Paul Warne

Day

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Just listened to the TalkSport interview. As you would expect he came over really well. I don’t think there are many managers that have his level of emotional intelligence. It’s clear there is lots of thought and planning behind everything, Paul and his team clearly live and breathe and put the hours in. Really interesting there’s two systems he’ll focus on in preseason and basically the players need to know everything about it so have to do their homework and be prepared to talk about it. 

Also it’s clear that he sees good dressing room environment as a potential differentiator and focuses on it heavily,  Personally I think this is why we beat Bolton  automatic, when we weren’t playing well the squad togetherness got us through. Most successful underdogs have strong dressing rooms and togetherness. Look at Luton Cov those sorts of teams. It can bridge some of the gap in quality where teams have bigger budgets. Interesting the whole Warne being appointed was basically Stephen Pearce liking Warne’s interviews, listening to his podcast and basically concluding this is the type of manager we want running our club. Human first and foremost. 

I also found it interesting when Matterface was asking him on Derbys budget last season trying to infer maybe Derby didn’t have the biggest budget and overachieved last season, Warne genuinely didn’t know if we had the biggest budget he saw the team as top 4, not necessarily top 2 which is how I saw it. However more interesting he said that in his 3 Rotherham promotions not once did he have a top 6 budget. I think we need to put some more respect on just what he achieved there. 

This season is his acid test, he will be battling expectancy, but he’s here as he wants to push Derby towards the premier league and go beyond  where he’s been as a manager before so he has the hunger, he creates a positive environment for people to be at their best and has demonstrated throughout his career thus far he can overachieve his budget, something we will need to do if we are to ever get back to the premier as there won’t ever be a scenario until we’re promoted that we have a top 3 or even top 6 budget. He’s definitely the right man for now and I really hope he proves to everyone this season just how good he is.

lets think about pushing derby to being a stable championship team before thinking about the premier league. if people go into next season thinking we can challenge for promotion then its going to be a miserable season

warne has achieved his goals so far but i think he has done the bare minimum required so far. lets see if he can get us to overachieve as the bare minimum next season will be staying up

Edited by alram

Last season we picked up 17 points from our first 10 games; W5;D2;L3. A season where the expectations were that anything less than promotion would be deem a failure. I'm sure during this period of time there were numerous calls for Warne's sacking.

The realistic expectations for this season is probably at best a mid-table finish. So a similar return from the first 10 games of this coming season to that of last season would be a fantastic return.

Even if we only manage to obtain 7 or 8 points from our first 10 games. 3 wins and a couple of draws would be what a number of the usual mid-table teams would be looking to achieve. So I wouldn't see the need to start sounding the alarm bells and calling for Warne's head.

Honestly feel PW has done an excellent job and some people do not give him the credit he thoroughly deserves. It’s only two years since we were on the verge of extinction and had been stripped back to just about nothing.Think Rosenior (for putting together the basis of the squad that got us up), DC (for having the courage of his convictions) and Warne deserve enormous credit. Don’t get me wrong. PW’s no Pep/Klopp but I honestly feel he is about the nearest we can get at our level. I was a Warne doubter when he joined but have slowly begun to realise what a fantastic football man he is.

20 hours ago, alram said:

lets think about pushing derby to being a stable championship team before thinking about the premier league. if people go into next season thinking we can challenge for promotion then its going to be a miserable season

warne has achieved his goals so far but i think he has done the bare minimum required so far. lets see if he can get us to overachieve as the bare minimum next season will be staying up

I don’t think anyone is thinking like that. We need to be realistic. I think most are also in the camp with Warne that getting us back to the championship is the minimum requirement, now is the acid test he needs to stabilise us in the championship and move us forward over the next 2 seasons.

2 minutes ago, PrideParkhead said:

It's goalscorers that bring a team success or relative success. He'll live & die with his recruitment in that department during this transfer window, & it ain't gonna be easy to get that right with the amount of competition fighting over a finite resource 

Agree. I have a bizarre opinion that signing a proven goalscorer won't be our aim. It will be signing someone who's either massively out of form, history of injuries but a good player, or hasn't hit the heights yet. Finances will dictate that.

Signing someone who has a history of goals can work eg. Kane to bayern. Or the opposite can happen eg. Torres to Chelsea.

Signing young with potential and turning them into a player might be a good shout. The young lad at West ham, muvamba I think might be a really good option for us.

39 minutes ago, KBB said:

Agree. I have a bizarre opinion that signing a proven goalscorer won't be our aim. It will be signing someone who's either massively out of form, history of injuries but a good player, or hasn't hit the heights yet. Finances will dictate that.

Signing someone who has a history of goals can work eg. Kane to bayern. Or the opposite can happen eg. Torres to Chelsea.

Signing young with potential and turning them into a player might be a good shout. The young lad at West ham, muvamba I think might be a really good option for us.

Love the idea of buying young players with bags of potential. All you need then is a coach that can improve them . Like Kieron McKenna, lots of coaches are coming straight in from under 18 football and making a success of it . Worst case scenario is no promotion but sell a player for £50 million . 

So, I was never a Paul Warne fan. I wasn't enthused by the style of play or the players he signed. 

However, the more I hear and read, the more I think he's done a very solid job. Not the bare minimum - but I understand why people would think the latter. 

I've changed my mind because of the following. 

The legacy contracts of Bird and Sibley seem to have been taking up far more of the budget than I thought. Reading posts from @Ambitious, it seems very likely both were on 15k and maybe some more. Then there's the wages of Hourihane. Great leader, but since Wigan away, he's been slowly ambling around like an old moose who's been asked to trample the grass down. Again, from the TalkSport interview, it would seem that there were players on 10k, or a bit more, who didn't really fit the system. 

So, that's a long-winded way of saying that a lot of wages have been tied up in players that we can easily improve on, probably by paying less money. Sibley, as much as i want him to kick-on, isn't worth 15k a week as an average LWB, for example.

I'm expecting, with the addition of Ebou to start things off, a very strong and athletic midfield. The defence needs a good LB and GK. I think both are lined-up and achievable. 

I think PW is the right person to build a squad, on a modest (for this league) budget, that will still be competitive. I wouldn't have said that 3 months a go. 

2 hours ago, Norman said:

So, I was never a Paul Warne fan. I wasn't enthused by the style of play or the players he signed. 

However, the more I hear and read, the more I think he's done a very solid job. Not the bare minimum - but I understand why people would think the latter. 

The legacy contracts of Bird and Sibley seem to have been taking up far more of the budget than I thought. Reading posts from @Ambitious, it seems very likely both were on 15k and maybe some more. Then there's the wages of Hourihane. Great leader, but since Wigan away, he's been slowly ambling around like an old moose who's been asked to trample the grass down. Again, from the TalkSport interview, it would seem that there were players on 10k, or a bit more, who didn't really fit the system. 

So, that's a long-winded way of saying that a lot of wages have been tied up in players that we can easily improve on, probably by paying less money. Sibley, as much as i want him to kick-on, isn't worth 15k a week as an average LWB, for example.

I'm expecting, with the addition of Ebou to start things off, a very strong and athletic midfield. The defence needs a good LB and GK. I think both are lined-up and achievable. 

I think PW is the right person to build a squad, on a modest (for this league) budget, that will still be competitive. I wouldn't have said that 3 months a go. 

I don't believe internet websites to be the Oracle when it comes to players salaries but I'd be amazed, and can't find any site that backs it up, if Bird and Sibley were on anything like £15k a week.

Obviously if they were that is good for us as it means there's a lot of leeway for next years signings but I'm afraid I just don't see it at all.

39 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't believe internet websites to be the Oracle when it comes to players salaries but I'd be amazed, and can't find any site that backs it up, if Bird and Sibley were on anything like £15k a week.

Obviously if they were that is good for us as it means there's a lot of leeway for next years signings but I'm afraid I just don't see it at all.

Just thought Ambitious probably isn't too far off with what he wrote below from another thread.  

"When the accounts were released we had a wage bill of £17.2m which noted 42% first team wage bill in relation to turnover (£8.6m). However, the 42% / £8.6m didn’t include Bird, Knight and Sibley who, significantly, were on legacy contracts. It also didn’t include a number of other players: Cashin & Thompson who were probably on decent wages. It means that either our off the field staff are paid supremely well, even more so considering the directors weren’t paid, or that the wages to those three in particular are far from significant. 

I’ve said based on general rule of thumb figures that first-team costs generally run at 70% of the club’s overall figure. I’d suspect our wage bill to be roughly £12m for the 23/24 when factoring all first team players which leaves £3.4m unaccounted for. If you use that same rule of thumb for playing staff.. it means the average annual wage of non-playing staff at Derby is £44k a year. I suspect shop workers, admin, chefs, etc aren’t clearing that kind of money. 

There is no way to know for certain but taking in all the evidence then my best guess is that Sibley is on a minimum £10k a week (£520k per annum) more likely to be much higher especially when considering bonuses. 

Someone at Derby is making a lot of money, anyway. Knight, Bird and Sibs seem the most likely party. Pearce might be making a decent wage too, as might the management team (£1m per annum?) I would guess at the legacy contracts handed down and Sibs signed his right after his breakthrough year on a four year deal. We know from court records that Bogle at 18 was being paid £9500 a week. It’s not unthinkable that Sibs is on £15k, perhaps £20k."

58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It was purely a guess based on the figures from the published accounts. We know that first-team wages (which didn't include Bird, Knight & Sibley significantly, as well as some other under-21 players) were around £8.6m and our overall wage bill was £17.2m for the entire club (170-something staff) for the 22/23 season when our squad was tiny. 

I pointed out that Sunderland who had double the amount of staff and accounted for promotion bonuses had a smaller overall wage bill than us during their promotion season from League One. 

It shows that someone employed by the club is earning very, very good money. Burton Albion's costs for their entire staff, including football players, was a little over £4m. We're showing almost £9m for staff costs minus our first-team, so I think it's fair to draw conclusions that those legacy contracts were incredible healthy - otherwise Stephen Pearce is earning an absolute WEDGE. 

On 10/06/2024 at 00:17, Allen said:

It’s only two years since we were on the verge of extinction and had been stripped back to just about nothing.

I would imagine fans on say the Fleetwood or Carlisle forums read this, point to our first team roster last season, and have a good giggle 

24 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I would imagine fans on say the Fleetwood or Carlisle forums read this, point to our first team roster last season, and have a good giggle 

Who says roster?

22 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

A good squad doesn't equal success. Warne also takes credit for assembling a squad good enough to go up. Not really sure what your point is- Warne's achievements are undermined by the fact we are a big club and thus have more resources than smaller clubs competing at the same level? 

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

A good squad doesn't equal success. Warne also takes credit for assembling a squad good enough to go up. Not really sure what your point is- Warne's achievements are undermined by the fact we are a big club and thus have more resources than smaller clubs competing at the same level? 

Allen was suggesting Warne had done excellent work winning promotion when we’d been ‘stripped back to just about nothing’. My point was that the second half of his proposition doesn’t hold water.  

6 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Allen was suggesting Warne had done excellent work winning promotion when we’d been ‘stripped back to just about nothing’. My point was that the second half of his proposition doesn’t hold water.  

I believe we had 3 senior players after exiting administration, I'd argue this fits with the description of ''stripped back to just about nothing''? 

I believe the point is acknowledging the quick turnaround from this dire position to achieving promotion as a club, and the part Warne played in this. Compare with how long Sunderland floundered at this level, we achieved promotion quickly, and this deserves credit.

If the quality of player is the barrier stopping you giving Warne credit, then he was doomed from the start, as he inherited most of the squad. There was never going to be a way for him to impress you as you literally had your back up from the start thinking ''good squad means we should go up, and isn't necessarily a success if we do''. That kind of entitlement and expectancy is what I've argued against all along!

16 hours ago, Norman said:

Hourihane was our top earner last season on £12K. Bird was said to be on 10K and Sibs on 8K. Bird has gone. Sibs is talking to the club. IMO it's not money that's the issue. I think he's looking for assurances as to where PW plans to play him. If he's not getting guarantees of AM whether that's as 1st or 2nd choice or a decent chance of regular starts at WB/LB, I think he'll look to go elsewhere to try to fulfil his potential in his favoured. Before anybody goes off on one saying nobody gets a guaranteed start, I agree. Sibs will want some sort of "guarantee" that, if he plays well, he'll get  a goodly share of appearances. If PW sees him as a squad player then he's going to try to find employ elsewhere.

18 hours ago, KBB said:

Signing someone who has a history of goals can work eg. Kane to bayern.

First trophyless season for Bayern since 2011. 11 League Titles on the trot come to an end. No DfB Pokaal (the Cup). No German Super Cup. No European success. Nowt.

Kane scored a lot but I think he'd have sacrificed half his goals for a winner's medal.