Paul Warne

Day

1 hour ago, valakari said:

Here's a thought..late February and Mendez Laing runs out of steam...deja vu or what???

Another is ...how many injuries due to over running the players??

And the biggest was when he said ..Chris Martin wasn't his type of player...and yet a class player who can look after himself and score goals is exactly the type we need!

Warne was a fitness coach, yet he can't keep players fit. Worrying. Yes their age will be a factor, but so will his training methods. Is he over training?

I'm sure many of you will remember Paul McGrath? Yes he was an extreme case in a different era, but he maintained a basic level of fitness, sometimes not training from one week to the next, yet he turned out week after week and did a good job.

I suspect Warne would be best placed to go gently with the older players, once they are "fit enough". Then he may just keep them fit and energetic for longer - NML included.

15 minutes ago, tinman said:

There were 3 changes in formation in 15 minutes at the start of the second half. 
2 minutes after the third change the ball is knocked into the now vacant left back channel and the penalty ours given away. 

the players are all over the place because of the managers tinkering during game. 

Totally agree, not the players fault. Tactical naivety. Wildsmith was in error but the situation should not have arisen had Warne not got the team shapeless. These are errors you see with managers of 8 year olds on the Racecourse on a Sunday.

it happens too frequently to be accidental, this is what PW and his team is paid for.  Unfortunately too much belief and too little ability. No admittance of errors.  The list gets longer I’m afraid.

Edited by Lokidoki

32 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don’t think many can argue that we’ve been a great side this season. We’ve been industrious and efficient, which up til now has worked more times than it hasn’t.

Honestly, I think that a lot of the performances this season haven't really looked all that different to last night.  The only difference being that in those games we didn't make those silly mistakes, and NML/Hourihane/Collins etc pulled a goal or 2 out of nowhere and we ended up winning fairly comfortably.  And that's why a lot of people have been so frustrated, even when we've won, because it doesn't feel sustainable.  We aren't going to go the entire season without making silly mistakes, and without those key matchwinners getting injuries or getting tired or losing form, yet with the way we set up, it feels like we're going to have to.  And that's compounded because we know with the way we play, that players are going to pick up knocks, and that older players are going to get tired etc, and that's when the mistakes creep in and performances start to drift off.

9 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

Totally agree, not the players fault. Tactical naivety. Wildsmith was in error but the situation should not have arisen had Warne not got the team shapeless. These are errors you see with managers of 8 year olds on the Racecourse on a Sunday.

it happens too frequently to be accidental, this is what PW and his team is paid for.  Unfortunately too much belief and too little ability. No admittance of errors.  The list gets longer I’m afraid.

My sons Sunday morning coach was quite decent. At least he went out and tried to win games…

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Honestly, I think that a lot of the performances this season haven't really looked all that different to last night.  The only difference being that in those games we didn't make those silly mistakes, and NML/Hourihane/Collins etc pulled a goal or 2 out of nowhere and we ended up winning fairly comfortably.  And that's why a lot of people have been so frustrated, even when we've won, because it doesn't feel sustainable.  We aren't going to go the entire season without making silly mistakes, and without those key matchwinners getting injuries or getting tired or losing form, yet with the way we set up, it feels like we're going to have to.  And that's compounded because we know with the way we play, that players are going to pick up knocks, and that older players are going to get tired etc, and that's when the mistakes creep in and performances start to drift off.

I know. It’s two losses back to back, and it’s easy to say ifs and buts, but if Wildsmith doesn’t s*** the bed and give away the penalty, and we go on to win 1-0, what’s different?

It’s the exact same performance except we’re 3 points further ahead and everything is a lot more positive.

It’s the downside of playing football in this way, if you keep winning then brilliant but it only takes a couple of defeats before the pitchforks are out. We had this issue a few months ago and went on a run of great form. If we can sort ourselves out and stay positive then I think we can hit good form again, the problem is the league is poor, and there’s no reason why Bolton can’t also do the same.

10 minutes ago, Ramtastic ones said:

Warne was a fitness coach, yet he can't keep players fit. Worrying. Yes their age will be a factor, but so will his training methods. Is he over training?

I'm sure many of you will remember Paul McGrath? Yes he was an extreme case in a different era, but he maintained a basic level of fitness, sometimes not training from one week to the next, yet he turned out week after week and did a good job.

I suspect Warne would be best placed to go gently with the older players, once they are "fit enough". Then he may just keep them fit and energetic for longer - NML included.

If you listen to his interviews he is always harping on about managing the fitness of the older players, Gayle for instance, and why he isn't able to play full 90 minutes etc. 

Yes the older players are going to be more susceptible to injuries, but you can't deny he has kept NML available for more games than most of his career, McGoldrick last season also, rarely unavailable after Warne came in. Collins despite his all action style hasn't been injured due to training.

Feels like this is just another stick to beat him with.

Honestly, there is so much tripe posted in here after a defeat it is laughable!

We've lost back to back league games for the 1st time.

We are 2nd in the table despite having to deal with a lack of attacking options.

Yes, we would all like to see more flair, more attacking football, but we just don't have the personnel for it atm, our financial restrictions have limited who we have been able to recruit and more importantly, IMO, who we were able to keep hold of.

I really wish we had played a 5 at the back last night with the lack of a left back being available, Sibley at LWB and Wilson at RWB would have given us more attacking options IMO, but he chose to play a 4 with Cashin at LB, a 4 that the vast majority are screaming for despite the personnel not being available.

No matter how poor the football is perceived to be by some, we ONLY lost to stupid, amateurish individual errors again, just like at the beginning of the season.

Is it Warnes fault that Wildsmith had another brainfart? We could see from the South stand that when the ball went forward he would never get there in time as he wasn't on his toes in anticipation, so he should have got close and stood his grd to make the player have to beat him.

Was it Warnes fault that the numerous mistakes from individuals cost us the 2nd goal, fgs, I came from us trying to pass it around at the back instead of launching it forwards (what most people complain about as Warne ball.... so it feels like all those moaners got what they deserved by trying to pass it around with league 1 players!).

I for 1 will be there on Saturday and give him my full support, despite not agreeing with some of his decisions,  after all, what do I know compared to the man that has us 2nd in the table?

And for all those that say any other manager would have us 1st, prove it, Where's the evidence? Who's to say we wouldn't have lost more games? Or is it just your opinion, a bit like mine, so worthless other than being an opinion of a fan that has watched thousands of games but never had access to the inner workings of a club out of administration and the coaching badges to allow me to be on the training ground. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

We're not the ones out on the pitch! I thought the crowd sounded well up for it last night. That's how it sounded anyway.

The players are sent out and set up in such a way that you have no idea how good they really are! Look how Warne made Jason Knight look last season, fans were saying he was rubbish! 😄

There's a reason we look an ordinary League 1 team, that is how we are set up and managed!

An ordinary league 1 team 😂 we’re second with very good goal difference.

21 minutes ago, Kernow said:

but if Wildsmith doesn’t s*** the bed and give away the penalty, and we go on to win 1-0, what’s different?

We were under the cosh before the penalty anyway. They missed a sitter from about a yard out, that was the only reason it wasn't a draw before the penalty. That second half was only going one way and that was a loss. 

18 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I know. It’s two losses back to back, and it’s easy to say ifs and buts, but if Wildsmith doesn’t s*** the bed and give away the penalty, and we go on to win 1-0, what’s different?

It’s the exact same performance except we’re 3 points further ahead and everything is a lot more positive.

It’s the downside of playing football in this way, if you keep winning then brilliant but it only takes a couple of defeats before the pitchforks are out. We had this issue a few months ago and went on a run of great form. If we can sort ourselves out and stay positive then I think we can hit good form again, the problem is the league is poor, and there’s no reason why Bolton can’t also do the same.

This isn't aimed at you necessarily (you've just triggered something that's been bugging me for a while), but I do find it very odd that the people who insist that this is a really poor league and we can't possibly play good football with all the terrible footballers in it, seem to be the exact same people that think players should never ever make mistakes, should score very chance they have etc.  So maybe once we fill the squad with players who aren't good enough to pass to each other consistently, but at the same time never, ever make mistakes, we'll be fine?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

We look an ordinary league 1 team. Most of the players are anything but.

Chortle, chortle. 👍

Well Man City look a pretty ordinary premier league team sometimes. They’re still an exceptional side who’ve had lots of success. Football is random, you’re not going to be amazing every game. That’s even more so in League 1

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

Vs Stevenage the gate was 27,055, Last night it was 24,557 a drop off of almost 2,500 that will be his concern, You'd have thought playing a team that hasn't won for circa 20 games fans would be flocking to see an avalanche of goals 😉 but know, I guess different reasons or just can't be arsed to watch the stuff on show.

If we don't get promoted and with an increase in season tickets...fans will vote with their feet...imo

There is normally a drop off between weekend and midweek attendances. Life and work often gets in the way for people.

Of course, fans will vote with their feet. It happens at every club up and down the country, even at clubs with much vaunted support like Leeds.

If we don’t get promoted, either Warne’s job will be under threat or Clowes will give him the first half of next season.

Will it affect attendances? Maybe slightly. But if Derby’s core support have remained through the management spells of Todd, Gregory, Brown, Jewell, Pearson, Cocu, Rooney, Clement and so on, I don’t see the majority deserting the club now.

There have been worse times and less enjoyable football. If you are a fan of the club, nothing should really change.

1 minute ago, Ramfan1958 said:

How much players are deterating under Warne !!!

Sibley isn't half the player he was under previous manager's.  

Is it one goal at PP in 2 years/seasons he's not half the player he was. 

Personally I think Warnes lost the dressing room.

Doing what under Warne??

I’m fully behind Warne as I think we need slow growth and stability and I don’t see this season as boom or bust. Fully appreciate not everyone feels the same and I’m not currently there at every home game so I don’t quite feel the full impact of the frustration.

But saying that, I’m concerned by how much this is currently reminding me of Rowett’s season. Crap yet somewhat effective football in terms of results, but it’s not enough to maintain momentum throughout your season because teams work you out and you’ve not really set yourself up with a workable Plan B. I think he’s also, like Rowett, kinda having favourites in his players that simply right now aren’t working. Wilson is one, where there simply isn’t enough coming from him except running. NML is arguably another right now because teams mark him out of the game. There’s possibly an argument for Bird as another. It’s not that these players aren’t your best players, but they aren’t being effective right now yet are picked out of hope they’ll create something. Sometimes you have to be smart and have a bit of faith in a Sibley or a Barkhuizen (as examples) rather than maybe making the easy decision of benching them after 1 game or subbing them on/off. Sibleys performance on Saturday was harshly judged in my opinion and I think he could’ve kept him in just to link up with Bird and give Charlton something else to think about. Barkhuizen had a decent half at Exeter which he needed to build on but isn’t really given a chance to. This is similar to what Rowett would do with Martin and I think looking back it really cost him. 

Thie biggest concern probably is that Warne might have a preferred 11, but that isn’t his best 11 because that best 11 is very difficult to make into a workable team. As fans we struggle to put it together, partly because of injury, partly because the recruitment, partly the fringe players aren’t match ready and partly because we don’t have a pattern to our play. 

Id rather grow something around Warne, but he is being out thought whilst his players are being out fought.

56 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Honestly, there is so much tripe posted in here after a defeat it is laughable!

We've lost back to back league games for the 1st time.

We are 2nd in the table despite having to deal with a lack of attacking options.

Yes, we would all like to see more flair, more attacking football, but we just don't have the personnel for it atm, our financial restrictions have limited who we have been able to recruit and more importantly, IMO, who we were able to keep hold of.

I really wish we had played a 5 at the back last night with the lack of a left back being available, Sibley at LWB and Wilson at RWB would have given us more attacking options IMO, but he chose to play a 4 with Cashin at LB, a 4 that the vast majority are screaming for despite the personnel not being available.

No matter how poor the football is perceived to be by some, we ONLY lost to stupid, amateurish individual errors again, just like at the beginning of the season.

Is it Warnes fault that Wildsmith had another brainfart? We could see from the South stand that when the ball went forward he would never get there in time as he wasn't on his toes in anticipation, so he should have got close and stood his grd to make the player have to beat him.

Was it Warnes fault that the numerous mistakes from individuals cost us the 2nd goal, fgs, I came from us trying to pass it around at the back instead of launching it forwards (what most people complain about as Warne ball.... so it feels like all those moaners got what they deserved by trying to pass it around with league 1 players!).

I for 1 will be there on Saturday and give him my full support, despite not agreeing with some of his decisions,  after all, what do I know compared to the man that has us 2nd in the table?

And for all those that say any other manager would have us 1st, prove it, Where's the evidence? Who's to say we wouldn't have lost more games? Or is it just your opinion, a bit like mine, so worthless other than being an opinion of a fan that has watched thousands of games but never had access to the inner workings of a club out of administration and the coaching badges to allow me to be on the training ground. 

Didn't it go wrong going to a back 5 last night though? 

I know Warne's in game changes can be hard to keep track of but for me we at least looked fairly solid with a 4 when Nyambe was on. 

As for putting the defeat down to playing too much football at the back - pretty much all we did was launch it. 

For me he gets this season and he needs to get us up - otherwise he's gone and if not I can see Pride Park being toxic.   80% of match going fans I speak to think the football we play is not worth watching.    

44 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

There is normally a drop off between weekend and midweek attendances. Life and work often gets in the way for people.

Of course, fans will vote with their feet. It happens at every club up and down the country, even at clubs with much vaunted support like Leeds.

If we don’t get promoted, either Warne’s job will be under threat or Clowes will give him the first half of next season.

Will it affect attendances? Maybe slightly. But if Derby’s core support have remained through the management spells of Todd, Gregory, Brown, Jewell, Pearson, Cocu, Rooney, Clement and so on, I don’t see the majority deserting the club now.

There have been worse times and less enjoyable football. If you are a fan of the club, nothing should really change.

Happy clapper and the usual people liking your post. Wake up and smell the coffee all of you