Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

On 08/04/2024 at 14:26, Ram-Alf said:

Have we had this Referee before?

Wycombe Wanderers v Derby County (19:45)
ALEX CHILOWICZ
Declan O'Shea and Alistair Nelson
Fourth Official : Samuel Fudge

A Yank in the ranks of officialdom. Hmmm. 
Matt Donohue reffed East Anglia Derby on Sat I thought he was outstanding, one of best games I’ve seen a ref have this season. I’ll look out for him! This fella, like many, I’ve never heard of. Hope he can grow a pair for Wicked Wanderers tactics. 

26 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Matt Donohue reffed East Anglia Derby on Sat I thought he was outstanding, one of best games I’ve seen a ref have this season. I’ll look out for him! This fella, like many, I’ve never heard of. Hope he can grow a pair for Wicked Wanderers tactics. 

Hope he follows the pattern

IMG_0235.png

2 hours ago, SKRam said:

qz52v22ebgwa1.jpg

No doubt this is a big game, not just for us but the chasing pack too.  In particular if we lose, it’ll give them a bit of hope.

Something I’ve been thinking about since Portsmouth is the GK position.  I wonder if PW may switch to Vickers for the last 4 games.  There were some moments with Wildsmith in the last game that I think will have caused some debate at Moor Farm, and none of them related to the goals.

Firstly, the handball.  Not that specifically but being there in the first place.  My initial reaction when I saw him coming out was that he’d give a penalty away as it was almost identical to the Oxford & Charlton games.  Then the chance they hit over the bar.  Wildsmith didn’t judge the flight of the ball in the conditions, didn’t claim the cross and it led to a chance.  And finally, right at the end, he caught the ball and Cashin went down under a challenge, clearly wanting to slow it down.  Wildsmith released the ball quickly, something he rarely if ever does, and losing possession could have cost us.  Cashin wasn’t very happy.

I think it’ll come down to who Warne trusts the most for the run in.  Who does he have more confidence in to keep their head?  It’s a big call but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change between the sticks.

23 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

No doubt this is a big game, not just for us but the chasing pack too.  In particular if we lose, it’ll give them a bit of hope.

Something I’ve been thinking about since Portsmouth is the GK position.  I wonder if PW may switch to Vickers for the last 4 games.  There were some moments with Wildsmith in the last game that I think will have caused some debate at Moor Farm, and none of them related to the goals.

Firstly, the handball.  Not that specifically but being there in the first place.  My initial reaction when I saw him coming out was that he’d give a penalty away as it was almost identical to the Oxford & Charlton games.  Then the chance they hit over the bar.  Wildsmith didn’t judge the flight of the ball in the conditions, didn’t claim the cross and it led to a chance.  And finally, right at the end, he caught the ball and Cashin went down under a challenge, clearly wanting to slow it down.  Wildsmith released the ball quickly, something he rarely if ever does, and losing possession could have cost us.  Cashin wasn’t very happy.

I think it’ll come down to who Warne trusts the most for the run in.  Who does he have more confidence in to keep their head?  It’s a big call but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change between the sticks.

I find him similar to Jordan Pickford, where he's generally really good in all areas, integral to the team's success... and then he will throw in a really terrible performance and/or make a particularly spectacular error of judgement. 

I know that's an issue for all keepers but both his highs n lows are more than eg Vickers. It makes it harder to drop him as his level doesn't ebb and flow it just occasionally drops off a cliff and promptly returns to his normal high standards. 

However, recently I have felt his kicking in particular has been poor. He has also looked a bit shaky from crosses. So I'd be tempted if that's been similar in training,  but it would be a big call.

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I find him similar to Jordan Pickford, where he's generally really good in all areas, integral to the team's success... and then he will throw in a really terrible performance and/or make a particularly spectacular error of judgement. 

I know that's an issue for all keepers but both his highs n lows are more than eg Vickers. It makes it harder to drop him as his level doesn't ebb and flow it just occasionally drops off a cliff and promptly returns to his normal high standards. 

However, recently I have felt his kicking in particular has been poor. He has also looked a bit shaky from crosses. So I'd be tempted if that's been similar in training,  but it would be a big call.

I think he’s in the loopy keeper category. I used to love the way he came out of his goal to catch crosses but now he’s more likely to punch them.

We have his many mysterious injuries that leave him on the floor before a miraculous recovery.

And finally the crazy moments.

I’m not sure, however, that Vickers is better. I think from a technical standpoint Wildsmith definitely has the edge. Let’s just hope he can hold it together mentally between now and the end of the season.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Wildsmith has his own Bermuda Triangle about 16 yards out on the left hand edge of the box. You could put a hankie over the 2 penalties and the handball.

Posted (edited)

And so matchday is upon us and despite believing we'll win this game, nagging doubts persist. Hard to know which Wycombe we'll face; will they be at their dogged and determined best, or will they be suffering from a Wembley hangover? Equally, the Rams haven't seemed to prosper coming off a break in recent seasons, or perhaps I'm just imagining that. I do think if we are switched on tonight and with the stakes so high you'd hope we would be, then we ought to have too much for them. 

So how do we see the game playing out? I don't see Wycombe flying out of the gates and off the back of a quick turnaround, there might be some heavy legs out there tonight. Their fans will certainly be up for it and I'd expect a decent showing from them even after their Wembley heartbreak and despite it being a mid-week game. They still see Derby as the devil incarnate and have somehow painted their owner's actions as charitable - yes really! - and inevitably, the recent history will almost certainly ensure a feisty game.

No doubt we'll hear more as the day progresses, but it seems likely Ward will be given more time having picked up a knock, but as @sage has pointed out, we might have Max and Barks back in the fold tonight which would give us plenty of options off the bench. With Joe's niggle likely to keep him out, I'd expect us to line up with CBT and Nate on the flanks and I'd hope that the latter will show up well for a return to his favoured slot. For me, the back 4 pick themselves at the moment, with Nyambe out for the season and Bradley still serving a ban and I'd be worried were we not to start Ebou and Korey in CM. Upfront I'd like to see Washington playing off Collo, given our fairly limited options right now. I think he has a slight pace edge over Waggy, who to my eye, still looks a way off the form we saw from him early season.

I did warn folk about the likely weather for Pompey in the last match thread, but fortunately tonight looks like being a positively balmy 12C and dry, so for the travelling Rams faithful, a rather more pleasant night, results and performance notwithstanding.

For my finger in the air guess, I'm going with a 2-0 win for the Rams, with Nate and Collo on the scoresheet.

Safe journey to all.

COYR

Edited by Comrade 86

People keep referring to the period since the Portsmouth game as a "break", but it's only 1 day more than a normal Saturday to Saturday period. The team shouldn't experience any negative effects from this, but should benefit from not having played at the weekend.

A guy I know who is a Wycombe fan has been saying all season that they have changed/been trying to change their style of play, which is a reason why they aren't been as successful as previous seasons.

I can't remember much about the home game earlier in the season, but don't think tonight's game will be the typical Wycombe we've seen in previous seasons, especially at their place. This will hopefully help us, as we didn't do well against them. However, we are more equipped to deal with that sort of threat now though.

2 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I was wondering the same thing . It’s not just the mistakes . Wildsmith keeps having on-field rows with his centre half’s . This can’t be helping team spirit . Since the rumours of him leaving , some fans are questioning his commitment. 

Safe journey to those going tonight.

I'm veering between the completely nervous and phlegmatic.

Nervous that we've had some horror shows on the road against mid table mediocrity.

Phlegmatic, in that we've got 2 games against teams that are dreaming of reaching the dizzy heights of mid table mediocrity....plus Orient (which in my brain has already been filed in the just turn up and win category) plus tonight.

Fundamentally, if you'd offered me these 4 games left with promotion still in our hands at the start of the season, I'd have taken it.

Barnsley have gone, win the next two and I think the wind exits Bolton and Posh's sails.

Don't hate Wycombe but hate their chairman for what he did during our admin. Give him plenty.

COYR

I know it will be superseded by the next three games if we win, but I feel like this is the biggest game since Frank said 'II know what would be hysterical, let's leave out the guy who scored two goals coming off the bench in the last game'

I'm coming up for Saturday's game, so please win, lads, and set it up nicely.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

People keep referring to the period since the Portsmouth game as a "break", but it's only 1 day more than a normal Saturday to Saturday period. The team shouldn't experience any negative effects from this, but should benefit from not having played at the weekend.

It genuinly feels like ages to me but you're right. 

In fact it falls nicely for us, as we've had 1 week and a day to prepare for the game (so not too different to any normal week like you say) and they've had Monday and Tuesday.

I've just cursed it I think

46 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I know it will be superseded by the next three games if we win, but I feel like this is the biggest game since Frank said 'II know what would be hysterical, let's leave out the guy who scored two goals coming off the bench in the last game'

I'm coming up for Saturday's game, so please win, lads, and set it up nicely.

Every game is a 'cup final' now, irrespective of how clichéd that sounds, at least until the maths decrees we're safe, or not. Tonight does feel like a critical game though, as on form and style of play, Wycombe may present more of a challenge than say Carlisle or Cambridge. Win tonight and it heaps the pressure back on Bolton. For all my moaning though, I'm loving the jeopardy element. To my way of thinking, this is what being a supporter is all about.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crewton said:

From the Christmas period, pretty much to end of season, there aren't too many week long breaks though, are there, save for international duties. You say it's not significant, but would you rather 3 games over 7 days or one. There's arguments for both options IMO and I don't see folk discussing it as being something worth addressing.

I'm not sure about others, but I've alluded to us having not really prospered immediately after international breaks, when it's looked to all intents that with injuries and congested schedules, it should have benefitted us. Richie Barker made the same point this week, that in some ways, we could have done without the break in momentum, having played so well against Portsmouth. Whether is a benefit or a drawback, nobody can say for sure, at least not until 10.00pm tonight.

Edited by Comrade 86