What Are You Listening To?

AndyB

On 24/06/2020 at 09:47, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Thanks for reminding me of this song. I loved it when it first came out. I used to do a bit of singing myself in my younger days, but my voice has got gradually lower and lower. This is one of the few songs which I can croak along to comfortably.

Funny thing taste isn't...'Mmmm mmm mmmm' or whatever its called is literally in my top 10 worst songs of all time. Horrible dirge, annoying voice...like nails on a chalkboard. 

I hate Suzanne Vega's 'Tom Diner' too. It has that same droning, repetitive non - lyric chorus structure with some rubbish 'story' verses.

I really don't what makes particular music /songs appealing to you. Someone else has just suggested 'Debaser', The Pixies. That was on the radio the other day and I said 'I love this song, do you not..? '.to which the the missus said 'its ok, but its exactly the kind of song you would like'... 

Why? What makes someone like genres, certain songs...r&b, rock, pop...? I may say I hate a particular song by an artist but really like their next. Bizaare really. 

36 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Funny thing taste isn't...'Mmmm mmm mmmm' or whatever its called is literally in my top 10 worst songs of all time. Horrible dirge, annoying voice...like nails on a chalkboard. 

I hate Suzanne Vega's 'Tom Diner' too. It has that same droning, repetitive non - lyric chorus structure with some rubbish 'story' verses.

I really don't what makes particular music /songs appealing to you. Someone else has just suggested 'Debaser', The Pixies. That was on the radio the other day and I said 'I love this song, do you not..? '.to which the the missus said 'its ok, but its exactly the kind of song you would like'... 

Why? What makes someone like genres, certain songs...r&b, rock, pop...? I may say I hate a particular song by an artist but really like their next. Bizaare really. 

Like you say, personal taste. I look at it more the opposite way. There are genres and artists that really grate on me, yet every now and then a song appears that I love and would even put in my top ten. 
I used to hate Sting's voice (over time I've got to not mind it), yet Every Breath You Take I loved from the first time I heard it. Robbie Williams was the non singing fat dancer out of one of the most fabricated bands that ever existed, yet the same with Angels.
Then there are artists that you love and yet they release songs that make you think "what on Earth were they thinking when they recorded this, let alone release it". Shiny Happy People by REM, it never even appeared on their greatest hits album!

Music, eh! Everyone has their favourites, everyone has songs and artists they hate. A workmate once said "there is no such thing as bad music, only music that you like or don't like". Very profound and true, except for Tina Turner, she makes me want to rip out my eyes and stick skewers in my ears whenever I see or hear her. Oh, and Proud Mary by Ike and Tina Turner is probably in my top 10!

On 05/06/2020 at 22:37, ramit said:

i do a two-step, quick-step and a bossa nova to this

a sight best left unseen

Leo Sayer is one of those artists who years ago I avoided like the plague. I found him irritating and naff.

Listening to his songs again now I realise he was and is a real talent. Quite a body of work too.

Loving the new Massive Wagons album (House of Noise), I was a little indifferent about their last album but this has a lot more personality

Proper anthemic rock and roll.

(it helps my opinion that the above song was written about an encounter with my favourite artist, the most prolific and genuinely, IMO, best English songwriter of the past 40 years, Ginger Wildheart. A pox on you if you don't know who that is)

Edited by Coconut

On 03/07/2020 at 09:00, Anag Ram said:

Leo Sayer is one of those artists who years ago I avoided like the plague. I found him irritating and naff.

Listening to his songs again now I realise he was and is a real talent. Quite a body of work too.

He wrote songs for Roger Daltreys solo albums before becoming chairman of Boro

On 03/07/2020 at 06:52, Chester40 said:

remember this one . Similar vein. Awful

On 03/07/2020 at 09:00, Anag Ram said:

He did an evening outdoor gig after a local town festival. I am not a fan so this is an impartial review but I can say he was brilliant live. Songs much "beefed up" and all the better for it.

4 hours ago, TimRam said:

AC/DCs Back in Black album was released 40 years ago today. Despite the band not playing what the media would call "fashionable" music, this album is one of the best sellers of all time (all music genres, not just heavy rock). It's a classic!

Only “new” AC/DC album I ever bought. You still wonder whether the rumours are right that most of the songs were written by Bon Scott before he died. 

11 hours ago, Stagtime said:

Only “new” AC/DC album I ever bought. You still wonder whether the rumours are right that most of the songs were written by Bon Scott before he died. 

Worth reading the books by Mick Wall and Jessie Fink which cover that topic.

I’m watching some old Nik Kershaw sets on YouTube. He’s the first singer / artist I was ever into, I was a proper fanboy but too young to see him live in the mid 80s. Eventually saw him in Brum around 8 years ago and it was a great, he’s a real pro. Amazing singer, songwriter and guitarist.

I know it’s not cool but love him - he’s my guilty pleasure! I’ve played in bands for 30 years - rock / metal and more recently covers at functions, weddings, corporates etc. I’ve DJd with Judge Jules / Norman Jay / Brandon Block etc in the 90s. But Nik is a legend and still sounds great at 60!