Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

10 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Johnny always played with his heart on his sleeve, what you saw is what you got. Lots of effort and total commitment. The fans loved this. However too often he flattered to deceive. Producing breath taking weaving runs but to often with little or no end product. Too often inconsistent never really nailing down a place in the side.

Will be sad to see him go great memories but time moves on.

All the old heroes moving on Ince, Hughes, Bryson, Johnny maybe Martin

A new era dawns.

And a better team for it.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised about a move to MLS, but I was 50/50 about wanting him to sign a new contract. I Admired his work rate, but never pushed on after our playoff season, unfortunately. One irritating thing about him, he could beat his man most of the time, but lacked any real quality with his final ball (countless times). Will always remember his goal against forest, absolutely arrowed it. Wish you luck Johnny!

I guess the only real surprise is the timing; I have faith in Rowett’s dealings though so would hope there’s a replacement lined up. As has largely been said he’s a fan’s fave due to his commitment, has left us with some good memories but ultimately never found the consistency to really kick on a level. He’s a good championship winger but wouldn’t cut it in the prem. Shame he won’t be part of the promotion push, would have been a fitting swan song if he’d helped us get there. 

Great move for all parties. As many have written here there are two things we can all agree on regarding Russell. He tried his best and his finishing was lacking. Not sure why he picked Kansas, both the city and the franchise are not great but it seems like they were the only team interested in him. He will be back in the Championship in 12 to 18 months. Save this tweet.

You can understand why he'd want to leave now. The MLS new season doesn't start until March, so it will give him plenty of time during pre-season to get settled both on and off the pitch. His fitness should be good, and he won't be suffering any burnout.

Many players who move to the MLS in the summer have just completed a gruelling season, and the summer is when games come thick and fast in the MLS, it's taxing with so much travel.

A quick look at Kansas City's fixtures. At the beginning of July they play Montreal (A), Real Salt Lake (A), Toronto (H) and New York RB (A) in 14 days. That is some mileage in only 14 days!

It's a blow for DCFC. He offers us options on either wing, he knows the club inside out and he's a reliable player (in that he generally stays injury free) so to lose him mid-season and with us sitting 2nd is disappointing.

Dissapointing yes but to say he leaves a massive hole is ridiculous,he's only recently got his starting place back,  hes a good bloke yes, hes a trier and has definitely played better these last few games but he doesn't leave a massive void!!! lol get real...and we need better than JR...  very frustrating player summed up in the last game where he wildly shoots over the bar when shouldve scored one minute then gives the ball away trying to dribble the ball out of the box the next...decision making very poor .... but has none the less contributed a lot over the seasons.....Good luck Johnny Russell...I think long term this is right for both parties....:thumbsup: 

39 minutes ago, Saity said:

Dissapointing yes but to say he leaves a massive hole is ridiculous,he's only recently got his starting place back,  hes a good bloke yes, hes a trier and has definitely played better these last few games but he doesn't leave a massive void!!! lol get real...and we need better than JR...  very frustrating player summed up in the last game where he wildly shoots over the bar when shouldve scored one minute then gives the ball away trying to dribble the ball out of the box the next...decision making very poor .... but has none the less contributed a lot over the seasons.....Good luck Johnny Russell...I think long term this is right for both parties....:thumbsup: 

I think what people mean is that by Johnny leaving it means that Weimann will be starting out wide, and instead of having some experience and talent on the bench (Weimann or Russell) were gonna have Anya or Bennett. Neither have had proper first team football this season, And i believe that if we need to change something to get back into a game or win a game, them 2 do not have the quality we need to do so.

1 minute ago, Edtheram said:

I think what people mean is that by Johnny leaving it means that Weimann will be starting out wide, and instead of having some experience and talent on the bench (Weimann or Russell) were gonna have Anya or Bennett. Neither have had proper first team football this season, And i believe that if we need to change something to get back into a game or win a game, them 2 do not have the quality we need to do so.

I'd like to think that GR has someone lined up even if its on loan, I'd rather see Thomas on bench than Anya as don't think he has any future with us.

I know its probably asking too much but Knockheart on loan for rest of season would be awesome :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Saity said:

I'd like to think that GR has someone lined up even if its on loan, I'd rather see Thomas on bench than Anya as don't think he has any future with us.

I know its probably asking too much but Knockheart on loan for rest of season would be awesome :thumbsup:

Knockeart starts for Brighton though, And although he is a talented player at this level i believe his poor form in the premiership may of affected his confidence. We need someone with real quality, I dont know who that would be but I dont think we have the quality to stay in the top 2 unless we sign someone....  

1 minute ago, Saity said:

or Lookman on loan...I think if we make an impact signing to replace Johnny it could really make the difference between ending in the top two or not

Allardyce said yesterday that Lookman wouldn't be going out on loan in this window

If he's going then best he goes now for all parties. If we can get someone in who is a step up then great.

He's been a safe option for a while, which has led to us turning to him instead of pushing forward. I don't think his departure will impact us, except maybe in terms of bodies.

If we can grab a player on loan who wants to prove he's worth a chance in the prem next season that would be ideal, but if we don't replace then let's get Bennett making cameos or we'll never know if he's good enough.

4 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

It's interesting that people desperately want youth players (e.g. Thomas) to get game time, but as soon as a senior player moves (e.g. Russell) on they're desperate to sign another senior player in that position 

Yes because if Thomas or a youth player is ready and more importantly that the team can cope with a young player cutting his teeth at the business end of a tough championship campaign then great,  but if that is deemed as too risky then get someone in and give the youth player a place on the bench in certain games to see if he can cut it and gain experience at the same time.

It would be a lot of pressure on someone of relatively no experience to drop them in at this stage of the season.

But if GR thinks he is ready then great....but personally don't think that will happen

38 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

It's interesting that people desperately want youth players (e.g. Thomas) to get game time, but as soon as a senior player moves (e.g. Russell) on they're desperate to sign another senior player in that position 

Think that goes to show how difficult it is to bring young players through with little experience, 2nd in the table with clubs breathing down your neck isn't the time to be taking risks. Saying that, I will acknowledge that any signing is a risk, 2 games to his name or 200.

When is the time? For me after a couple of loan spells increasing in level, it's great to see Elsnik doing well at Swindon, really is, but we have to remember it's League 2 and his goals were v Crewe.

Luke Thomas, been out on loan but in the National League, it's a big big jump from these loans to first team in the Championship.

Ideally both will be sent out on loan again to League 1 clubs next year, even better lower Championship if possible and we go up, they are still young, plenty of time ahead of them and see no reason we should throwing them in now, Elsnik we couldn't anyway until next year and would we want Rowett potentially throwing him in right at the deepest end of the football pool.

Right now, we need experienced player in to replace Russell, help get us over that line before another 3 clubs pocket the Premier League jackpot.

Archived