Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes its a surprise to me tho , maybe sending Bryson out on loan prompted this I dont know. Strange that Russell rejected a new contract and even stranger that he wants to play in MLS at this stage in his career.

Not sure why that would be linked?

1 minute ago, David said:

Not sure why that would be linked?

I think because they're reputedly such good mates.

As for Johnny, it's a modern footballing decision in that the quality of life he would have in the US, and the new experience it would leave him open to, make this a thoughtful and interesting thing to do. It worked for Alan Hinton a long time ago, and it worked out really well for Giles Barnes recently. I find the timing odd. Why not try and get promotion with Derby and then go to the MLS with no strings attached once his contract has run out? He must really want to start the season there and have a move lined up.

I am surprised Rowett mentioned it unless the deal for a replacement is done. McClean makes a huge amount more sense now. If we don't get anyone in then we're looking at a fit-again Bradley cementing a place with Mason on the bench, trying to force his way in. Disruptive for the team, but I've been all for a smaller squad in terms of pulling together to get us over the line.

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The only link is that rowett is clearly  fiercely anti Scottish...Bryson,Martin Anya Russell...all kicked out within a year (or as good as!)

?

You mean Anya wont be allowed out of the cupboard????

50 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Let's see now. Stay in this country and he could have his pick of Reading, Sunderland or Dundee. Go to America, and end up somewhere like Denver, New York or Seattle. I know which I would pick. 

Las Vegas Chicken Ranch :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Wow,quite shocked by this news but I don't think he has ever been comfortable under rowetts management.

10 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The only link is that rowett is clearly  fiercely anti Scottish...Bryson,Martin Anya Russell...all kicked out within a year (or as good as!)

?

If you cast your mind back to Brighton's promotion season and they were interested in signing JR, reports say we rejected a bid for him. The following summer he talked about his poor form, the DT have moved the article but he alluded to transfer speculation playing on his mind. 

Also there is a video with him on RamsTV recently, he was asked if he's enjoying the opportunity of playing on the right now that Ince has left, gave the standard happy to play where the team needs him but made a point of coming down as a striker. I came away feeling like he still sees himself as a striker and not a winger.

I know you are trying to pin this on your Rowett voodoo doll, but Russell hasn't looked his best long before his arrival.

By the way Rowett even tried to sign him at Birmingham, fairly certain he would have realised his Scottishness back then....if he hadn't it's been well hidden as he was offered a new deal here but chose to decline it.

3 minutes ago, David said:

If you cast your mind back to Brighton's promotion season and they were interested in signing JR, reports say we rejected a bid for him. The following summer he talked about his poor form, the DT have moved the article but he alluded to transfer speculation playing on his mind. 

Also there is a video with him on RamsTV recently, he was asked if he's enjoying the opportunity of playing on the right now that Ince has left, gave the standard happy to play where the team needs him but made a point of coming down as a striker. I came away feeling like he still sees himself as a striker and not a winger.

I know you are trying to pin this on your Rowett voodoo doll, but Russell hasn't looked his best long before his arrival.

By the way Rowett even tried to sign him at Birmingham, fairly certain he would have realised his Scottishness back then.

He's definitely not a winger

6 minutes ago, David said:

By the way Rowett even tried to sign him at Birmingham, fairly certain he would have realised his Scottishness back then.

I wasn't actually,it was intended to be light hearted...

I wouldn't expect him to actually be anti Scottish (unless you know more than you are letting on!)

I'll get my coat....

1 minute ago, ramit said:

i miss him already and suspect some of his harshest critics will soon be demanding a hard working winger who is able to beat his man and get into the box and also track back and won't get one

Good luck to him

Yep, it's quite easy to just assume we'll sign someone better, but it's never that straightforward. Since Russell signed, the wingers we've brought in are Dawkins, Ibe, Lingard, Ince, Johnson, Weimann, Blackman, Camara, Anya and Lawrence. Ince and at a push Ibe are probably the only 2 who have been an improvement on Russell and they've both moved clubs in recent seasons for a combined £25 mil. Let's hope our luck with signing wingers changes now Gary is in charge, but Lawrence certainly hasn't lived up to his price tag yet

My son loves Johnny but gets infuriated ....... says since most of his shots end up across the Atlantic maybe he can bring the balls back !!

Seriously thanks Johnny for all your hard work all over the pitch..........and for being our Ray of Sunshine. We will miss both the effort and the cheeky grin

Must say this news does come as a surprise this late in the window but what can we do when he wants to leave? At least it looks like we’re bringing in a replacement, he’s not the best winger in the world but he’s certainly contributed more this year than he had last year and will need a quality replacement. Not easy to find in a couple of days I suspect, we’ll have to switch all attention to sorting this out rather than backup goalies etc.

Archived