Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

41 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Warne's signings have taken some criticism...

But.... Bradley, Niambe,  Wilson, re-signing Bird, Elder, Nelson,  Adams....  not so shabby...

Again, the point has never been that they're bad players, it's that at best they provide competition for players Warne didn't bring in and have not yet proven themselves any better that those who were here, despite the outlay on wages.

Including Bird in the list of his signings yet excluding Fornah? Hmmm, ok?

4 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Genuine question - what would Warne have to be doing for you to consider him doing a good job?

Finding a way to win without a fit CF isn't a good job?

Probably to come on as sub score a hat trick and run over to rammie and the south stand naked. As one other poster pointed out I’ll take half the bottle of deluxe brain bleach and join him 

Edited by Barney1991

23 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

The best footballing teams aren’t in the top two. Bolton and Peterborough. Ones fallen off a cliff and the other is currently in a bad run of form. The team on promotion needs tweaks at the top end. The back line is championship ready. 

thats optimistic

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

It’s already in our own hands.

Happy to be corrected here, but I have it as:

We win all our remaining games, we finish on 105pts

If Bolton win all their remaining games... except the one in which they lose to us... they end up with 105pts.
If they overturn our current +4 GD advantage, they end up above us.

Therefore, Bolton can outdo us, regardless of how we do... which equates to it being not in our own hands just yet.

🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, SKRam said:

Best GD in the division. We are sooooooo lucky.

I will try and clarify it for you. We currently are
4th luckiest in the league on this (xG vs actual)
5th luckest in the league on this (same metric)
5th or 6th luckiest in the league on xG points vs actual (-7 excluding today, same source)

By my database
Chances to goals scored (3.09, avg 3.72) is as lucky as it gets after 33 games
Chances to goals conceded (4.17) is luckier than 72% of teams
The two combined (1.08) is luckier than 86% of teams - for reference last season was quite unlucky and this was only 0.38 against
Finally on results we are 8 points better off, this is luckier than 88% of teams

10 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Again, the point has never been that they're bad players, it's that at best they provide competition for players Warne didn't bring in and have not yet proven themselves any better that those who were here, despite the outlay on wages.

Including Bird in the list of his signings yet excluding Fornah? Hmmm, ok?

They all played today and we are 2nd. My point is that some people have totally dismissed his ability to sign decent players. 

He also made the decision to take Bird back...and a lot disagreed.

Your point is that Fornah didn't play. Ok..  that's not mine.

I keep watching the goal, and I don't understand how it happens. My dulled brain can't comprehend the few seconds between it leaving Mendez-Laing's boot and it nestling into the back of the net. 

Anyway...

That was a slog, wasn't it? I wasn't expecting too much out of this game given a) it's Steve Evans and b) our record against teams that make it a scrap - but I came out impressed.

This was a strong test of our character, especially with the news of the extent of Collins' injury and the predicament that leaves us in. But one we passed.

Sonny Bradley looks like the player we thought we were going to get and had an excellent game, with a crucial goal-line clearance to boot. Other than that chance, and the excellent reflex save from Wildsmith, we rarely looked in any danger. Adams continues to gloriously mop everything up - but got caught on the ball a couple of times - and everything else was sent packing by an excellent back three. 

The front few weren't great though - at times you could have thrown a blanket over Wilson, NML, and Barkhuizen, with Bird too far away. Nyambe isn't a wing-back either - I love him, but he's a bit too defensively-minded for the role. Elder continues to improve but could have done with a bit more pace out there.

It all improved as soon as Warne made the changes, and I think it was well-timed. We looked instantly better with Wilson out in the WB role, and Smith in there meant Bird got the freedom he needed. Then getting Mendez-Laing out wide instantly improved things too.

I understand what Warne is doing. and that's when I don't entirely mind if he does get it wrong.

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

don't know i just looked at their last 7 matches as that was all that was on the first page. 

Either way you look at it, unbeaten in 3 games or 5 wins out of 10, it still shows how poor the league is 

Right. So now that your original argument, that their away form isn’t so good, has been disproved and doesn’t fit your agenda you’re changing tact to say their form is only good because of how poor the league is? Keep going and you might end up with something that convinces a few people that, whilst not the greatest game of football, everyone involved today doesn’t deserve a bit of credit.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Right. So now that your original argument, that their away form isn’t so good, has been disproved and doesn’t fit your agenda you’re changing tact to say their form is only good because of how poor the league is? Keep going and you might end up with something that convinces a few people that, whilst not the greatest game of football, everyone involved today doesn’t deserve a bit of credit.

I think we just need to stop giving this the oxygen to breathe tonight.

People are entitled to opinions and arguments but at this point it's just getting a bit daft.

12 minutes ago, ap04 said:

I will try and clarify it for you. We currently are
4th luckiest in the league on this (xG vs actual)
5th luckest in the league on this (same metric)
5th or 6th luckiest in the league on xG points vs actual (-7 excluding today, same source)

By my database
Chances to goals scored (3.09, avg 3.72) is as lucky as it gets after 33 games
Chances to goals conceded (4.17) is luckier than 72% of teams
The two combined (1.08) is luckier than 86% of teams - for reference last season was quite unlucky and this was only 0.38 against
Finally on results we are 8 points better off, this is luckier than 88% of teams

I cannot imagine what Brian Clough would have said about this nonsense

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

If Bolton win all their remaining games... except the one in which they lose to us... they end up with 105pts.

Therefore, Bolton can outdo us, regardless of how we do... which equates to it being not in our own hands just yet.

🤷‍♂️

If we win all our games that includes us beating Portsmouth, and if Bolton win all their games (except against us) that would also include them beating Portsmouth, so under the scenario you’ve described Bolton would finish top and we would finish second ahead of Portsmouth.

21 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

🤷‍♂️

It’s in our hands to make sure our goal difference is better than theirs likewise 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

getting the most out of the players and play football in a way we can all be proud of. 

Mendez-Laing has had the most productive League season of his career. 8g 14a beats his 16/17 season best of 8g 12a. Collins was on course for his best goalscoring season since 19/20. Warne took an unfancied McGoldrick and gave him his best ever season.

The team have the meanest defence, and are joint 2nd on goals scored - a team that has largely been assembled on a shoestring, closely monitored budget.

Yes, the football has rarely been sparkling, but who in this division is? Peterborough looked far and away the best team to come to Pride Park this season, and we now have a 10 point gap on them.

We are second to a team in Portsmouth, who - much like Ipswich and Plymouth last season - have been in this league a while and been building to it.

I've been critical of Warne this season, and had lost faith at one point. I'm glad to have been wrong.