Ebou'ts It Wide

SK47

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd say Adams' chance was easier than 90 of those. An extraordinary miss. Brilliant to make the chance, but not taking it will haunt him for a long time. 

Had any of them sprinted 80 yards in the 97th minute of a tiring game, beaten two opposition players to the ball, one being the keeper in an aerial challenge? Or had most of them been given the chance on a plate from much closer to the goal?

It's a bit like reading the last page of a book and deciding to give the book a 1* review when the rest of the book wins the Nobel prize for Literature.

Let me try and put some meat on the bones, I've been around football longer than the red dogs have taken to win at Anfield.

Should have Adams scored...absolutely, Then why didn't he, Only he knows, So here's another forensic analysis, To para phrase PW...he was most likely "gassed out", He'd ran from our 18 yard line, Challenged for a ball that a good few pro players would have let go, Now here's the game changer...he's had too much time to think, Only 2/3 seconds but enough time to know where he's going to put it.

There's a player closing him down and Adams knows it, Adams isn't your average striker so being in this position is a rarity for him, He's done the hard yards(literally)just has to hit the target, He's gone with his left foot...is this natural for him as I saw him score a beauty against Blackpool with his right foot or is he ambifootress 😁

It looks like a strike with part instep and part ankle/heel which looks as tho that is why he didn't get a clean take on the ball.

Yours Alf Hill...presenter of MOTD  tenor.gif?itemid=4888883

Had a great view from the East Stand level with the 18 yard box. The cheer that went up when he won the ball was like we’d scored. As he was running into the area, defender chasing, as another poster has said, I didn’t feel like he was gonna score! He sort of fell into the shot he was that gassed! 

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd say Adams' chance was easier than 90 of those. An extraordinary miss. Brilliant to make the chance, but not taking it will haunt him for a long time. 

I'd agree if scoring had affected the result he would have taken it to heart but you get the impression he will just brush it off without any problem. More likely to 'haunt' some of our fans than it will Ebou.

No hiding from the fact it was a terrible miss that people will laugh at. But I still think we can appreciate the brilliant play that preceded it. 

The hunger, bravery and physicality it took to get to that ball after 97 minutes of exertion are the traits we want our players to have.

The most loved player since Bryson, at least. 

On 14/09/2024 at 18:49, SK47 said:

Was that the worst miss ever in a Derby shirt?

Possibly ever in football?

Equal to the Roger Davis one that others have mentioned, in the sense that both are inexplicable. Anyhow Roger obviously recovered, and hopefully the nightmares are short lived for Adams. 

On 16/09/2024 at 06:36, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

No hiding from the fact it was a terrible miss that people will laugh at. But I still think we can appreciate the brilliant play that preceded it. 

The hunger, bravery and physicality it took to get to that ball after 97 minutes of exertion are the traits we want our players to have.

The most loved player since Bryson, at least. 

Said it in another thread but it's almost a distillation of him as a player. There are very few players at this level who in the 97th minute could have made that opportunity happen. But..... if he could reliably pass the ball where he meant to, he wouldn't be playing for us. 

Here's my take on the miss.

When the ball was cleared, Adams was on the Penalty spot. Perhaps there is a statistic out there that can back up this hunch of mine, but I would have thought there was less than a 1% chance he'd get on the end of that ball when he set off on his 97th minute sprint.

But he got there. And carried the ball to the edge of their box where the miss happened. 

Fair enough, the miss in isolation was dreadful. But it wasn't handed to him on a plate, instead, he did what so few players would have done in that time to put himself in the position to make the miss.

This is not a dig at any other players at all, but he had 9 outfield team mates who started in roughly the same position as he did and who didn't sprint 100m to put themselves in a position to be laughed at by fans of other teams, calling it the miss of the century or whatever they're saying.

What's the moral of that story? Don't go that extra mile because it's safer to hang back? 

Of course not.

Legend for having the drive to try to win the unwinnable ball and coming away with it ahead of the keeper. And we can laugh about it because we won

4 minutes ago, Sweetness34 said:

Here's my take on the miss.

When the ball was cleared, Adams was on the Penalty spot. Perhaps there is a statistic out there that can back up this hunch of mine, but I would have thought there was less than a 1% chance he'd get on the end of that ball when he set off on his 97th minute sprint.

But he got there. And carried the ball to the edge of their box where the miss happened. 

Fair enough, the miss in isolation was dreadful. But it wasn't handed to him on a plate, instead, he did what so few players would have done in that time to put himself in the position to make the miss.

This is not a dig at any other players at all, but he had 9 outfield team mates who started in roughly the same position as he did and who didn't sprint 100m to put themselves in a position to be laughed at by fans of other teams, calling it the miss of the century or whatever they're saying.

What's the moral of that story? Don't go that extra mile because it's safer to hang back? 

Of course not.

Legend for having the drive to try to win the unwinnable ball and coming away with it ahead of the keeper. And we can laugh about it because we won

Thing is though I don't think it's just about drive though. Physically there just aren't many players who can sprint that distance that fast and then hit the keeper hard enough to do a back flip.

Honestly it's unfortunate that the Olympics is over because their keeper may have snuck in for gymnastics with his new 'coach'.

13 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Think it featured on Question of Sport ?

Saw it on Tiswas as Roger was their guest being interviewed by Trevor East. After the clip was shown, he shoved a custard pie in Rogers face!

Rogers miss starts at 1:53!

Edited by TimRam