Pre season

49 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Thing you have to remember during pre season as well is most of the training they'll have been doing up until now will be fitness work, specially under Warne, and the fitness will shine through at the latter end of the season, so there all probably foooooked out there at the mo! 

Judge them after at least 10 league games! If we haven't won any and still look bad, then yeah I understand the worrying, but right now come on ffs!!

Up the Rams 🐑

All clubs do fitness training and at this level they'll all have highly qualified fitness coaches.   We know Warne's philosophy is to work them hard in training - maybe harder than others - but it's not a given that produces fitter players with no downsides - fatigue or injury - otherwise every team would do It.   I don't remember us looking noticeably fitter than the opposition at the back end of the last two seasons. 

11 minutes ago, Thameram said:

Cashin was way off it today

On a good day, he puts me in mind of watching a non-league game where one player wins every header,  wins every tackle, seems comfortable on the ball if a little one-footed, seems strong enough to make up for a lack of pace,  has a great long ball and is a danger from crosses... just head and shoulders the best player.

But is he a £10m player? On a bad day he looks a bit leggy, dives in a bit,  gets caught out of position, looks too small,  too slow for the top level.

I prefer Nelson in a back two rather than right of a 3. Think the 2 of them are much better in partnership not split by Bradley. Niambe is better as a defensive right back and Wilson can play there when we want to be on the front foot.

Obviously a pacey Rolls Royce of a signing may tie it all together and leave Bradley as the special team centre back to close out games and/or create chaos in the opposition box.

Edited by Chester40

It rarely works at Championship level when managers are stubborn about a playing style or system, despite not having the personnel to get it working. We saw that under Pearson, Cocu to an extent and Rooney most recently at Birmingham.

Warne can't afford to have this squad playing at just 70% of its potential. The squad isn't good enough whereby 70% potential will see us in midtable. It's a bottom 8 squad, and failing to get the best out of it will see us struggle.

I agree with those wanting to see slightly more encouraging signs from pre-season, however it does sound from what Barker said pre-match and Warne post-match that they have knowingly played people out of position and in random combinations for the purpose of “minutes in the legs”.
The logic of doing so is something others can debate, just pointing out that it is apparently (taking what they say at face value) intentional for fitness reasons. I can’t recall the exact quote but it almost sounded like there’s an intended minutes target for each player, sports science reasons maybe? 

Warne saying the next 2 games will be treated and prepared for more like a typical league game, so I suppose I have to wait and see on Wednesday if there’s more logic/structure to the line up and patterns of play or if it’s more of the same. I’m not going to tell others how to think or feel, for me I’m not yet concerned and will wait and see.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I agree with those wanting to see slightly more encouraging signs from pre-season, however it does sound from what Barker said pre-match and Warne post-match that they have knowingly played people out of position and in random combinations for the purpose of “minutes in the legs”.
The logic of doing so is something others can debate, just pointing out that it is apparently (taking what they say at face value) intentional for fitness reasons. I can’t recall the exact quote but it almost sounded like there’s an intended minutes target for each player, sports science reasons maybe? 

Warne saying the next 2 games will be treated and prepared for more like a typical league game, so I suppose we wait and see on Wednesday if there’s more logic/structure to the line up and patterns of play or if it’s more of the same. I’m not going to tell others how to think or feel, for me I’m not yet concerned and will wait and see.

Agree CR…..I will wait and see how we do in proper league games before I start getting my 🩲in a twist 😊

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne saying the next 2 games will be treated and prepared for more like a typical league game, so I suppose we wait and see on Wednesday if there’s more logic/structure to the line up and patterns of play or if it’s more of the same. I’m not going to tell others how to think or feel, for me I’m not yet concerned and will wait and see.

Exactly, I'm not overly concerned yet either.  It would be nice to see us playing a bit better but we're playing players out of position for minutes after a weeks of double/triple training sessions.  A lot of the goals we have conceded have also been down to GK or individual errors.

We hopefully have a very good GK coming in a week or so and PW has stated several times he expects more players to be added to the squad.  Unlike a lot of Championship squad that maybe only needed 3 or 4 players this summer, we're in the middle of another overhaul and that takes time.  I hope that PW has all the players he needs by the time the transfer window shuts and the fans allow them time to bed in and start playing.

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

To be fair Warne has often said he doesn’t work much on tactics so two games is plenty. Every player defends in a low block, win the ball and get it out wide, cross it into mixer and let the big fella fight for it. Wait for a set piece, cross into the mixer and let the big fella fight for it. Easy. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

There's only two weeks to go.

So two 'first teams' played, neither put on a display? Why not start to settle the side/formation?

I know there is only 2 weeks to go. I agree that a team formation needs to be settled.  Problem we have is we needed too many new players all at once, and we haven't finished yet.  Finding those partnerships that click won't be easy or quick I am afraid. 

I fully understand that these are preseason results to be taken with a grain of salt. But more quality is needed, especially up front. Very poor striker signings so far.

I'd give Warne a VERY short leash this season. First sign of trouble and I'm moving on. No way in hell do I want back in League One, and his track record in championship is poor.. 

27 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So are we still doomed then?

Apart from the fact that I always want Derby to win every game they play, I’m not too bothered about the result. However, it would be nice to start to see some better football soon.

The main takeaways for me (for context, I was at the game) are that whilst recognising it was still only a friendly: Cashin again looked off it early on, I prefer to see Nelson playing more central rather than in that position in a back three, Ozoh looks a beast - I just hope his game works against Championship teams, CBT just can’t seem to get his game going consistently, we need to take care of the ball more (perhaps we will in a competitive game) and, as much as I love Collins, the new players up front haven’t really added anything yet.

Still early days though and I won’t give two hoots about the pre-season friendlies provided we have a decent start to the season even if that includes a defeat at Blackburn provided there are encouraging signs.

36 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

On a good day, he puts me in mind of watching a non-league game where one player wins every header,  wins every tackle, seems comfortable on the ball if a little one-footed, seems strong enough to make up for a lack of pace,  has a great long ball and is a danger from crosses... just head and shoulders the best player.

But is he a £10m player? On a bad day he looks a bit leggy, dives in a bit,  gets caught out of position, looks too small,  too slow for the top level.

I prefer Nelson in a back two rather than right of a 3. Think the 2 of them are much better in partnership not split by Bradley. Niambe is better as a defensive right back and Wilson can play there when we want to be on the front foot.

Obviously a pacey Rolls Royce of a signing may tie it all together and leave Bradley as the special team centre back to close out games and/or create chaos in the opposition box.

Bradley brings chaos. Much as a central two and back four… but we know how stubborn PW is with his 3-5-2.

I hope the notion that things will look better once we prepare for these friendlies more like league games proves accurate but the thing is, many / most of the issues & concerns that people have been voicing about our performance in pre-season aren't new. They were present throughout the majority of the season but usually covered up and brushed under the carpet by a favourable scoreline.

Warne said himself in analysing last season something along the lines of there only really being a handful of matches where we performed to our potential.

Even during our best runs of form there were plenty of games where we didn't particularly impress, looked disjointed and were outplayed between the boxes by an inferior opposition but one piece of class / inegnuity from a Derby player with a little bit of class above League One standard dug us out of a hole, or a poorly marked set-piece allowed us a goal while our own mistakes went unpunished.

Us getting that first goal and forcing the opposition to attack us, before hitting them on the counter is largely responsible for how good the goal difference was but there was very little attacking flair to our game considering just how many goals we ended up scoring. It reminded me of Brighton's promotion the the PL under Hughton - boring percentage football, big wins.

Actually, I've no doubt that things will improve to some degree, the question is will it be enough?

Edited by May Contain Nuts

14 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I know there is only 2 weeks to go. I agree that a team formation needs to be settled.  Problem we have is we needed too many new players all at once, and we haven't finished yet.  Finding those partnerships that click won't be easy or quick I am afraid. 

As GhostofClough said we should be playing to a formation and filling the gaps with Academy players. How is playing CBT at LWB helping him or the team? Why haven't we the spine of the team already, or have we? No-one knows, does Warne. 😄

45 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

All clubs do fitness training and at this level they'll all have highly qualified fitness coaches.   We know Warne's philosophy is to work them hard in training - maybe harder than others - but it's not a given that produces fitter players with no downsides - fatigue or injury - otherwise every team would do It.   I don't remember us looking noticeably fitter than the opposition at the back end of the last two seasons. 

But why did the Shrews look sharper and fitter than us, thats a worry . Chesterfield gave us the run around too. Its the quickness of thought and our first touch is dire .

I couldn't see many bad first touches from either of the last opposition teams , which is strange