Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to him.  Easier working week, better wage, and depending where he goes, a lot better weather.  Just staring out the window right now makes me jealous AF!!!

As others have pointed out, if we do go up, he'd barely play, so what's the point sticking around if he has the chance to go and play regularly.

26 minutes ago, David said:

The news of him not wanting to sign a new contract wasn't a surprise this morning, a move to the MLS was, and still is.

Either way, as many have said, great servant to the club, wish him luck out there and hope he finds what he's looking for. If Bradley Wright Phillips can be a star out there, JR could go on to replace the Statue of Liberty.  

Timing could have been better, but this will not have been breaking news for the club this morning, let's hope Rowett has had time to identify a suitable replacement and we can get him in and JR packed off before the window closes. 

I believe they wouldn't have made it public so then any potential replacements prices won't fly up.

5 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

I believe they wouldn't have made it public so then any potential replacements prices won't fly up.

Given the timing I wouldn’t be surprised to see any replacement being a loan now, January is a crazy month as it is and attackers will be at a premium, especially those with half an eye on the Premier League.

I can't blame him. He's got to be thinking that playing for Derby is the absolute pinnacle of a career for him in the UK. He's been playing at the top of the championship for a few years but really doubt the premier league is a realistic aim for him personally. 

IF we do go up and IF Jonny Russell was on our books he'd get the odd premier league appearance off the bench perhaps but given the choice of that vs playing in the US earning the same sort of money, i'd choose MLS too. It's a great lifestyle over there, would be a nice way of life and can be a hero. Fair play to him, I don't blame him at all.  

1 hour ago, David said:

The news of him not wanting to sign a new contract wasn't a surprise this morning, a move to the MLS was, and still is.

Either way, as many have said, great servant to the club, wish him luck out there and hope he finds what he's looking for. If Bradley Wright Phillips can be a star out there, JR could go on to replace the Statue of Liberty.  

Timing could have been better, but this will not have been breaking news for the club this morning, let's hope Rowett has had time to identify a suitable replacement and we can get him in and JR packed off before the window closes. 

Yes its a surprise to me tho , maybe sending Bryson out on loan prompted this I dont know. Strange that Russell rejected a new contract and even stranger that he wants to play in MLS at this stage in his career.

Wow,quite shocked by this news but I don't think he has ever been comfortable under rowetts management.

I have always highly regarded Russell and has been a tremendous asset to this club and popular with the fans(apart from the usual suspects).

Good luck to him in the states,I'm sure he will love it but I'll miss seeing him play in a rams strip.

Archived