Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JOHNNY RUSSELL has decided to ditch Derby County to sign for Sporting Kansas City in the MLS.

The 27-year-old Scottish forward has agreed terms with the Western Conference side and is expected to join them for a nominal fee of around £250,000.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5449792/derby-county-forward-johnny-russell-to-join-sporting-kansas-city-in-the-mls/

Seems fair enough to me, seems like career suicide on his part to toss off the prem for the MLS but if he wants to live in America and start a new challenge what can we do about it? Just a bit frustrating that we get basically **** all cause he’s out of contract but he’s earned the move with his performances over the years, will go down as one of Cloughs better signings. Much as I wasn’t always a massive fan of him with his poor decision making and end product at times, he’s still been around for some damn good seasons so he’ll go down well in my memory.

If he goes you'd have to assume that we have someone to replace him. I hope it's an improvement. 

Always seemed like a good guy to me. Never the most gifted player, but always worked hard and played his part in some good times for the club. 

I'll remember him for that and his screamer against Forest in the 5-0.

Good luck, Johnny. All the best. 

Decent player who has always given his all for us. 

He probably realises he's going to get a better contract in the MLS than he will in the U.K. He will probably be able to extentend his career by a season or two by playing there.

Good luck to him, just hope we get a fee, even if it's a small one!

*just seen that it's Kansas, that's going to be a culture shock.

Great move for Johnny, going to a team that finished a few points off top spot in the western conference, and has a great fan base in a great country where football is growing as a spectator sport very rapidly.

Moving from a miserable climate and a large proportion of miserable fans who did not appreciate his worth to the club to, in my opinion a better future for him and his family.

13 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Decent player who has always given his all for us. 

He probably realises he's going to get a better contract in the MLS than he will in the U.K. He will probably be able to extentend his career by a season or two by playing there.

Good luck to him, just hope we get a fee, even if it's a small one!

*just seen that it's Kansas, that's going to be a culture shock.

Wizard of OZ country, could take the Tin Man with him ??

Will be really sad to see JR go. So many happy memories of him featuring in the best of the best of 13/14, particularly his understanding with CM at the time (goals v Leeds and Huddersfield if I recall correctly). Then there was his strike in the 5-0 v Forest which was about as sweet as it gets.

Obviously someone new coming in this week is the plan. I can’t help wondering whether this was what the reported Nelson Oliveira interest was all about. Might we still go back in for him?

1 hour ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

JOHNNY RUSSELL has decided to ditch Derby County to sign for Sporting Kansas City in the MLS.

The 27-year-old Scottish forward has agreed terms with the Western Conference side and is expected to join them for a nominal fee of around £250,000.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5449792/derby-county-forward-johnny-russell-to-join-sporting-kansas-city-in-the-mls/

Even with only six months on his contract £250k sounds pretty poor. Good player Johnny , if he could score goals he would be very good at this level. 

Good luck Johnny, I’ll always have a soft spot for him and thought he was as effective as he’s been for quite a while this season. Surprised to see he’s going to America and even more surprised that it’s Kansas. Hope it works out for him. We now need to show our intent by signing a player who will improve us and keep us up there.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Even with only six months on his contract £250k sounds pretty poor. Good player Johnny , if he could score goals he would be very good at this level. 

I agree it's very low. However there may be other factors like loyalty bonuses and wages etc that he may write off to be able to make the move now rather than in the summer. 

Also probably saving half a mil in wages so could end up saving us around a million in total. All guess work of course but is plausible.

I think Johnny is worth at least 750k for saying we bought Sammon for over 1 million. I think he knows that and so do Derby, But i think Rowett is a understanding manager, if Kansas weren't going to meet our price meaning johnny would stay unhappy at the club until the summer when he would go for about 250k anyway, Rowett wouldn't want that. I think weve let the player leave happy and at the right time. The club has the up most respect for Johnny and maybe both parties agreed now was the best time to move on and that they wanted it doing ASAP and for a little bit of money.

13 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I think Johnny is worth at least 750k for saying we bought Sammon for over 1 million. I think he knows that and so do Derby, But i think Rowett is a understanding manager, if Kansas weren't going to meet our price meaning johnny would stay unhappy at the club until the summer when he would go for about 250k anyway, Rowett wouldn't want that. I think weve let the player leave happy and at the right time. The club has the up most respect for Johnny and maybe both parties agreed now was the best time to move on and that they wanted it doing ASAP and for a little bit of money.

He's out of contract in the summer though, so you're simply not going to get a lot for him.

Archived