Can we try something different?

Day

Honestly,it's become such a miserable experience coming onto the forum,it's getting more difficult  to make the decision to even bother.

It's turning out to be a place for bitter old (and young ) blokes venting their miseries on to the rest who just want to enjoy the whole experience of the club,not just harking back to the 1970's/90's (delete as applicable)

Now,I loved the football under Mac and even lamps to a great extent but I also love the battling,us and against them attitude we have now and whilst the footballs not flowing or silky,it's got its own attributes which I've grown to appreciate.

So c'mon lads,cheers the f*** up and either get behind the team or take up debating politics instead and really get to appreciate a Life of endless misery.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

10 hours ago, Day said:

Just, maybe get behind Warne and the team, full blind faith if that’s what it takes, just give this team a fair chance with full supporter backing?

I get that might go against your personal philosophy, the style of football you like to see. I get it will be hard at times if we’re walking away from games with 20% possession, we’re fresh out of League one, let’s have some realism on the current situation.

Hear me out, this doesn’t need to be forever thing, it’s a here and now situation that we are dealing with, we don’t have to love it, walk round with huge boners, but the least we can do is just get behind it and stop the daily whinging and groaning that’s completely draining the dregs of enthusiasm remaining amongst us.

We’re not even into September and it feels like many have just washed their hands and dreaming of the next manager, the next big signing.

We’re fresh out of League One, a club that’s rising from the ashes, where is the context, the patience, the understanding.

Please, for the love of all things Rams, just have a few months off and rally around this squad as it’s all we have now until January. 🐏

I just hate the total negativity before a ball has been kicked pre match, prime example was the Barrow game when the comments started already about if we lose the game with a team like that then Warne needs expletive expletive.

I would quote the original post but one cba to look for it and two don't want to give the OP more airtime.

The negativity is totally crushing and totally unnecessary. It's really turning people off from posting on here to confronted with that day in day out and making it an unpleasant place to be especially after a defeat. 

I would like to think we're all Derby supporters and capable of keeping an open mind but that's obviously beyond a certain hardcore on here. 

As long as Warne is in charge I'll give him my full support. COYR

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Yep. Whilst some can separate the two, people posting here or on X are dripping into the mentality of fans' behaviour,  whether they admit to it or not. It's human behaviour.

I'm not sure it's about being a total happy clapper, it's about balancing rational critique versus relentless negativity, often not backed up by any evidence. That's what wears me down. 

I'll come on here and analyse a poor game as well as a good one, but I don't feel the need to doomsay after every little thing that's gone wrong. 

Couldn’t agree with that bit more.  I get that some don’t like Warne or the football, but it doesn’t feel like there’s any balance.  Lose and there’s lots of criticism (some valid, some, in my opinion a bIt OTT), win and it’s deathly silence and not an an ounce of praise from some.  And criticism backed with some rationale is great cos you can debate it and share views - even if they’re different you can respect each others opinion.  But it’s the incessant one-liners that do my head in.  You can tell there’s the odd poster who’s just waiting for a defeat.  Sometimes I think there’s no point in bothering coming on here and it grinds you down.

I bet if you looked at all poster’s posts, the completely irrational and reactive drivel probably comes from very few individuals. It’s just that those individuals tend to post the same thing an awful lot in practically every thread (take the Boro match day thread as a good example of this).

I’m with @angieram, I have no problem at all with people saying we’ve played badly when we’ve played badly, or that they would prefer a different manager to Warne, or that they wish we’d signed more and/or better players. I might agree a lot of the time (I am ambivalent toward Warne).

What I get frustrated with (and then tend to argue with) is the hyperbole, the over the top and angry reactions (it’s only football ffs), the lack of anything to back up arguments that are made and the lack of recognition- or acceptance - of the context and position we are in.  It often comes across as a bit childish (but this being the internet, perhaps they are children?)

So, yeah, I wouldn’t advocate blind faith. If we play terribly today and get tanked, then no need to sugar coat it or ignore it, but there are different ways of discussing it and calm, rational critique is far more interesting than mindless rants anyway.

Just maybe, Barrow was this season's Shrewsbury/Stevenage.

It's not been brilliant at times but there's positives. Most fans, me included, expect to struggle this season. Individually, I think we have players to get to midtable obscurity which is better than I expected at the end of last season. The big question is can we make sum of the whole greater than the sum of the individual parts?

Blackburn weren't better than us for long periods. 2nd half we had them, got too adventurous and got done by 3 breakaway goals.

Boro has five £5M players in their squad and have been building over several seasons. Our starting XI cost £600K. We nicked a very good goal and then they came at us. As a team they are where we will want to be in 3 years time.

Watford got the win in a game where we probably deserved a point. Both sides had 3 shots on target.

All 3 are expected by many to be top 8. That means they are seen as being better than us. We didn't get hammered by any of them. 

I think, and most definitely hope, that, in 9 games time, we'll be seeing more of what we want to see. Time will tell.

28 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I just hate the total negativity before a ball has been kicked pre match.

By no means am I a Warne-hater, but I do feel that sometimes this can be driven by his general demeanour and talking-up of the opposition in pre-match press. By all means respect the opponents but we all know “they’ll be coming to win a game of football”, and “make it difficult for us” by “not coming to have their bellies tickled”, Paul. Just comes across as we’re starting as second favourites.

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Obviously respect the call to arms but reality is it won't change much. The points have been made a few times before but;

a) there is a difference between disliking the playing philosophy for entertainment reasons & disliking the playing philosophy because you think it won't work. I will always want Derby to play a more controlled, progressive style but I have no issue playing with 30% possession given the circumstances we find ourselves in if it is effective. I sense that is where many critics of Warne are coming from. Warne's previous forays at this level suggest the style won't be effective but I will personally wait until mid October before making full judgement on this. It isn't unreasonable to point flaws out in our approach though in individual games.

b) there is a difference between venting on the forum & venting at the matches themselves. I never boo the team, will stay to the end to clap the players even if its been pretty poor & will vocally encourage. Clearly we all need somewhere to let off steam when things haven't gone well & given a lot of posters on here are based away from Derby & don't necessarily have workmates who share their passion, this is as good a place to express frustrations around matchtime that at times might seem a bit rash/emotional. Denying people the right to do this is unrealistic & smacks a bit of 'groupthink'. There's certainly a core of decent posters here to challenge extreme views/provide perspective if needed.

Finally, if those not supportive of Warne 'have a few months off', your forum isn't going to do too well for traffic! There is a sizeable minority who have never been convinced by Warne (myself included) & so yes, we are picking up on any sign that he is regressing to the kind of campaigns Rotherham had under his management because we're worried & desperately do not want to return to League One. However if he gets the results to keep us out of the bottom 6, the fanbase will largely be appeased including on here - that's the bottom line.

Excellent post mate, bang on the money. 👍

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

You're being very touchy Roy... not like you.

I honestly enjoy your ability to have a slightly irksome retort to any conversation! 

Don't go changing.

Sod off! You sweet talker you! 😁

9 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I just don’t get this problem about posters who are always moaning and pessimistic, and those who are always optimistic, with the mass of the posters in between. That’s the nature of a forum. People are individuals and see things differently. I see nothing to upset me like some on here.

This. It's a free world, post as you see it, say it as you wish (within the rules)

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Just maybe, Barrow was this season's Shrewsbury/Stevenage.

It's not been brilliant at times but there's positives. Most fans, me included, expect to struggle this season. Individually, I think we have players to get to midtable obscurity which is better than I expected at the end of last season. The big question is can we make sum of the whole greater than the sum of the individual parts?

Blackburn weren't better than us for long periods. 2nd half we had them, got too adventurous and got done by 3 breakaway goals.

Boro has five £5M players in their squad and have been building over several seasons. Our starting XI cost £600K. We nicked a very good goal and then they came at us. As a team they are where we will want to be in 3 years time.

Watford got the win in a game where we probably deserved a point. Both sides had 3 shots on target.

All 3 are expected by many to be top 8. That means they are seen as being better than us. We didn't get hammered by any of them. 

I think, and most definitely hope, that, in 9 games time, we'll be seeing more of what we want to see. Time will tell.

I agree with all that. But then I thought we’d be OK after that 2-2 draw against Portsmouth in 2007, so what do I know 😂

For the record, sober me thinks all that, but wouldn’t post it as it’s utterly pointless.

People will always be who they are, I won’t necessarily understand why they are what they are. Is what it is.

Only one man that can change opinions and silence the critics, that ain’t me, that would be a Mr Paul Warne. All on you fella.

24 minutes ago, Day said:

For the record, sober me thinks all that, but wouldn’t post it as it’s utterly pointless.

People will always be who they are, I won’t necessarily understand why they are what they are. Is what it is.

Only one man that can change opinions and silence the critics, that ain’t me, that would be a Mr Paul Warne. All on you fella.

By and large, but not entirely, I agree.

I don't think you can put all of the wayward passes, failure to protect the ball and making wrong decisions down to tactics, coaching, team selection and formation.