Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Bit sad reading this thread when after a good few years of loyal service and we are close to the promised land, that J.R might not make it with us.

My heart says I wish it could have been in the summer, my head says he’s done what’s best for him coming to the end of his contract and I don’t begrudge him one bit for doing so. Four years sounds a juicy contract, really hope he gets adulation and reward over there.

Leave some great memories even if at times he’s been frustrating. Always put in a shift, always tried hard. Think he will still look out for the Rams too. So good luck J.R and thanks for those memories.

Isnt it Johnny to the end.. does a lot of good work then ***** it up just when you think hes going to hit the target.

27 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Bit sad reading this thread when after a good few years of loyal service and we are close to the promised land, that J.R might not make it with us.

My heart says I wish it could have been in the summer, my head says he’s done what’s best for him coming to the end of his contract and I don’t begrudge him one bit for doing so. Four years sounds a juicy contract, really hope he gets adulation and reward over there.

Leave some great memories even if at times he’s been frustrating. Always put in a shift, always tried hard. Think he will still look out for the Rams too. So good luck J.R and thanks for those memories.

Absolutely bang on zag zig , 

cheers Johnny and good luck 

I've enjoyed his time with us, particularly the first couple of seasons. However, the last 2 have been disappointing to say the least so wish him well but not too sorry to see him go. Interested to see if we bring in a replacement or GR looks to give Luke Thomas a run, although this could be a risk at this stage of the season.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

In the event of Russell leaving and us having no found no replacement in the window, it'll will have been abit silly given the position we're in. Having said that. Maybe Anya can play a role this season after all

Surely the club wouldn’t accept the offer for Johnny if they weren’t extremely confident of replacing him? To be honest if it was me I wouldn’t let him go until his replacement was “in the building”.

3 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Surely the club wouldn’t accept the offer for Johnny if they weren’t extremely confident of replacing him? To be honest if it was me I wouldn’t let him go until his replacement was “in the building”.

Rowett alluded to wanting a commited team in his interview earlier. Players with half an eye away from the objective arnt really what we need now though is how i read it. 

He's certainly been one of Nigel Clough's best signings.

4 seasons worth of good service, good workrate and attitude, not silky skilled but skilled enough to be useful. Perhaps like Bryson just time to naturally move on to pastures new. To sign a player like him now (i.e. 4 years younger and untried in the division) for £750k and get the same return we'd all be happy.

Goodbye and best wishes. I'll always love how every time we signed a new wide player it was like "is this the end of Russell then" and he always came back into the team - must've had plenty of heart to keep doing that, especially when he could've gone to other teams and been the main man a couple of times (even Rowett tried to sign him)

Gobsmacked tbh.

did he go to dubai?

Makes no sense to me at this stage of the window.

i'd have him in the team in preference to lawrence at the moment, also ahead of BJ.

Surprised we didn't keep him for a bit longer but perhaps we left it late to start negotiating his contract and didn't give off the right vibes.

i hope this isn't an own goal.

Sporting KC acquires attacking player from English Championship
BY SAM MCDOWE

January 29, 2018 09:32 AM
Updated 45 minutes ago
The success of Sporting Kansas City’s offseason was always going to be evaluated on its ability to improve an offense that sputtered down the stretch of 2017.

The club added the second piece of that potential solution Monday, though it’s not necessarily the final piece.

Sporting KC acquired Scottish forward Johnny Russell in a transfer deal from Derby County FC of the English Football League Championship, sources told The Star. Sporting KC agreed to a four-year contract with Russell, pending a physical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 V

Johnny always played with his heart on his sleeve, what you saw is what you got. Lots of effort and total commitment. The fans loved this. However too often he flattered to deceive. Producing breath taking weaving runs but to often with little or no end product. Too often inconsistent never really nailing down a place in the side.

Will be sad to see him go great memories but time moves on.

All the old heroes moving on Ince, Hughes, Bryson, Johnny maybe Martin

A new era dawns.

Archived