Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

42 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Is it a reasonable assumption that Johnny Russell will be here to the end of the season. Can't see him being shifted out this week to go to USA.

With the new MLS season starting in about 4 weeks, I would say JR won't play for us again.  We won't want to risk getting him injured considering there is a fee involved (albeit a small one) and he'll want to link up with his new team as soon as possible.

I'd say he'll be gone next week - unless I missed something in an earlier post.

A hard working player, very frustrating at times but a great servant for the club

all the best JR.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I wonder whether he has actually been to Kansas City. Its absolutely miles from anywhere, freezing (like -20) in winter and very hot (+40) in summer. Grass is green for about 3 weeks between the snow melting and the heat baking it brown. Oh its also in Tornado alley. 

Been there, stayed for a bit. Enjoyed the little town feel of it.  Good luck to JR. Living in the US has its appeal.

14 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

The local paper over there seems to think its happening immediately.

And its worth the read just to look at the language they use!

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article197177424.html

'Russell, 27, can play anywhere along the front line or as an underneath forward, but he primarily spots as a left or right winger.'

Its like listening to my wife talk about football :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Usually you can get an intresting read from other fans forums and quite a few have noted Russell leaving and have expressed that he is one of our most exciting players and one that other teams actually fear and that we will miss him.

Other teams feared him? If he was that good then some of those clubs would have come in for him knowing he is out of contract in the summer. He is going to Kansas City. I am still worried that the move falls through when Kansas City do a tad more research, so fingers crossed the move does not collapse last minute. 

4 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Quite right Anya is better player than either Russell or Weimann  pacy two footed can defend also a good crosser with either foot also works well with Vydra what's not to like 

Pass.

Hes had a good last couple games in the u23s but he has been poor overall, as was Bent in his cameos, and Thorne and Fozzy in their appearances tbf - none of the first teamers save Shacks - has shone there. 

He runs around a lot, has ball skills but he’s so lightweight it’s ridiculous. He’s not too wily either. It’s his fragility and size that’s a main factor for Rowett one would think. GR likes em Strong which would explain his love of Bradley. Afobe would be his perfect winger. All his acquisitions save Tom are man beasts. I could be wrong but don’t think he has any part to play. 

At the beginning of the window I said we didn't really need to sign any one, if we did it was a bonus.

However, we are now in a comfortable position and have a real opportunity for automatic promotion.

With Russell now all but gone it leaves Weimann for the right hand side. I like Weimann but we have been crying out for an upgrade to both Russell and Weimann for a while now.

We are 1 good signing away from having a complete team. A replacement for Russell by tomorrow is now a must.

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

At the beginning of the window I said we didn't really need to sign any one, if we did it was a bonus.

However, we are now in a comfortable position and have a real opportunity for automatic promotion.

With Russell now all but gone it leaves Weimann for the right hand side. I like Weimann but we have been crying out for an upgrade to both Russell and Weimann for a while now.

We are 1 good signing away from having a complete team. A replacement for Russell by tomorrow is now a must.

After the fiasco on deadline day in the summer I expect we aren't letting Johnny formally go until the replacement is through the door. Russell is still under contract until the end of the season and if needs be I'm sure we'll keep him here until the end of it.

3 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

After the fiasco on deadline day in the summer I expect we aren't letting Johnny formally go until the replacement is through the door. Russell is still under contract until the end of the season and if needs be I'm sure we'll keep him here until the end of it.

He's sold for 250,000. He's free to leave.

2 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

JR is a character, he plays on confidence and personal desire.  I am sure that in his mind he has left and I wouldn't expect much from him if he was forced to stay.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Still think we need quality cover in central midfield......if both Ledley and George break down I don't think Hanson is the answer....

Archived