Burton Albihappyiftheygodown

Day

Controversial I know, but hear me out up there football gods, I've been an extremely good boy this year.

All we need is for Cheltenham to beat Peterborough and Stevenage.

Fleetwood to beat Burton.

Job done. 

I don't like the smell of the town.

I don't like their online fanbase who despise Derby despite their match attending fanbase being largely made up of Derby fans that couldn't get an away ticket that weekend.

I don't like that love in, especially when we have had to compete with them in the same division over multiple seasons, our fans are effectively helping fund opposition with ticket sales.

I don't like the thought process that because Im a Derby fan I should automatically like, wish their club well or show interest in them. I have zero connection to the town, we have other clubs in Derbyshire that we could help fund that are much lower in the football pyramid.

I don't like their badge or kits, they look more befitting of a Sunday league side than a professional Football League outfit.

I don't like BBC Radio Derby having to cover a Staffordshire team, the coverage should be shared over with Stoke.

2 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Not for me. We don't want Posh resting players against Bolton.

We don't need to rely on anyone but ourselves.

If we can't get at least a point against bottom of the table and done and dusted Carlisle, with 186 games for Derby Paul Simpson in charge, we deserve the play offs. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

We don't need to rely on anyone but ourselves.

If we can't get at least a point against bottom of the table and done and dusted Carlisle, with 186 games for Derby Paul Simpson in charge, we deserve the play offs. 

Agree with this but

There’s been a few threads over the past few years and whether it’s poking fun I know you’ve called them tinpot. Thing is for many, until recently they were like a 2nd team to many Rams fans south of Derby. Why? Because they were non league and for many a year their rivals were Gresley Rovers until Tamworth tried stepping up.

Anyhow, that’s the background for why when Derby were away or not playing, their numbers would increase with genuine Derby fans, with nothing better to do . What changed was them gaining league status, a couple of quick promotions and us meandering around the 2nd tier too long; seriously Burton shouldn’t be our rivals, they’ve punched above their weight and they had a few youngsters latch on, rather than go to the bigger midlands clubs like us, Villa, Leicester even Stoke or the Gumps. So much so the kids have largely tried to get under our skins, claim they’re better than us and generally big themselves up as equal rivals, if not better in their eyes.

For that last reason and my kids had to yawn through their jibes at schools in Burton, I’m with you all the way @David 👍😂

(though I think they might scrape up)

9 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Agree with this but

There’s been a few threads over the past few years and whether it’s poking fun I know you’ve called them tinpot. Thing is for many, until recently they were like a 2nd team to many Rams fans south of Derby. Why? Because they were non league and for many a year their rivals were Gresley Rovers until Tamworth tried stepping up.

Anyhow, that’s the background for why when Derby were away or not playing, their numbers would increase with genuine Derby fans, with nothing better to do . What changed was them gaining league status, a couple of quick promotions and us meandering around the 2nd tier too long; seriously Burton shouldn’t be our rivals, they’ve punched above their weight and they had a few youngsters latch on, rather than go to the bigger midlands clubs like us, Villa, Leicester even Stoke or the Gumps. So much so the kids have largely tried to get under our skins, claim they’re better than us and generally big themselves up as equal rivals, if not better in their eyes.

For that last reason and my kids had to yawn through their jibes at schools in Burton, I’m with you all the way @David 👍😂

(though I think they might scrape up)

Always the danger of having a 2nd team in the same football pyramid. I have a nephew that's a Manchester United and Grimsby Town fan, I ask him, if you meet in the cup, who's your team, says it's a win/win situation.

Come on now, that to me is worse than those half and half scarves.

As soon as Burton were promoted into the same league as us, it was time to part ways, there are 6 points to play for and we want all 6. I don't get it, but each to their own, if that makes them happy fair play.

Myself? I hope they go down and we have that distance between the 2 clubs again which if you look at the status of both clubs, that league between us should be.

1 hour ago, David said:

I don't like BBC Radio Derby having to cover a Staffordshire team, the coverage should be shared over with Stoke.

I don't know if they still play the jingle they created for that: "In Derbyshire and East Staffordshire....BBC Radio Derby...sport."

Remember when Central Goals Extra used to cover Oxford and (I think) Luton?

Love them to go down. They look like and act like an irritating wasp on the side of a pint glass whenever August comes around.  In a couple of years they'll be back begging Derby for a pre season friendly in the Bass trophy to help fund the tea and biscuits for the season.  They've absolutely s*** the bed on overspend with the likes of Stockton and about 30 loans to dig them out the crap on a non league attendance .  Reality to hit home shortly, stay tuned. 

I have a feeling of total indifference towards them - not bothered if they go down or not, though if it meant Cheltenham (and by that I mean Curtis) staying up then that would be spiffing.

Listening to the current Albion manager in post-match interviews on Radio Derby is cringe-worthy - so much up his own backside.

13 hours ago, David said:

I don't like the smell of the town.

I don't like their online fanbase who despise Derby despite their match attending fanbase being largely made up of Derby fans that couldn't get an away ticket that weekend.

I don't like that love in, especially when we have had to compete with them in the same division over multiple seasons, our fans are effectively helping fund opposition with ticket sales.

I don't like the thought process that because Im a Derby fan I should automatically like, wish their club well or show interest in them. I have zero connection to the town, we have other clubs in Derbyshire that we could help fund that are much lower in the football pyramid.

I don't like their badge or kits, they look more befitting of a Sunday league side than a professional Football League outfit.

Totally with you on this mate , can’t stand em

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

I don't think they showed Luton, but they certainly showed Joey Beauchamp's Oxford & Craig Maskell's Swindon!

Ah Swindon yes. I think I might be mixing up Luton's Nick Owen on Midlands Today with football highlights!

Edited by ariotofmyown

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't mind Burton. They're a small outfit and they have punched above their weight which is good to see. Unfortunately it looks like back down to league 2 for them. Hopefully they'll have a go and get out the division. 

I am with you on this one LR,Derby are going up and Burton are staying up,why so much vitriol for Burton ?