for not doing that all game.

Roll on January. Then, probably - roll on the summer. 

If we're still a mid-table team come the 7th December 2020, maybe I'll consider hopping onboard the Cocu-out train. Until then, just suck it all up folks. This is what we are, for now.

I'm afraid that's more the opposition dropping off to protect a lead than our swashbuckling endeavour.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's not just that though. They can't do the basics right any more. This is our worst away run in 11 years, you really are going to argue the players aren't underperforming?

Good post. Everyone is underperforming. Even with a weaker squad than last season, we shouldn't be this bad away from home. Sack the players or sack the manager. Personally, I hope it's the players. January we can get some new signings in who might actually show some bottle.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Have a good weekend everyone! 

Don't let all this bring your mood down, too much. In a decade we'll be looking back at Cocu's first year in his glorious reign and laugh about how bad it was. ?

I won't be bleeding laughing if the red dogs scramble up and we're stuck with this to watch.

8 minutes ago, Emson said:

Where are @Paul, @86 Schmokes & a Pancake, @reverendo de duivel , @Mucker1884

Why have they gone so mysteriously silent ? 

Please, lend us your knowing expertise in our hour of need

Let us hear the positive spin and how everything is going to be ok - don't be shy .....!

Pretty sure 3 of them have posted ?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Mckram said:

When Weimann was here everyone said he was shocking?!

I didn’t cherry pick the players. The rest still play for us with the exception of Vydra and Carson.

I’d say the only better player we had back then was Vydra.

So you’d take Johnson, Jerome and Weimann over Beilik, Marriott and Waghorn?

No I’d take them over, Dowell, Paterson & Waghorn

2 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

The championship team that Jim got us promoted with was produced by wheeling and dealing. Bringing in players like Ronnie Willems, Gary Rowett, Daryl Powell, Dean Yates, Van De laan and yes of course Stimac. But Stimac apart these were not top players, they were players who did a job alongside our young players like Carsley and Sturridge who he brought on. It was well coached and organised and everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing. We played one system and there was obvious team spirit and togetherness right from the off. Good management and coaching

I loved that team. We had everything and the mix of players complimented each other perfectly. We should have won the league but had a terrible March/April. Looks like the Derby way started before Mel!

On 06/12/2019 at 16:53, Anag Ram said:

I think Cocu likes Wisdom for away games. 

Hamer

Wisdom 

Forsyth

Davies 

Malone 

Bielik 

Holmes 

Evans 

Lawrence 

Martin 

Waghorn 

Not my team, but the one I think he'll play. Bogle, Marriott, Whittaker, Lowe and other exciting players on the bench. 

He won't want to concede as easily as has been the case away. 

Won't be pretty - hope we can sneak a goal with our only chance. 

Blimey. My negative post was too optimistic. 

RD seemed surprised that we played our best football when three of our most talented footballers came on. 

When you play away you need your best passers in the team. 

Archived