Sibley gone

Posted (edited)

Bit sad about this one, as I was with Bird. The romantic/football manager nerd in me loves the idea of a Derby side filled with homegrown talent. Not to say we won’t ever see that but a number of those most recently able to play first team football for the club are gone, for me it’s the legacy of admin and what could have been. 

Wish him all the best in his career and look forward to how the team progresses with new faces. Wonder if we’ll get an exit interview from him? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

While it sucks, I get it. The big contract combined with not being a critical player for us moving forward was always going to make negotiations tricky. Wish him all the best, wore his heart on his sleeve and always gave 100%. The lethargy when required to give Leeds a guard of honour proved he really was 'one of us' as well 😂 Hope he lands on his feet wherever he ends up!

I think it’s the right decision for him in his career. Never nailed down his preferred position under a number of managers, and he’s not guaranteed to play much in the position that Warne has played him - his most consistent run of appearances.

I genuinely hope that he goes on to have a really good career, but I don’t think he would have progressed any further if he stayed.

Mismanaged, and a terrible waste of such a talent. A little like Elsnik. But it was heartbreaking to see him shackled at Derby, a bit part left back. I still think he has a very high ceiling, and will cheer him on as he tries to reach it elsewhere.

Not had time to read the DCFC piece. Guessing we haven't offered a contract of comparable value so we won't get compensation? Just a guess. If his agent is decent I could see him going to a lower Prem team, or one clearly fighting for promotion to the Prem. 

Goodbye sweet prince... 

1 minute ago, GeneralRam said:

Sadly didn't live up to expectations but he was a Derby lad through and through.

League One will be his level unfortunately. 

Don’t agree. Warne said he was the best finisher at the club then stuck him at left-back. Scoring goals is the most expensive part of football. He will be in demand . Even as an impact sub . Would not be suprised to see him at Bristol City . Gutted to see him go as I rate him as much better than Bird . The only thing we don’t know is about his attitude. Another manager will get the best out of him . Mark my words. 

I'm really disappointed with this due to a number of factors, but I always felt for him to get to where he needs to be then it would have to be away from Derby. I suspect he will have a good move lined up somewhere. 

Genuinely one of the very best players I have seen (not just for us) at a Premier League academy. How it's got to this point genuinely baffles me. 

Shame that.  Came on quite a bit last season and has that bit of drive on the ball from the middle.  He has always seemed very keen to have a more advanced role and has spent too long here at full back or stuck out wide for 30 minutes, so that's probably swayed it.  Could lose a bit of money on this one in the next couple of years.