Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by Day

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

8 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Yep, it's quite easy to just assume we'll sign someone better, but it's never that straightforward. Since Russell signed, the wingers we've brought in are Dawkins, Ibe, Lingard, Ince, Johnson, Weimann, Blackman, Camara, Anya and Lawrence. Ince and at a push Ibe are probably the only 2 who have been an improvement on Russell and they've both moved clubs in recent seasons for a combined £25 mil. Let's hope our luck with signing wingers changes now Gary is in charge, but Lawrence certainly hasn't lived up to his price tag yet

And Lingard as hes now playing for Man U and Lawrence is also better than him.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

And Lingard as hes now playing for Man U and Lawrence is also better than him.

Was Lingard better than Russell for us? No. And what has Lawrence done to make him an improvement on Russell? Set pieces maybe? But that's about it. Both have been willing to take on defenders and both have had poor end product. Russell has scored more and Lawrence has assisted more, but there's not much between them this season

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Was Lingard better than Russell for us? No. And what has Lawrence done to make him an improvement on Russell? Set pieces maybe? But that's about it. Both have been willing to take on defenders and both have had poor end product. Russell has scored more and Lawrence has assisted more, but there's not much between them this season

Either way, it's time for you to change your avatar ;) 

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Is it possible this could happen at the end of the season?

The transfer window isnt open yet I dont think for the MLS.

MLS have a transfer tracker on their website, and there's been signings this month

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Opens mid February for them I think so he'll probably leave then

Are we allowed to sell outside the window?

Just now, Paul71 said:

Are we allowed to sell outside the window?

Yeah, I think it just depends on the signing club's transfer window. In my absolutely nowhere near expert opinion, I think we'll either get a small fee from an MLS team for him and he'll sign for them in February, or Johnny will agree to terminate his contract and join them sooner, so we'll avoid paying any loyalty bonus which makes up for not receiving a fee for him

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

I always felt he'd have been better if he was used in a role like Vydra is now, but as we know, McClaren rarely moved away from 4-3-3. I liked Dawkins, but for me Russell was far more effective 

His control isn't anywhere near good enough, and he hasn't exactly got great vision either.

Archived