Sonny Bradley

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That celebration irks me. You had a good game today Sonny and the fans were right behind you. Doesn’t change the fact you got yourself stupidly sent of 3 games ago, potentially jeopardising our promotion push. Fans had every right to be annoyed.

So he’s the only player in Derby’s recent history to have got himself stupidly sent off? He let the side down at Northampton with his reaction but let’s not try to pretend he’s the first (or will be the last to do such a thing). 

Won’t make any bones about not being his biggest fan. I think even at his best this season he’s merely been “fine”, which for what we are presumably paying him and the fanfare that surrounded his arrival, has been a disappointment to say the least. He’s made several errors and for a 6ft5 monster I don’t think I can remember a centre back so tentative. Would do himself some favours by attacking the ball and leaving the wrestling out of it.

I questioned the reasoning for his inclusion yesterday given his recent performances and what he did at Northampton, but it seems Warne may have known about Orient’s inability to defend crosses and it really worked. Hats off on that. He was untested defensively, although did give away a couple of poor free kicks first half. The announced man of the match seemed a bit of a stretch, there were 3 or 4 players more deserving. 

11 hours ago, Cookie said:

There are a lot of fickle of fans amongst our fan group. Once they get a scape goat in there sights that’s it. 

I'm not sure that's true at all, mate.

Having said that, I do think we'd be up by now if it wasn't for Steve Cherry's poor goalkeeping.

7 hours ago, ram59 said:

I think too many people are reading too much into Warne's personal thoughts on the likes of Bradley and CBT.

I think that their inclusion and exclusion from the team today is down to how he felt that the team would perform best as a whole. I said before the game that we would go back to 3 CBs, because Wilson and Sibley are more comfortable playing with that extra CB to cover them. Then you add the extra legs of Thommo in midfield to make the midfield stronger, you have to lose a wide player.

But it does make the signing of CBT pointless if you want to play three centre backs.

6 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But it does make the signing of CBT pointless if you want to play three centre backs.

Why? NML although not playing at his best as a second striker (I'm not sure that playing there is the main reason) is doing ok and CBT is a very good straight swap. Barks is currently getting the nod as the substitute replacement, but he's on a very good run of form compared with earlier in the season. CBT when on song I believe is better than Barks. NML won't be playing for even, or even a 46 game season. I believe that CBT may actually thrive on being played more centrally, where with his power and pace will be able to go either side and have more room.

34 minutes ago, Srg said:

Won’t make any bones about not being his biggest fan. I think even at his best this season he’s merely been “fine”, which for what we are presumably paying him and the fanfare that surrounded his arrival, has been a disappointment to say the least. He’s made several errors and for a 6ft5 monster I don’t think I can remember a centre back so tentative. Would do himself some favours by attacking the ball and leaving the wrestling out of it.

I questioned the reasoning for his inclusion yesterday given his recent performances and what he did at Northampton, but it seems Warne may have known about Orient’s inability to defend crosses and it really worked. Hats off on that. He was untested defensively, although did give away a couple of poor free kicks first half. The announced man of the match seemed a bit of a stretch, there were 3 or 4 players more deserving. 

He a actually made a couple of excellent tackles,I was impressed with him yesterday 

3 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Why? NML although not playing at his best as a second striker (I'm not sure that playing there is the main reason) is doing ok and CBT is a very good straight swap. Barks is currently getting the nod as the substitute replacement, but he's on a very good run of form compared with earlier in the season. CBT when on song I believe is better than Barks. NML won't be playing for even, or even a 46 game season. I believe that CBT may actually thrive on being played more centrally, where with his power and pace will be able to go either side and have more room.

And you could play with 2 Nr 10’s in a 3-4-3 formation.  CBT plus NML with a target man up top and they make runs beyond.

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

What celebration?

Just watched his goals again and for the first he runs off and celebrates wildly with the other players.  The 2nd he briefly stands with his arms out accepting the applause and then celebrates with other players and then claps the fans...

For the second goal he shrugs his shoulders looking into the south stand. Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but it looked like a bit of a “you’re not criticising me now are you”.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

So he’s the only player in Derby’s recent history to have got himself stupidly sent off? He let the side down at Northampton with his reaction but let’s not try to pretend he’s the first (or will be the last to do such a thing). 

Of course not, but that doesn’t mean that fans aren’t allowed to be annoyed at him for it. Every player who does something like that should accept it - Tom Lawrence did many times, for example.

He should’ve apologised, and moved on today. The fans were behind the whole game, there was no need to give any reaction to the south stand. Quite frankly, for the vast majority of this season, Sonny Bradley has been awful - making numerous mistakes and displaying a lack of leadership. One game yesterday doesn’t change that. He doesn’t seem willing to own up to his mistakes.

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That celebration irks me. You had a good game today Sonny and the fans were right behind you. Doesn’t change the fact you got yourself stupidly sent of 3 games ago, potentially jeopardising our promotion push. Fans had every right to be annoyed.

That celebration was...dare I say was...that's what I can do! 

Not everyone's cup o tea but a job done 👍

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Of course not, but that doesn’t mean that fans aren’t allowed to be annoyed at him for it. Every player who does something like that should accept it - Tom Lawrence did many times, for example.

He should’ve apologised, and moved on today. The fans were behind the whole game, there was no need to give any reaction to the south stand. Quite frankly, for the vast majority of this season, Sonny Bradley has been awful - making numerous mistakes and displaying a lack of leadership. One game yesterday doesn’t change that. He doesn’t seem willing to own up to his mistakes.

Personally, I think he was awful and error prone in his early games but since he has forced his way back into the squad, has been OK and certainly not awful. Since his return he hasn't made numerous mistakes (probably no more than most other players) and only showed a lack of leadership/maturity at the Northampton game. I don't know how you've come to the conclusion that he's not willing to own up to his mistakes. It could be argued that, whilst not coming out and admitting his mistakes in public (which players ever do?) I'd say that the way he has buckled down earned his place back in the squad is evidence that he at least accepts his early failings.

I can't help but feel that he has become the new scapegoat.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

For the second goal he shrugs his shoulders looking into the south stand. Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but it looked like a bit of a “you’re not criticising me now are you”.

It did look a bit like that, but after he got mobbed, he then did clap the fans. 

Massive credit for the goals yesterday, exactly what we needed from the centre halves (chipping in with goals from set pieces).

Yesterday he won one tackle, one block, and one headed clearance.

Compared to Cash who won 4 out of 6 tackles, made one block and 6 clearances (3 by headers) and Nelson who who 2 of 2 tackles, and made 3 clearances (one by heading) then it's clear his defensive game was lacking. Arguably he was carried by his colleagues, and people have said in the past.

That being said, there wasn't really that much defending to do. He wasn't beaten all game, and maybe he'd have more defensive contributions if we'd played a better side. Most importantly, he seems to have cut out his mistakes, and managed to stay on the pitch for 90 minutes without losing his head. So fair play to him.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Personally, I think he was awful and error prone in his early games but since he has forced his way back into the squad, has been OK and certainly not awful. Since his return he hasn't made numerous mistakes (probably no more than most other players) and only showed a lack of leadership/maturity at the Northampton game. I don't know how you've come to the conclusion that he's not willing to own up to his mistakes. It could be argued that, whilst not coming out and admitting his mistakes in public (which players ever do?) I'd say that the way he has buckled down earned his place back in the squad is evidence that he at least accepts his early failings.

I can't help but feel that he has become the new scapegoat.

No mate, I still blame Jamie Paterson for this mess of being in league 1

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Well, apart from the ones who booed his name when it was announced before kick-off.....

I agree that it would have been wise for him to apologise for that sending-off, but given a majority of fans didn't want him to be in the first XI anyway, I'm not sure why there was so much anger about him making himself unavailable for selection? 

6 hours ago, Chester40 said:

What celebration?

Just watched his goals again and for the first he runs off and celebrates wildly with the other players.  The 2nd he briefly stands with his arms out accepting the applause and then celebrates with other players and then claps the fans...

The second celebration definitely involved a few shrugs and was a bit of a dig back at fans. Then a bit of a clap at the end.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

I wonder if in Warnes mind he wants to play 2 CM but realises we struggle with 2 at the moment and when he has 2 that can get about like Ebou it frees up that extra forward role? 

Weird dynamics for the second goal celebration. The team had obviously been coached to not celebrate much this game and this plays out with the minimal bounce routine. 

I noticed with the goal celebration the players didn't immediately go over, so it was more of a subdued 'job done' feeling. His shrugging to the crowd, if we want to be kind with him, could have also been in that vein.

It'd be a purposeful reading into it, to think it was a derogatory, triumphant statement with the shrugging. Also, doubt he's that daft.