v Blackburn (A) Match Thread

Day

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I disagree.  But all opinions

Fair enough, but I do think you should watch the goals back (I have), and just check his positioning on the 2nd half goals.

My take on tonight:

Blackburn probably aren't as bad as many thought but they were on the ropes in the second half until we pressed the self destruct button. They won't be afforded that much space going forward by many teams I suspect.

Ozoh had a dodgy first half (as many did) but improved significantly in the second half. 

Elder looked very good going forward but was this at the expense of his defensive duties?

Vickers did nothing wrong but still some are calling him out. I really don't think a different keeper would have had the slightest effect on the result.

Cashin's preseason form seams to have stuck around. Hopefully that'll change soon.

We are obviously still light upfront - having to rely on set pieces for our only decent  chances.

In the first half we gave the ball away far too easily but managed to go in only a goal down.

Only one game down so no need to panic yet but the worry is, there aren't any games that look easy - certainly not our next against Boro in which it would be nice to bounce back but (depending on the actual performance) no need to start booing just yet if we lose.

Finally, shout out to those that travelled to the game, you were immense.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The one player who might go for a good fee as you put it scored 27 goals in the Championship last season.

If you don't consider that quality then head wobble time. 

He said 3 quality players.  I referred to the one as being quality, Weimann not so much and I doubt he has much of a clue prior to this week about a bloke just arrived from Hiroshima .  Try sending your boring barbs elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

My take on tonight:

Blackburn probably aren't as bad as many thought but they were on the ropes in the second half until we pressed the self destruct button. They won't be afforded that much space going forward by many teams I suspect.

Ozoh had a dodgy first half (as many did) but improved significantly in the second half. 

Elder looked very good going forward but was this at the expense of his defensive duties?

Vickers did nothing wrong but still some are calling him out. I really don't think a different keeper would have had the slightest effect on the result.

Cashin's preseason form seams to have stuck around. Hopefully that'll change soon.

We are obviously still light upfront - having to rely on set pieces for our only decent  chances.

In the first half we gave the ball away far too easily but managed to go in only a goal down.

Only one game down so no need to panic yet but the worry is, there aren't any games that look easy - certainly not our next against Boro in which it would be nice to bounce back but (depending on the actual performance) no need to start booing just yet if we lose.

Finally, shout out to those that travelled to the game, you were immense.

Excellent report - thanks for introducing some sanity.

1 hour ago, europia said:

Not a surprising result, but shipping 4 goals in opening game is a bit ominous, considering Blackburn were strugglers last season.  We had a decent 6 or 7 minute spell around the time of our first goal, but as otherwise, pretty poor all round. Defensively naive and no threat up front. I hope Warney knows what he's doing, as there are no obvious improvements on last seasons team.  

think the writing was on the wall shipping 4 v Chesterfield

Defensively we were so naive, should have just settled in at 1-1 

let them chase the game, a point would have been a good start

never mind lessons to be learned 

Onwards COYR

31 minutes ago, TerryH said:

So the problem with yourself is that it is never clear if you are sincere or taking the xxxx

It ends up that you actually have no credibility or character , a kind of fictional nobody who patrols a very small and finite land, sending barbs and bombs in equal measure but who never has the confidence in themselves to actually make an opinion on anything

Is this Chris Eubank?

42 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

He was out of position for all 3 2nd half goala. The first one (their 2nd) he went rushing out into tackles & took the ball off Osborns foot then was out of position. The 3rd he stumbled on the ball before passing it leaving all our players well advanced, Ozoh lost it but Elder was running back into position but Cashin instead of staying central went out wide meaning Elder went central but then when the ball went back out left he was practically on Elders toes & had left his man free, then jumped over the cross. Then for the 3rd he is for some reason attacking the ball in their half in the middle of the pitch so he is about 30 yards out of position & nowhere to be seen when their striker (who is in the position Cashin should be in) scores their 4th on the night.

None of those 3 goals were because he was out of position for the reasons you state about his passing.

This is exactly how I saw it. Feels like he’s just rushing in at the moment and playing with an air of rabid desperation. Tbf we were naive jumping in tonight in general.

So, I think we all mostly agree that we were defensively poor (when we were countered) and didn’t create too much up top, however, we had a great 15 min spell when we could sense an equaliser and it duly came followed by an implosion…. On a positive… what were we doing in that 15 min spell? Winning second balls, using the midfield in their half, visibly confident…? We need to do more of that, obviously!!

I fear that Warne will revert back to 5 at the back after that, but hope he doesnt

If we play a midfield 3, I think we need Ozoh and Adams in there together with Goudmijn in a more CAM role. I’d happily play Osborn LB as well, he’s much better than Elder and can still provide quality from set pieces etc.

Havibg 2 defensive minded centre mids (who can also attack), will help to alleviate pressure on the counter and allow for full backs to make more attacking runs.

Praying Warne doesn’t panic and switch back to a back 5. PRAYING!

Just got back from Blackburn. Despite the result, cracking away day and our fans were brilliant.

I thought first 10 minutes we were slow out the blocks and they came straight on to us and we struggled. 

Ironically we took control and they scored. Pretty poor goal to give away. Their lad was quickest to react and I think Ozoh was half asleep. 

I didn't think we were bad in the first half. We just didn't pose any threat at all. Looked fine defensively. Kenzo our best player. Couple of chances to set people away. Kenzo put a lovely ball through for Jackson who was offside when he shouldn't have been and then Wilson passed it straight out for a goal kick when it was a simple pass to set Barkhuizen away. 

Second half we come out and we're on top and fully deserved the equaliser and at that point I thought we would be the team to win it.

The second goal was a catalogue of errors really. Their lad sent Elder and Collins to the shops. Inexplicable they both went to ground like that and even worse that Wilson was nowhere to be seen at the back post.

Then after that we just went to pot. The third goal was poor. I thought Vickers should have done better to be honest. It's dead centre of the goal. I'm not sitting here saying Zetterstrom saves it or anything. But I think a better keeper does.

The 4th goal we just gave them too much room. 

All 4 goals were avoidable.

We had glimpses of being a good side. Massively lacking in the final third though, which Warne knows and has alluded to many times.

NML gave the ball away so many times today and his decision making in the final third was poor. 

Jackson isn't a centre forward at all. He's an option out wide and that's where he should be.

Kenzo, Ozoh (second half) and Osborn were the standouts for me.

I thought Cashin and NML were poor.

Collins came on and spent most of the game out wide chasing the ball. He's a number 9. Stay between the posts. 

For me we need the keeper, centre back, left back, attacking midfield/Number 10 and a striker.

I thought Warne was absolutely spot on in his interview. Nice to score from set pieces but we didn't create enough in the final third.

No reason to panic yet. See what the rest of the window has in store.

Disappointed Radio Derby didn't bother to ask Warne about signings.

13 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

I fear that Warne will revert back to 5 at the back after that, but hope he doesnt

If we play a midfield 3, I think we need Ozoh and Adams in there together with Goudmijn in a more CAM role. I’d happily play Osborn LB as well, he’s much better than Elder and can still provide quality from set pieces etc.

Havibg 2 defensive minded centre mids (who can also attack), will help to alleviate pressure on the counter and allow for full backs to make more attacking runs.

Praying Warne doesn’t panic and switch back to a back 5. PRAYING!

Why? 5 at the back got us promoted. I think it's the way to go

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Just got back from Blackburn. Despite the result, cracking away day and our fans were brilliant.

I thought first 10 minutes we were slow out the blocks and they came straight on to us and we struggled. 

Ironically we took control and they scored. Pretty poor goal to give away. Their lad was quickest to react and I think Ozoh was half asleep. 

I didn't think we were bad in the first half. We just didn't pose any threat at all. Looked fine defensively. Kenzo our best player. Couple of chances to set people away. Kenzo put a lovely ball through for Jackson who was offside when he shouldn't have been and then Wilson passed it straight out for a goal kick when it was a simple pass to set Barkhuizen away. 

Second half we come out and we're on top and fully deserved the equaliser and at that point I thought we would be the team to win it.

The second goal was a catalogue of errors really. Their lad sent Elder and Collins to the shops. Inexplicable they both went to ground like that and even worse that Wilson was nowhere to be seen at the back post.

Then after that we just went to pot. The third goal was poor. I thought Vickers should have done better to be honest. It's dead centre of the goal. I'm not sitting here saying Zetterstrom saves it or anything. But I think a better keeper does.

The 4th goal we just gave them too much room. 

All 4 goals were avoidable.

We had glimpses of being a good side. Massively lacking in the final third though, which Warne knows and has alluded to many times.

NML gave the ball away so many times today and his decision making in the final third was poor. 

Jackson isn't a centre forward at all. He's an option out wide and that's where he should be.

Kenzo, Ozoh (second half) and Osborn were the standouts for me.

I thought Cashin and NML were poor.

Collins came on and spent most of the game out wide chasing the ball. He's a number 9. Stay between the posts. 

For me we need the keeper, centre back, left back, attacking midfield/Number 10 and a striker.

I thought Warne was absolutely spot on in his interview. Nice to score from set pieces but we didn't create enough in the final third.

No reason to panic yet. See what the rest of the window has in store.

Disappointed Radio Derby didn't bother to ask Warne about signings.

Too much common sense mate. This will never do.

2 hours ago, valakari said:

Warne said afterwards how outstanding Callum Elder and Kane Wilson were.

I think that is absolute crap, 3 of the goals were down to these two full backs being out of position!

Malcolm Christie said he thought they were both average.

You have an opinion. Paul Warne has a opinion. Malcolm Christie has an opinion. I have an opinion. 100 different people on this forum all have opinion. What’s your point?? People have different opinions… this isn’t new.

1 hour ago, trappatoni said:

I think Warne sometimes says things for the players to keep their confidence up.   

Indeed. Would we prefer him to come out and trash the players?? Of course not.

But I’m one who thinks post-match interviews are pretty much pointless anyway. So, what do I know??

14 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Why? 5 at the back got us promoted. I think it's the way to go

No, 4 at the back won us games, 5 at the back got us draws when we could have won games.

4 at the back is our best formation and Warne even admitted that recently, by saying “we don’t have the players to play 5 at the back”

4 at the back allows us to attack, 5 at the back restricts us and means we have to hope for a counter attack or set piece