Transfer rumours

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/332289-breaking-michael-smith-to-derby-county/ 

Wednesday fans talking as though this has credence, although not sure how genuine the link is.

I'm fairly sure this wouldn't be well-received by the majority on here either. If we are in for one more striker, and this is the striker, I'd be concerned. I genuinely wouldn't mind Smith as an option, he's better than Washington and Collins, but he's a known limited entity at Championship level. 

As day follows night 

29 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/332289-breaking-michael-smith-to-derby-county/ 

Wednesday fans talking as though this has credence, although not sure how genuine the link is.

I'm fairly sure this wouldn't be well-received by the majority on here either. If we are in for one more striker, and this is the striker, I'd be concerned. I genuinely wouldn't mind Smith as an option, he's better than Washington and Collins, but he's a known limited entity at Championship level. 

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

29 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

As they've provided no actual link as far as I can see, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. I for one wouldn't deal with that plank of an owner at all after how he messed us around last season.

I imagine this story will run for several pages though regardless 😂 

18 minutes ago, Crewton said:

As they've provided no actual link as far as I can see, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. I for one wouldn't deal with that plank of an owner at all after how he messed us around last season.

I imagine this story will run for several pages though regardless 😂 

Quite a few w****** on that forum.  Steel City second team syndrome is alive and well.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

If we bring him in we need to shift Washington and get some direct pace and power or were fooked.  Simple as that for me.  Washington, Smith, Yates and Collins.  25 goals maybe. That's assuming Washington isn't getting splinters in his arse for the season and Collins knee holds up. 

Unfortunately, so is Warne.

Michael smith would only be a good option on a free and if Dajaune was going out on loan, Washington was leaving and we were signing another striker aswell. If that doesn’t happen it’s an awful transfer, even though the link has no reliability. Also doesn’t match up with our other signings this year which have all been good athletic players in a good age bar maybe Jackson. 

If we get the JWZ and Dembele deals done + a lwb on loan and a solid cb it’ll have been a great window with a good core of players to build around for the next few years. 

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Unfortunately, so is Warne.

Warne has had the significantly lowest budget in the league every season he’s been at Championship level. He’s remit has been ‘have a go, do what you can’ but ultimately the writing was always on the wall. 

Rotherham’s wage bill in the Championship under Warne was £7.2m across 163 members of staff (£44,171 per annum on average). The first year in League One, following administration, we spent £17.2m across 177 members of staff (£97,175.14 on average). We barely had squad that year - that really should give you an insight to how difficult he had it at Rotherham and what he did when he was given a budget comparable to his competition in League One was achieve every single time. 

Warne has had the significantly lowest budget in the league every season he’s been at Championship level. He’s remit has been ‘have a go, do what you can’ but ultimately the writing was always on the wall. 

Rotherham’s wage bill in the Championship under Warne was £7.2m across 163 members of staff (£44,171 per annum on average). The first year in League One, following administration, we spent £17.2m across 177 members of staff (£97,175.14 on average). We barely had squad that year - that really should give you an insight to how difficult he had it at Rotherham and what he did when he was given a budget comparable to his competition in League One was achieve every single time. 

Yes, but he still plays s**** football!

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Saw this. It’s a knotty one. You said ‘WH bought him from Wolves for £40m.” Dont think that’s what happened. I think WH offered 40 and then Wolves went to Maidenhead and said : ‘we’ll only accept the offer if you agree 5 not 10’. Clubs spend all their lives negotiating like this. Maidenhead could have called their bluff. But they didn’t. 
Welcome to capitalism.  The big guy usually crushes the small guy. We might have done the same … 

We effectively did that when we sold Boyle and Lowe to Sheff Utd.  Making Lowe the most expensive as part of the deal meant we gave Swindon a lower sell-on figure.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If we bring him in we need to shift Washington and get some direct pace and power or were fooked.  Simple as that for me.  Washington, Smith, Yates and Collins.  25 goals maybe. That's assuming Washington isn't getting splinters in his arse for the season and Collins knee holds up. 

There are no circumstances under which we should be signing Smith. I doubt Washington Smith and Collins would get any where near 25 goals I doubt they would reach 15 between them. We don’t want Smith and Washington needs shipping out

25 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

There are no circumstances under which we should be signing Smith. I doubt Washington Smith and Collins would get any where near 25 goals I doubt they would reach 15 between them. We don’t want Smith and Washington needs shipping out

I would be fine with Smith if Washington and Collins were shipped out. He is at least the type we need and would be a start while we find better, but we already have old strikers and need to move them out first. I don’t think Collins should have been given a new deal, Smith would have been an upgrade at least on the bench. 

1 hour ago, RamInSweden said:

I would be fine with Smith if Washington and Collins were shipped out. He is at least the type we need and would be a start while we find better, but we already have old strikers and need to move them out first. I don’t think Collins should have been given a new deal, Smith would have been an upgrade at least on the bench. 

We arnt going to ship out Collins as we have just resigned him. I would rather have Collins than Smith anyway 

Why don't we just let the Manager get on with it instead of being critical of his every move. 

Since we last had any kind of success we've had something like 17 managers who have achieved f all...except all adding to the Financial demise we found ourselves a couple of years ago. 

So we have a manager now who seems to know what he's doing yet there are some on here advocating sacking him at Christmas if we're not "successful "...please, just give the bloke a chance eh...

Smith would be ok on the basis that there really isn't many true number 9's under 28 years old about (that are trustworthy) and the one's that are available have got probably 10+ clubs after them therefore you have to spend big money to capture them. Like Goalkeepers for most number 9's they bloom late their prime is usually 28-33.

Clearly the striker market is extremely difficult and you do not get much for your money at all.

£10 million for Will Osula (3 goals in 44 career apps) and £6 million for Jay Stansfield (very good potential, but has had one season in league one and one in the champ)

Those prices are insane and highlight what you can get for your money. Stansfield was one I mentioned at the end of the season as one we should look at, but paying £6 million (not that we would) is outrageous. 

I know Warne has said he wants a number 9, I took that to mean he is wanting the conventional 9, target man who holds the ball up and gets on the end of crosses into the box. But he could have meant a poacher in the box, as we do not have one of them either (someone like Taylor at Luton)

So far we have got the deals in that have been relatively straight forward, Jackson and Osborn were frees, Ozoh on loan, Kenzo as Warne said started off as a no too expensive, before it became affordable so the deal got done, Adams was always going to happen, probably ended up being a lot more complicated than we anticipated, Yates a pretty straight forward loan. 

There is probably around 5-6 more to come in and these are the ones we need to be patient for. Some will probably be prem loans, some maybe from abroad. 

I think we will get in the players we need and if we have to wait till the end of the month then fine. They will be in.

If the striker ends up being Smith so be it. He is different to what we have, a big strong target man. Not my first choice, but I would get behind the bloke.

I honestly cannot think of any strikers out there that we could bring in really. But I am sure we have our targets.

Been impressed with our summer so far, this for me would be a bit of a step back, a striker was clearly needed and if we’ve been looking abroad etc surely there’s one better out there than Smith?