Realistic expectations for this season.

My personal take, given our new reset, would be to primarily avoid relegation.

I'd like to see us mid table, or better, but realistically I'd be happy to see us just holding our own in our first season back in the Championship.

I'll take consolidation above higher expectations.

What are others' realistic objectives?

My “realistic expectation” is that Warne will find it hard to get results early season . He will be backed by Clowes and carry on the difficult job of putting a new team together. Come January , an injection of cash will be needed . Hold on for a bumpy ride . 

The realistic expectation has to be survival. We definitely haven't invested or done enough in the transfer market to warrant anything beyond that (up to now) in my opinion. 

We don't have a lot of players who are proven, established Championship performers. A lot of our players dropped out of the Championship to play with us in League One. We have Ben Osborn who has a good body-of-work at Championship level, beyond that we have Jerry Yates who has put together a few good seasons and earned a move. The rest are largely unproven at that level or hopeful that their resurgent career with us plays into them being better players at the next level: Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Curtis Nelson and Ebou Adams (for example). 

I'm also not a fan of how many of our players have missed games over the past two, three seasons. It does seem that the recruitment strategy has been to avoid injury prone players, although we will see with Osborn, but I suspect that we need to account for 6-8 players being unavailable at key points in the season. Rooney has already been impacted until the next calendar year. 

On the back of the above, it also highlights problematic position groups: 

Right Back/Right Wing Back - Wilson, Ward, Nyambe & Rooney missed significant time last season with injury. It's a fragile group. Same with the Left Back/Left Wing Back position - Elder, Forsyth & Osborn. I'm also worried that Nyambe can't play right wing back and Osborn is unlikely to play left back in a back four. I'm also concerned with the lack of speed in defence. I was worried about our central midfield selection until recently, but feel Ozoh, Adams & Goudmijn have a lot of promise. Osborn can obviously play there and perform well. I think we need one more, perhaps more attacking, because we are going to need goals from all over the pitch. We obviously have every reason to be concerned if we have enough going forward: NML isn't going to be able to bully players as easily at the next level, whilst CBT has left a lot to be desired up to now despite some glimpses of talent. Barkhuizen, Collins and Washington will all struggle to be impactful at Championship level. I don't have a ton of confidence in us as an attacking side.  

I think we've probably done enough to be competitive on any given Saturday, but lack quality depth in the squad and could be disrupted throughout the season with injuries because we have proven to be susceptible to them as a group. We need to do a lot of work to avoid being in the relegation discussion, we need a lot more talent through the door for sure. I think we're probably going to see the transfer window closed worried if we have done enough, I suspect the club have found it more frustrating that they would've liked too.

Still depends on what happens in the transfer market in the next couple of weeks.

If we get a couple of serious goal threats and lose only deadwood, we could do okay.

The first battle is maintaining a solid team that’s hard to beat. But we won’t find goals from lots of different players like in League One so we’ll need better forwards than we have at present.

I stated last season that outside the top 7 or 8 sides there is plenty of dross in this division. That we'd be fine if we added a quick option at centre back and full back, two midfielders who looked forward and were good for 10-15 goals and a couple of centre forwards with fast feet who could get 20-25 goals.  We also now need a goalie of championship standard and have lost Sibley without really getting the above apart from the fella from The Netherlands, who looks to attack, but not sure about the goals.   Some better strikers at least, or struggling round the bottom 5. You can't work and  muscle your way to 50 points plus. 

At the moment, 18-20 but with some more good signings maybe 12-16th. 

Yeh, avoid relegation main aim. 

I’ll go in order of priority, I’d be happy if we just got the first one this season but we should be aiming for all four. 

1. Stay up.

2. Play better football and fully win over the fanbase.

3. Generate an atmosphere at Pride Park, have some good results and performances that fans can get behind. You want to see us sell more season tickets for 25/26 than we have for 24/25.

4. Produce a Derby County that looks like an exciting investment.

Pull the club together and showcase us as the potential Premier League regular we could be if we had money injected into the club - be considered the next Brentford or Brighton, not the next Sheffield United.

Get a result in a showcase game over Christmas on Sky Sports against Red Bull Leeds, create some memorable moments at a packed Pride Park and become a club that people want to see at the top level again - not Mel’s expensively assembled pantomime villains with a celebrity manager.

Become a great story, a club that’s come back from the brink and is going to earn its way back to the Premier League by doing things the right way.

28 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I’ll go in order of priority, I’d be happy if we just got the first one this season but we should be aiming for all four. 

1. Stay up.

2. Play better football and fully win over the fanbase.

3. Generate an atmosphere at Pride Park, have some good results and performances that fans can get behind. You want to see us sell more season tickets for 25/26 than we have for 24/25.

4. Produce a Derby County that looks like an exciting investment.

Pull the club together and showcase us as the potential Premier League regular we could be if we had money injected into the club - be considered the next Brentford or Brighton, not the next Sheffield United.

Get a result in a showcase game over Christmas on Sky Sports against Red Bull Leeds, create some memorable moments at a packed Pride Park and become a club that people want to see at the top level again - not Mel’s expensively assembled pantomime villains with a celebrity manager.

Become a great story, a club that’s come back from the brink and is going to earn its way back to the Premier League by doing things the right way.

Alright Dave?

Just looked at the Early realistic expectations thread , started on May 17. Lots of fans talking Automatic and top 6. Most common -Mid table budget = Mid table finish . So why is confidence evaporating?  2 friendly’s ? Or are we not bringing in the sort of players we expected?

15 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just looked at the Early realistic expectations thread , started on May 17. Lots of fans talking Automatic and top 6. Most common -Mid table budget = Mid table finish . So why is confidence evaporating?  2 friendly’s ? Or are we not bringing in the sort of players we expected?

Neither.

Simply sobering up and reality kicking in for some (were there really “lots of fans” talking about automatic?) after the euphoria of promotion in May.