Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

7 hours ago, ap04 said:

In the game I saw we scored 2 goals and created nothing else of note in 90 minutes.

Portsmouth on top of their 2 goals missed an open goal, had a 1v1 saved by Wildsmith's legs and the penalty incident at the end. Calling the above an even game and a fair draw is a bit of a stretch.

IMG_0717.png

7 hours ago, ap04 said:

In the game I saw we scored 2 goals and created nothing else of note in 90 minutes.

Portsmouth on top of their 2 goals missed an open goal, had a 1v1 saved by Wildsmith's legs and the penalty incident at the end. Calling the above an even game and a fair draw is a bit of a stretch.

Can I suggest you try something like basketball instead. Might be a bit easier for you to follow, where the tactics aren’t too taxing - just run from one end to the other, shoot, turn round and defend the other team’s attack. 

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think an enterprising student should do some research on that theory, because it's often claimed but never proven.

Surely there must be a graduate somewhere looking for a fairly meaningless study for their PHD 😏

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

For all the outrage, without proper surgery to either team (and even then) this is most likely to be correct. 

Ipswich have done well, but there is a drastic difference between what we saw from them and ourselves (and Portsmouth). Fortunately, I feel that the management and club are very much aware that is the case and will do what is required to be as competitive as possible. 

Sheffield Wednesday last season were a better team than both of us, and they weren’t great, they’re in a relegation battle. Plymouth, also, in a relegation battle. We have to respect what we are walking into, should we get promoted. 

It’s not so much the sentiment of the posting but more the bluntness and the timing. FFS, we were all pretty chuffed at battling for a well earned point away against the table sitting top of the table (I think most of us were proud of the lads last night) then someone has to post a message like that.

If the post had been made before the game, and been a little more subtle (for example, “I worry about how these two teams will survive in the Championship without some major surgery ….blah blah blah”) I don’t think it would have had quite the reaction as the actual post did.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Well he was League 1 player of the year at Watford and again with us when we decided playing him on the wing really wasn't the best idea. He was 3 seconds ahead of any forward in this division ability wise when played correctly.  

He had 3 good seasons in 12. 3 seasons when everything he hit went in.

We got our money back but wasn't a good signing. Like Ince his figures look better than the actual experience 

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

A great game and a really good result.

Maybe we should all not reply to Bris and definitely not that ap thing. 

There are going to be lots of fans returning from the game, full of excitement or pride or disappointment, wondering why this matchday thread is not about the game. 

Too bloody right! Still buzzing from last night. What a disappointing read this thread has been.

4 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

So posters who have given us no chance of going up are now changing to "we'll be sh*t next season in the championship"

I guess if you enjoy being a miserable tw*t, you won't let anything get in the way, not even a modest success.

I think Bris has been very consistent this season that we will go up. He was saying it around November iirc.

28 minutes ago, sage said:

He had 3 good seasons in 12. 3 seasons when everything he hit went in.

We got our money back but wasn't a good signing. Like Ince his figures look better than the actual experience 

Don't forget that in his first season, he was played everywhere but his best position by 3 different managers. In his second and final season under Rowett, he played as second striker, scored 21 goals in the Championship, won the Championship Golden Boot and 3 club PoS awards and then moved to Burnley in the PL for a decent profit.

I'm not sure what else you expected from him.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Team and fans did us proud last night. A great advertisement for League One. 

Can't underestimate the conditions they played in, either. As well as the rain the wind was swirling around, making judgement of bounce and pace so difficult. 

We were ten rows back and still wet through. 

The touchlines were borderline unplayable and I did fear it might be called off at times during the first half. Luckily the rain eased off enough to continue. 

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Don't forget that in his first season, he was played everywhere but his best position by 3 different managers. In his second and final season under Rowett, he played as second striker, scored 21 goals in the Championship, won the Championship Golden Boot and 3 club PoS awards and then moved to Burnley in the PL for a decent profit.

I'm not sure what else you expected from him.

I'm referring to his career as a whole.

He is a player, who at best, if you tailor your system to suit him, he will score 20 goals at championship level.

Is that good for the team though?

I think the reason why @Bris Vegas post has rubbed people up the wrong way is 2 fold. 
1) the timing of it

2) deep down people know it’s accurate

We have done well to get ourselves into this position with 4 left to play despite the injuries. The recent run we went on to completely turn it around and go from play offs to automatic hopefuls was really impressive. 

BUT our performances against the better sides this season will see us struggle in the championship. The gulf between this league and the one above is huge. Warne comfortably got Rotherham up 3 times to then be relegated 3 times. We need probably 12 new signings to even compete up there and none of us truly know where we stand financially and what our budget will allow. 

I don’t think Bris is wumming I just think his opinions came at a time people wanted to celebrate. It’s acceptable to say this would be a relegation scrap next year in a higher division. 

I like Warne but he’s done nothing to show he can be successful in the division above despite going up with the best team in league 1. We’ve not even got that luxury!! 

Anyway up the rams! A nervy last 4 but put ourselves into a great position. I hope it’s wrapped up before Carlisle so we can have a party atmosphere. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm referring to his career as a whole.

He is a player, who at best, if you tailor your system to suit him, he will score 20 goals at championship level.

Is that good for the team though?

With the right partner, it was good enough to get us into an automatic promotion spot, and good enough for us to more than get our money back.

I really think you're ploughing a lone furrow on this one.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think the reason why @Bris Vegas post has rubbed people up the wrong way is 2 fold. 
1) the timing of it

We have done well to get ourselves into this position with 4 left to play despite the injuries. The recent run we went on to completely turn it around and go from play offs to automatic hopefuls was really impressive. 

BUT our performances against the better sides this season will see us struggle in the championship. The gulf between this league and the one above is huge. Warne comfortably got Rotherham up 3 times to then be relegated 3 times. We need probably 12 new signings to even compete up there and none of us truly know where we stand financially and what our budget will allow. 

I don’t think Bris is wumming I just think his opinions came at a time people wanted to celebrate. It’s acceptable to say this would be a relegation scrap next year in a higher division. 

I like Warne but he’s done nothing to show he can be successful in the division above despite going up with the best team in league 1. We’ve not even got that luxury!! 

Anyway up the rams! A nervy last 4 but put ourselves into a great position. I hope it’s wrapped up before Carlisle so we can have a party atmosphere. 

We have half a squad out of contract. Whether we go up or not, the team will be vastly, vastly different. The whole debate that this team will struggle is completely pointless. That's why I'm annoyed by it. Even Ipswich have brought in double figures this season, and that's after having an expensive, for League One standards, squad before they went up. 

Concentrate on going up, worry about the squad for next year when the hoards of inevitable transfers start happening later.

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

1) the timing of it

Less than 2 years after near annihilation, I'm not sure what Bris expects. If they can't just enjoy this for what it is, then I feel sorry for them.