Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

JR has been a  good player for DCFC and has tried his best although has fell a bit short in all honesty and this season has been an improvement but lets be realistic about this , if we were to sign say  Knockheart or someone of similar standard even on loan to replace him it would be a great bit of business.

JR is not a striker in this standard of football and came here probably thinking he was  and on many occasions has frustrated the hell out of me playing wide so an upgrade on Johnny could be a blessing in disguise but he's always given his best in my view and appears to be a top bloke.

All the best Johnny but time for you and us to move on...i beleive if we make the right replacement signing it could even be the difference between us going up or not...goal against Forest sticks in my mind:thumbsup:

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think because they're reputedly such good mates.

As for Johnny, it's a modern footballing decision in that the quality of life he would have in the US, and the new experience it would leave him open to, make this a thoughtful and interesting thing to do. It worked for Alan Hinton a long time ago, and it worked out really well for Giles Barnes recently. I find the timing odd. Why not try and get promotion with Derby and then go to the MLS with no strings attached once his contract has run out? He must really want to start the season there and have a move lined up.

I am surprised Rowett mentioned it unless the deal for a replacement is done. McClean makes a huge amount more sense now. If we don't get anyone in then we're looking at a fit-again Bradley cementing a place with Mason on the bench, trying to force his way in. Disruptive for the team, but I've been all for a smaller squad in terms of pulling together to get us over the line.

Beautifully rational as always. Russell and Bryso are huge mates. JR looking at the bigger picture and actually coming up with a good plan. All the very best JR...always really liked him. I was in the North Stand for that JR rocket v Florist and watched it off his left peg all the way in, including the left-right shilly-shally before it t-watted the onion bag. Legendary goal. 

Quite an odd one this.  America at this point in his career seems like a significant backward step, but if its a quality of life and adventure thing and you have enough in the bank already then why not.  Clearly not expecting many more Scotland caps!

JR is the type of player I like to have in the squad; hard working, seems to give his all, has moments (fewer recently) of magic.  Just like a Jamie Ward.  Good to have around, but if and when they go I don't think they are players who you necessarily miss too much or who go on to be superstars elsewhere.

In terms of current squad, there isn't a lot of difference between him and Weimann and Anya.  Obviously must be something keeping Anya out of the squad, but if he can play then no harm in him coming in even without a replacement.  Having said that, I'm sure we'll be looking to invest.  Maybe this is the chance we need to give an U23 a chance?  

Anyway, bye bye Johnny.  Decent player, decent servant, got our money's worth, not the end of the world particularly if it opens up a place for new blood.

He was a decent player however it only clicked for him at certain ties, never really got going consistently.

Definitely a fan favourite, although he would make some questionable decisions. He will always be remembered as an all round great bloke. Always worked hard for us.

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Local rag, 4 yr contract pending visa and international approval.

Good on him for being brave enough to take on a completely new challenge, I'd hazard a guess that's at least 2 years more than we were offering him.

Far too often he’d do something excellent like spin off his marker or go on a great run and the final pass,cross, finish would be awful. Some days his first touch was truly dreadful.

but having said all of that he is a player you can genuinely feel affection towards and I can’t think of many signings we have made in the past twenty years who you say farewell to with fond memories of his efforts and a desire to wish all the best.

always struck me as a genuine enough fella who loved dcfc and so I’m sure he will be remembered fondly. And not just for that fantastic goal...

Extremely disappointing from the season point of view, he has and would have continued to contribute very well to our promotion attempt and I doubt we will get anyone better to replace him and even this season has been probably our top wide player

overall. A tremendous signing for Derby county and we have had tremendous value from him so good luck to him in his new adventure and in a way I am glad we have not sold him to another team in England 

The other slightly odd thing is why he wouldn't want to have stayed for the run in and have the challenge of helping us to go up thid year.  Would have been a free agent in the summer and can't believe he would have had no takers at all.  Assume the GR probably told him 'no contract, no play' and this is something guaranteed and exciting versus a big unknown. 

7 minutes ago, LazloW said:

The other slightly odd thing is why he wouldn't want to have stayed for the run in and have the challenge of helping us to go up thid year.  Would have been a free agent in the summer and can't believe he would have had no takers at all.  Assume the GR probably told him 'no contract, no play' and this is something guaranteed and exciting versus a big unknown. 

Totally agree, You would think he would have had the ambition and desire to see the season through and be a part of a winning team that will hopefully win us promotion. Could understand it if he was off to a glam club with a sweet contract,  whilst he has been an excellent servant for the club feel some what peeeved we will collect very little in fees for him under the circumstance.

Good luck JR but if your not committed to the cause go and close the door behind you.?

49 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Far too often he’d do something excellent like spin off his marker or go on a great run and the final pass,cross, finish would be awful. Some days his first touch was truly dreadful.

but having said all of that he is a player you can genuinely feel affection towards and I can’t think of many signings we have made in the past twenty years who you say farewell to with fond memories of his efforts and a desire to wish all the best.

always struck me as a genuine enough fella who loved dcfc and so I’m sure he will be remembered fondly. And not just for that fantastic goal...

Spot on ?

Archived