Transfer rumours

I like that we are mostly looking at younger players with something to prove. It seems we are trying to bring in more players in the Kane Wilson mould, players that are still raw with potential to grow and have an upwards trajectory.

Lonwijk lines up with that, coming with good reviews from his time at Wycombe and Plymouth. Kane, Small, Trott and a few others surely also fall into that bracket.

I just hope that we don’t forget to bring in some creative players. I am yet to see a link to a player that can truly excite.

If we are plucking young players from the leagues below, someone like Azeez from Reading or Randall from Peterborough would really show that our recruitment team have good plans for us.

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Well you could argue that it was Mel who gave him an over inflated contract at the time that we’re now not willing to match.

With such big earners in the squad at the time and Sibleys electric burst onto the scene the numbers probably seemed justified. Circumstances have vastly changed since and he was likely one of the highest earners at the club last season. 

Not sure how accurate these figures are but I don't think they'll be too far off

https://salarysport.com/football/league-one/derby-county/

Both Souttar and Lonwijk would be really solid signings for where we want to be this year.

If Bradley goes to Charlton, Souttar to fit into his place in the middle of the 3, we’d have Lonwijk, Nyambe & Forsyth who could also play there which would allow Rooney to go off on loan. After his injury, I think it’s important he gets some regular game time which he probably wouldn’t get next season.

A starting LWB to replace Sibley with Elder/Forsyth as back-up, plus possibly Iversen in goal, and the defensive side of the team would be sorted, and a quality one even for Championship standards.

26 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Both Souttar and Lonwijk would be really solid signings for where we want to be this year.

If Bradley goes to Charlton, Souttar to fit into his place in the middle of the 3, we’d have Lonwijk, Nyambe & Forsyth who could also play there which would allow Rooney to go off on loan. After his injury, I think it’s important he gets some regular game time which he probably wouldn’t get next season.

A starting LWB to replace Sibley with Elder/Forsyth as back-up, plus possibly Iversen in goal, and the defensive side of the team would be sorted, and a quality one even for Championship standards.

Out of interest, we didn't need a back three last season why do we need one this? Just shift Bradley on, he was the reason for the three.

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Out of interest, we didn't need a back three last season why do we need one this? Just shift Bradley on, he was the reason for the three.

I never said we need one, but it’s how we finished the season and it seems to be how Warne prefers to set up. We came away from that when Bradley was suspended and had no other centre backs, but as soon as he was back it was a return to that shape. I’d be surprised if that changes over the summer.

8 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I never said we need one, but it’s how we finished the season and it seems to be how Warne prefers to set up. We came away from that when Bradley was suspended and had no other centre backs, but as soon as he was back it was a return to that shape. I’d be surprised if that changes over the summer.

But that was last season and the signings Warne made for Div 1. This is a new season in the Championship, so will he still want to start with a back 3, after all he’s already said this is a completely different challenge.

1 hour ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Not sure how accurate these figures are but I don't think they'll be too far off

https://salarysport.com/football/league-one/derby-county/

They will be quite a way off. The wage bill from last season will be in excess of £20m and if it isn’t then I would be surprised to see it any less than £18m. 

Typical rule of thumb is 70% towards first-team costs, so that’s between £12-14m for us.

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

They will be quite a way off. The wage bill from last season will be in excess of £20m and if it isn’t then I would be surprised to see it any less than £18m. 

Typical rule of thumb is 70% towards first-team costs, so that’s between £12-14m for us.

The first team squad wage bill was only £7m, the rest of the wages in 22/23 was not first team player related, probably made up from coaching staff, admin, Moor Farm staff and young players, matchday staff, etc. Allowing for a modest increase, 23/24 first team wage bill should be around £10m.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The reason for the 3 was Nyambe getting injured.

Neither Wilson or Ward are comfortable playing as an out and out right back and it showed.

When Nyambe was injured we had to go to a 3 at the back to play with wing backs which is what Ward and Wilson are.

10 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We’ve seen this throughout time. The main prospects at junior level not hit the heights people expect and those who don’t necessarily catch the eye to the same degree develop later and have better careers. Several “wonder kids” haven’t made it. 

IMO Sibley has had numerous chances in his preferred position and in other roles to show what he can do. He looked brilliant when he burst into the first team but in reality he only made a sensational impact in his first 10 games, we’ve only seen glimpses since. For me hes one dimensional and has always lacked game intelligence. Hopefully hes making the right move for him and his career and he can salvage something, but he won’t end up any higher than the championship and we won’t be missing out on a generational talent. 

However, we’ve seen plenty of evidence of what we had in the academy and it’s devastating to see our former prospects we lost for nothing flourishing elsewhere and now worth millions. Blame current and previous managers all you want but the fact this is happening is down to one man alone - Mel! If it weren’t for admin all the prospects would’ve been tied down and pathways created, I’m sure players like Brown Ebosele and Whittaker would’ve been right up the street of our current manager. 

I don’t watch academy football therefore can only comment on what I’ve seen in the first team but the player for me with the most talent of all of them was Morgan Whittaker. However he wasn’t ready, he didn’t have any confidence and just looked overawed, like he was constantly waiting for something to happen. Cooper signed him for Swansea and again it didn’t really happen, it took a league one spell at Plymouth. He was always going to come good but just needed that emotional development. Now he looks a serious player. 

Thankfully it looks like we have another set of potential gems in the academy but Whittaker is the prime example that with some of them we will need to be patient.

A problem with Whitaker is that he was virtually only ever played out of position. Sound familiar? Although he seems to have tailed off now, Weimann, who achieved very little apart from working hard playing out of position, when played to his strengths started scoring for fun. And so it us with Sibley. Eh did well under Cocu, who has a reputation for making the best of young players. But Rosenior and Rooney  rushed his creativity, and Warne didn’t give him much of a chance until the small squad and injuries forced him to open the door, and he got lucky.

It will be a hell of a waste if the lad does go, but I would hope that he finds a manager who lets him play football instead of forcing him to do something else. And yet again we’ll be left saying “What if …..?” or “if only …..”

49 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The reason for the 3 was Nyambe getting injured.

Neither Wilson or Ward are comfortable playing as an out and out right back and it showed.

When Nyambe was injured we had to go to a 3 at the back to play with wing backs which is what Ward and Wilson are.

And the reason we had one fullback?

7 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Edmundson on a permanent plus a decent chunk of cash? I’d like that I think

No. Only managed to play more than 50% of lewgue ganes twice in his career - the last time being in 18/19. Exactly the type of injury record we should steer clear of 

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

The first team squad wage bill was only £7m, the rest of the wages in 22/23 was not first team player related, probably made up from coaching staff, admin, Moor Farm staff and young players, matchday staff, etc. Allowing for a modest increase, 23/24 first team wage bill should be around £10m.

The accounts didn't even state 'first team wages'. They stated 42% SCMP from a £20.442m turnover, which equates to £8.6m (Dom Dietrich made an error by stating £7.3m). As I pointed out several times previously, this figure would have excluded wages for the likes of Cashin, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Thompson and Rooney (due to SCMP excluding players due to age). As you can imagine, the true first team wage bill would have been a fair way higher than £8.6m. 

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No. Only managed to play more than 50% of lewgue ganes twice in his career - the last time being in 18/19. Exactly the type of injury record we should steer clear of 

The accounts didn't even state 'first team wages'. They stated 42% SCMP from a £20.442m turnover, which equates to £8.6m (Dom Dietrich made an error by stating £7.3m). As I pointed out several times previously, this figure would have excluded wages for the likes of Cashin, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Thompson and Rooney (due to SCMP excluding players due to age). As you can imagine, the true first team wage bill would have been a fair way higher than £8.6m. 

£17.2m in wages at the club for 22/23 - I would say £12m (70%) is a fair reflection for the playing staff. It left £5.2m per annum for 118 non-playing staff which is roughly £44k per annum on average. I could argue again that’s still pretty high, but as ball park figures are likely to be there or thereabouts.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And the reason we had one fullback?

Jake Rooney picked up a season-long injury and we were a League 1 team that couldn't afford a bottomless squad.

TBF to Kane Wilson, I think his defending improved considerably over the course of the season and he could have been employed as RB in a back 4 if only both of our LBs weren't also injured when Nyambe got injured.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Jake Rooney picked up a season-long injury and we were a League 1 team that couldn't afford a bottomless squad.

TBF to Kane Wilson, I think his defending improved considerably over the course of the season and he could have been employed as RB in a back 4 if only both of our LBs weren't also injured when Nyambe got injured.

Rooney's not a fullback, neither is Wilson. They're as much fullbacks as Sibley.

Edited by RoyMac5