Paul Warne

Day

2 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Well done Paul Warne and everyone at Derby County Football Club.

Boro always been a bogey team for the Rams and another result that goes against the grain.

Work hard together and believe in ourselves and we will carry on knocking other teams out and building the club back up to where we all want to go.

Up The Rams 🖤 🐏

He looks and sounds exhausted to me. 

7 hours ago, Hinzy9 said:

It's much easier to defend well when you just park the bus. If that anti football is going to the blueprint for the season then it's going to be a very hard watch.

You have to play the opposition. Had we played expansive attacking football we would have lost 5-1.  What was needed today is not what will be required at Watford nor Plymouth.  

A hard fought game where we win is about the best we can hope for in this league until we are re-established (i.e. when we are thinking top half rather than bottom).

10 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

You have to play the opposition. Had we played expansive attacking football we would have lost 5-1.  What was needed today is not what will be required at Watford nor Plymouth.  

A hard fought game where we win is about the best we can hope for in this league until we are re-established (i.e. when we are thinking top half rather than bottom).

Agreed, Warne touched on it slightly that the data they had on Middlesbrough was that they were quick and powerful in transition. Far too quick for our defence. They defended the box and stopped them from getting into any goalscoring positions - 0.88 xG from open play. Very different to Blackburn, who I suspect we just outright underestimated and struggled with their substitutions.

Honestly, it will always come down to investment. I personally expected us to have more in the pot, given the losses we had written off in League One to get to this point, but perhaps that was the plan. I’m not having a dig, of course, completely understand the money already spent saving the club, etc. I just felt that we would be spending enough to give a considerable gap between us and the rest. 

Goals change games. If Boro score in the first 20 mins, the roles could be reversed where they just sit in and protect a 1-0 whereas we dominate the ball and attempts on goal.

Once 1-0 up, it was logical to park the bus. It worked, so Warne deserves credit.

That sort of display has no long-term plan. We would never get promoted playing that way. But it was almost a one-off and we reap the short-term benefits.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Goals change games. If Boro score in the first 20 mins, the roles could be reversed where they just sit in and protect a 1-0 whereas we dominate the ball and attempts on goal.

Once 1-0 up, it was logical to park the bus. It worked, so Warne deserves credit.

That sort of display has no long-term plan. We would never get promoted playing that way. But it was almost a one-off and we reap the short-term benefits.

To be talking about promotion is absurd, getting the points to avoid going back where we have just been is THE goal for this season

It'll be interesting to see if this season goes similarly to last. Before we really got going, our season started with a mediocre 6 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses. 

Obviously, I'm not expecting us to go on a long winning streak at any point this season, but do we have a slower start which will be improved towards the end? With a lot of goals scored after 70+ minutes

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yes, if you watch the highlights back, Middlesbrough should have slaughtered us.

Their poor finishing, combined with our determination, led to the 1-0 win.

We weren’t playing Liverpool, we were playing a team in our division, so a 27% possession rate should sound alarm bells.

That’s not me being doom and gloom. Producing that type of performance week in, week out, is unsustainable. 

We have to find a combination of players who can keep the ball for longer periods.

Yesterday was brilliant for the players and the fans, but today PW will know he has his work cut out and will need some luck in the transfer market.

47 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, if you watch the highlights back, Middlesbrough should have slaughtered us.

Their poor finishing, combined with our determination, led to the 1-0 win.

We weren’t playing Liverpool, we were playing a team in our division, so a 27% possession rate should sound alarm bells.

That’s not me being doom and gloom. Producing that type of performance week in, week out, is unsustainable. 

We have to find a combination of players who can keep the ball for longer periods.

Yesterday was brilliant for the players and the fans, but today PW will know he has his work cut out and will need some luck in the transfer market.

I agree with all of this, 99 times out of 100, we lose that game.

Unsustainable is probably the right word, yesterday we got lucky, Boro could easily have scored 5 on another day.

Great that we won but unless we massively improve our ability to retain the ball and control the game we will struggle in the championship.

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

3 points are not a short term benefit. 3 points are the first prize in any given football match. We won them and they will add to our total at the end of the season. They are a permanent contribution to our stated goal of establishing ourselves in this league, which is part of the plan. 

It was a Warne masterclass. 

I loved it.

Massive underdog performance. 

But we all know what happened to Rotherham. It's not a sustainable plan. 

And that's the crux isnt it. 

Have we got a bigger budget and significantly better players still to come to add to our more talented squad.

Can we retain the ball, take the game to teams,  impose our possession etc...or are we going to just be the underdogs in every game and launch it long and hope for knockdown and deadball goals to keep us in the league.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Agreed, Warne touched on it slightly that the data they had on Middlesbrough was that they were quick and powerful in transition. Far too quick for our defence. They defended the box and stopped them from getting into any goalscoring positions - 0.88 xG from open play. Very different to Blackburn, who I suspect we just outright underestimated and struggled with their substitutions.

Honestly, it will always come down to investment. I personally expected us to have more in the pot, given the losses we had written off in League One to get to this point, but perhaps that was the plan. I’m not having a dig, of course, completely understand the money already spent saving the club, etc. I just felt that we would be spending enough to give a considerable gap between us and the rest. 

In the second half, some folk around me were screaming out as to why their left winger (or whatever the current title is) was being left wide open with acres of space to attack down the flank. Being the expert analyst that I am (not), I suggested it was possibly a deliberate ploy. We’d probably find it easier to defend crosses coming in from out wide than allowing them driving down the middle (which they still did but they might have done more of if we’d put a man marking their wide player). 

As you say, you have to adapt your game to counter the oppositions strengths. The theory that you should just set up and play to your own strengths and not worry about the opposition has only limited validity.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

In the second half, some folk around me were screaming out as to why their left winger (or whatever the current title is) was being left wide open with acres of space to attack down the flank. Being the expert analyst that I am (not), I suggested it was possibly a deliberate ploy. We’d probably find it easier to defend crosses coming in from out wide than allowing them driving down the middle (which they still did but they might have done more of if we’d put a man marking their wide player). 

As you say, you have to adapt your game to counter the oppositions strengths. The theory that you should just set up and play to your own strengths and not worry about the opposition has only limited validity.

The guy on their left was never going to be a big threat. We knew we could get out to him and he would play a simple ball. He didn’t get many crosses in.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The guy on their left was never going to be a big threat. We knew we could get out to him and he would play a simple ball. He didn’t get many crosses in.

Exactly. Even if he did get a cross in, Nelson and Bradley would have a better chance of dealing with it than Boro running at them through the middle.