Retained List

With CBT, Adam's really spoiled us with performances from day 1, add to that injuries and whilst we became more solid with a midfield 3 towards the end of the season when the situation became critical, we also removed the position I'm sure we signed him to fill (wide attacking midfielder). 

Back to the retained list, hopefully it wont be too long until its released, I'd imagine that the players already know. I believe I heard Warne say he was meeting with some players last week. Some are in Vegas for a bit now so if Warnes not had those meetings yet it'll be a while. That said it may be a while until Thommo sobers up and can have a proper meeting anyway.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I believe he's on a decent whack as he got a new contract in September 2020 after his emergence into the first team as a goalscoring number 10 (hattrick v Millwall, bids from Wolves etc) & this being at a time when Morris was still reasonably engaged in the club. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54192055

That said, I've been impressed with him at left wing back & given that is a position that fits into Warne's ideal formation, I would also be offering him a contract. Feels like he's finally found a position that suits his skillset & given his age, I'd expect him to improve over the coming years too. We would have to match his current wages as a minimum but given the increased revenue in the Championship, I think that would be feasible for someone as a first team starter.

This list says he's on £8K a week. How true? No idea...

https://salarysport.com/football/league-one/derby-county/

Considering letting Sibley or Thompson go is madness IMO. Sibley's versatile, and experienced in the Championship. Thompson played in the Championship and has improved significantly since then. Both young, home-grown talents, that we should be making the most of, not discarding.

For my money:

Loans end: Bird, TJJ

Release: Loach, Hourihane, Waghorn, Gayle

1 year deal/coaching role: Forsyth

Extend: Wildsmith, Smith (1 year), Sibley, Thompson, Barkhuizen, Collins (1 year)

Extend & Loan Out: Robinson, Fapetu, Weston

Sign: Adams

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

Considering letting Sibley or Thompson go is madness IMO. Sibley's versatile, and experienced in the Championship. Thompson played in the Championship and has improved significantly since then. Both young, home-grown talents, that we should be making the most of, not discarding.

For my money:

Loans end: Bird, TJJ

Release: Loach, Hourihane, Waghorn, Gayle

1 year deal/coaching role: Forsyth

Extend: Wildsmith, Smith (1 year), Sibley, Thompson, Barkhuizen, Collins (1 year)

Extend & Loan Out: Robinson, Fapetu, Weston

Sign: Adams

I see a lot of people releasing Loach but not sure I would. He's more of a coach at this point, he will be on peanuts. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I see a lot of people releasing Loach but not sure I would. He's more of a coach at this point, he will be on peanuts. 

I don't know enough about his coaching abilities, so I'm not against keeping him on in that capacity, but IMO he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, not even as 3rd choice. I'd rather just play one of the kids instead. 

10 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I don't know enough about his coaching abilities, so I'm not against keeping him on in that capacity, but IMO he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, not even as 3rd choice. I'd rather just play one of the kids instead. 

I'm pretty sure we would if it ever got down to it for any length of time. He already has his own coaching business, which he regularly posts about. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

I'm pretty sure we would if it ever got down to it for any length of time. He already has his own coaching business, which he regularly posts about. 

In that case, for me, it would be solely down to "Do we need a GK coach?", or "Do we need a better GK coach?". 

19 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

In that case, for me, it would be solely down to "Do we need a GK coach?", or "Do we need a better GK coach?". 

Just seems a weird way to try and, presumably save money. The 3rd keeper is realistically never playing, so having one who is experienced, good with younger players, good in the dressing room, trains well, is comfortable with his role, has coaching aspirations and is cheap surely seems a pretty smart thing to have. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Just seems a weird way to try and, presumably save money. The 3rd keeper is realistically never playing, so having one who is experienced, good with younger players, good in the dressing room, trains well, is comfortable with his role, has coaching aspirations and is cheap surely seems a pretty smart thing to have. 

Not necessarily to save money as such, but not spending it if we don't need to. If we have sufficient coaching in place already then it's superfluous. If we can play one of the kids in the rare instance where we'd need a third keeper, to me again it's superfluous. 

This isn't a "die in a ditch" preference though by any stretch, I won't break out my pitchfork if he's still here next season.

24 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Would it provide an answer to why Wildsmith's form was more up and down this season?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would it provide an answer to why Wildsmith's form was more up and down this season?

Honestly don't know. I'm nowhere near close to our coaching set up and the effectiveness of it, so happy to be guided by others on that point. 

I can't recall which interview, but I remember reading an insight into the goalkeeping department and it was said what a massive help Loach is.

Similar to Carson at Man City or Grant when at Man United, he's realistically not going to play but acts as the bridge between the playing staff and coaching staff.

He's working a lot with the academy goalkeepers, then providing that familiarity when they move up to train with the first team.

Then as 3rd choice, I'd rather have had him on the bench (with over 500 games experience) when Vickers was injured than have a totally untried teenage goalkeeper during our run in. Goalkeeper isn't the position to start learning the game in during a promotion push.

5 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don’t know that their presence on the vegas trip should be a direct indicator of their futures. Hourihane, Collins, Sibley, Thompson, Smith, Bird, Adams are all there and as it stands aren’t going to be Derby players next year. 

From what I can see Waghorn, Ward, Wildsmith, Forsyth, Loach, Fornah, John-Jules, Nyambe and Barkhuizen are missing from this group shot that was shared;

IMG_2637.jpeg

Top row L-R; Cashin, Bradley, Elder, Wilson, Collins, CBT, Smith, Nelson, NML.

Bottom row L-R; Washington, Vickers, Sibley, Hourihane, Bird, Thommo, Adams.

The ones missing are a bit older and mostly married I would say and probably were not allowed to go ! 
they are clearly staying at the Cosmopolitan hotel which is very nice - I was staying at the Aria next door and my room looked down on one of the two pools there and at the weekend those pools are loud ! - I returned late last night 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

The ones missing are a bit older and mostly married I would say and probably were not allowed to go ! 
they are clearly staying at the Cosmopolitan hotel which is very nice - I was staying at the Aria next door and my room looked down on one of the two pools there and at the weekend those pools are loud ! - I returned late last night 

Check This Out Tom Hanks GIF

I watched a podcast interview with Ed Dawes on earlier & he seemed to think Collins has a year left on his deal & the way Collins spoke on the EFL podcast it seems like he will be here next year....maybe he is 1 of the players who triggered a contract extention based off appearances or promotion.

3 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I watched a podcast interview with Ed Dawes on earlier & he seemed to think Collins has a year left on his deal & the way Collins spoke on the EFL podcast it seems like he will be here next year....maybe he is 1 of the players who triggered a contract extention based off appearances or promotion.

Fingers crossed this is the case.