Retained List

Hourihane, Waghorn and Bird are going or gone.

TJJ and Ebou loans finished. Robinson looks like a loan out waiting to happen if retained.

That leaves 19 outfield players, with questions marks over Gayle, Smith, Foz, Collo, Barkhuisen for contract renewals. Sibley and Thomo surely deserve an extension?

7-11 outfield players required in my opinion, and I'd be looking at 10-11 depending on who we think we can get. Plus the Wildsmith situation to resolve. Going to be a busy summer.

Let go:

Hourihane 

Barks

Smith (borderline) 

Waghorn 

Gayle

Fozzy (borderline) 

Loach

Sell/loan if we can to remove them:

Washington (I don't want us to get the Rotherham band back together. Signing him was a poor decision) 

Bradley (very poor footballer) 

Elder (always injured) 

Fornah (seemingly not good enough) 

Offer new deals:

Collins (a surprise, but he has earnt his chance) 

Sibley (hate Warne's attitude to him, and disregard. Half hopes he moves to the Prem and becomes a star elsewhere, but to get money for him, we have to offer a deal. If he signs it, I still believe he's our attacking midfielder to build the team around.)

Thompson 

Wildsmith 

Other:

Only if there's a pay as you play deal, offer TJJ a contract. 

Only if he can be bought cheaply, bring Adams back. Like him, but at a level above there are better players. 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Let go:

Hourihane 

Barks

Smith (borderline) 

Waghorn 

Gayle

Fozzy (borderline) 

Loach

Washington (I don't want us to get the Rotherham band back together. Signing him was a poor decision) 

Elder (always injured) 

Offer new deals:

Sibley (hate Warne's attitude to him, and disregard. Half hopes he moves to the Prem and becomes a star elsewhere, but to get money for him, we have to offer a deal. If he signs it, I still believe he's our attacking midfielder to build the team around.)

Thompson 

Wildsmith 

Other:

Only if he can be bought cheaply, bring Adams back. Like him, but at a level above there are better players. 

adams has been immense since his arrival,he has been the spark that got us auto promotion,in my opinion.my fear is ,we get him,and he cannot reach the heights he has this season in the champ,there is a reason Cardiff let him go,they would not let him go if he was playing for them as he has been for us

41 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

adams has been immense since his arrival,he has been the spark that got us auto promotion,in my opinion.my fear is ,we get him,and he cannot reach the heights he has this season in the champ,there is a reason Cardiff let him go,they would not let him go if he was playing for them as he has been for us

He was mainly injured while at Cardiff 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

even more of a gamble then

It was a one off freak injury I’ve read. Unusual for football , he has been pretty much fit the rest of his career and was so in his spell with us. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brutal-injury-never-seen-before-27550239.amp

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Changed a bit.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Let go:

Hourihane 

Barks

Smith (borderline) 

Waghorn 

Gayle

Fozzy (borderline) 

Loach

Elder (always injured) 

Offer new deals:

Thompson 

Wildsmith 

Other:

Bradley has proved, since he recovered from a very shaky start, that he is anything but a "very poor footballers". He may not be good enough for the Championship but he isn't poor.

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

More of a trio than a band, isn't it?

As for Washington, he was doing alright before he got injured. 5 goals/assists in 672 minutes of football is a better rate than NML (not that his influence has been remotely comparable), so to call his signature a very poor decision is an insult to real very poor decisions (which usually require a fee to be paid for very little impact). I doubt his wages are comparable either.

On 28/04/2024 at 11:49, jimtastic56 said:

Collins will be 34 in December and scored 3 goals in his last Championship season . Agree Smith is not the answer . To finish mid-table , we could do with 3 strikers that can get 10 goals each . They won’t come cheap . 

Absolutely, but this is where our recruitment team need to earn their money. Needs to be remembered that much of the squad that won us promotion was put together by Liam, so let's see what the recruitment strategy is moving forward. 

I'd release Smith, Wildsmith, Waghorn, Hourihane and Gayle.

I'd try to loan or sell Fornah and Washington. Maybe loan Rooney depending on signings.

I'd give Fozzy, Collins and Barks 1 year contracts. 2 years to Sibley and Tommo but loan out the latter.

I guess Wildsmith is the most controversial there but I think we need a better 1st choice and there are 3 or 4 decent frees available.

6 hours ago, sage said:

I'd release Smith, Wildsmith, Waghorn, Hourihane and Gayle.

I'd try to loan or sell Fornah and Washington. Maybe loan Rooney depending on signings.

I'd give Fozzy, Collins and Barks 1 year contracts. 2 years to Sibley and Tommo but loan out the latter.

I guess Wildsmith is the most controversial there but I think we need a better 1st choice and there are 3 or 4 decent frees available.

I really don't get this thing with Wildsmith. He's not the perfect keeper by any means, but he has just kept 20 clean sheets in a season. Yes, a lot of that is down to the players in front of him, but he still made some very important saves to keep the score at nil. Many seem to remember more his mistakes rather than his saves. If we were looking to sign a keeper who had just kept 20 clean sheets in a season in the league below us then most people would be all over it.

Wildsmith made a couple of big blunders this season but aside from that has been very good. I would retain him and work more on his distribution. Even if we happen to bring someone in better, he'd make a great 2nd choice if he still wants to stick around. 

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I really don't get this thing with Wildsmith. He's not the perfect keeper by any means, but he has just kept 20 clean sheets in a season. Yes, a lot of that is down to the players in front of him, but he still made some very important saves to keep the score at nil. Many seem to remember more his mistakes rather than his saves. If we were looking to sign a keeper who had just kept 20 clean sheets in a season in the league below us then most people would be all over it.

He's not a bad keeper but we are going up a level and as he is out of contract we are in a position to get a better one. What's the issue?

If Vickers was out of contract, I'd release him and keep Wildsmith as number 2, but he isn't.

9 minutes ago, sage said:

He's not a bad keeper but we are going up a level and as he is out of contract we are in a position to get a better one. What's the issue?

If Vickers was out of contract, I'd release him and keep Wildsmith as number 2, but he isn't.

Could we get a better one without paying a fee, that's the issue for me. I'd rather spend whatever transfer funds we have available on outfield players if possible.

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Could we get a better one without paying a fee, that's the issue for me. I'd rather spend whatever transfer funds we have available on outfield players if possible.

I'd say there are 4 better keepers out there on a free. 

32 minutes ago, sage said:

If we can get better, on a free, and on similar wages, then yes.

Wildsmith has made a couple of big blunders but to be fair, he’s made some massive saves over the course of this season and last. 

IMO he’s saved us far more points than he’s cost us