Paul Warne

Day

30 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Will never boo our team at end of match but was tempted last night. If we dont go up I would sack PW immediately. Season tickets will be down if fans are faced with another season of this football in league 1. If we do go up I would still sack him immediately. PW has shown nothing to suggest he will even consolidate us staying up in championship. I wouldnt want PW involved in any way in more player decisions at the club if it was my money. I would hope david clowes is planning for both scenarios and has someone who will give him good footballing advice. Having said that I will trudge for every home match, support team and manager whilst there and trudge home again, and even desperately try for at least one away. 

Wow! CB and you're one of the posters that comes across as optimistic, You travel very long distances to get to our games so I guess you've had enough of PW 😉

Because it's so close to the end of the season it's futile and depending on how far you take it toxic to bang the drum of Warne out when really us fans just need to keep a positive atmosphere and hope we achieve promotion.

I'm still concerned however with the structure around Warne since he was appointed. I understand and appreciate Clowes went with the plan of getting Warne in who is proven in getting out of this league and also sticking by him after last season and even earlier this season but it didn't address the problem we had under Mel which is being manager-proof in our philosophy of football and recruitment. A major reason why we spent so much money was to supplement the manager of the time rather than thinking long term. Signing Nugent instead of Ollie Watkins springs to mind.

It seems the modern structure of clubs who are copying success stories of Luton, Brighton, Brentford all have a common theme of separating the recruitment from the manager/coach and basically giving that power to the Chief Scout/Director of Football/However you want to title it. The manager/coach just basically coaches and if they can't with the players they are dealt they go! Those above clubs have had managers come and go and it's not phased them one bit in terms of their progression. It's almost like the NFL where the structure is Owner - General Manager - Head Coach.

What I worry going into this year because realistically Warne is staying barring us missing even the playoffs that we continue to give him total control over the recruitment and it results in more players like Callum Elder, Conor Washington and John-Jules. If Warne struggles early on like he did this season and he's gone does Clowes go for a similar manager or a completely different playing style. If it's the latter that will be a waste of a first window without restrictions and a waste of money. This is what I mean about us being manager proof!

The crucial question that should be posed to Clowes is what type/style of football does he want to see and does he think that matches the majority of fans opinion as well because right now we have style of football that is hard to watch for a lot of fans who have grown up with Stevie Mac. 

Edited by eddielewis

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Very succinctly written, Kernow

We all have February slump PTSD so I do sympathise with those that are panicking

There’s a good chance I’ll also be sharpening my pitchfork at the end of the season if we don’t go up but for now, I’m not blinded by the (1)lack of entertainment” when this always has been a results business

How so many posters are convincing themselves that (2)promotion almost isn’t worth it if Warne’s in charge shows how far from reality you can get when you dislike a manager. I remember thinking the same when Rowett was in charge but if we’d been promoted with him then we wouldn’t be here now - I couldn’t have been more wrong

I’ll put the tin hat on and say Warne’s biggest issue is managing the expectations of a bunch of pearl clutchers who can’t sit through the (3)grim reality of League One football at their precious Derby County and boo the team

A few points:

1.  It's an entertainment business.  If the club think they can rely entirely on goodwill to keep people coming in through the gates, they're in for a shock.  And more than anything, playing entertaining football gives you something to fall back on when results don't go your way.  If you play well but manage to lose the game, people are still going to be largely positive.  If you play terribly and lose anyway, then what have you got? Nothing.

2.  I think there's definitely an argument that going up and coming straight back down is worse than not going up this year, then going up in a season or 2 and staying there.  We are still a "temporarily embarrassed Championship club" in most peoples minds (potential signings included), going up and staying up reinforces that.  Proving that we can't compete at Championship level any more just hammers home that we might end up stuck permanently at this kind of level.  (Obviously I know you can't pick and choose your promotions, you take what you can etc.)

3.  When did people get so down on the club?  It's like a big chunk of Derby fans have decided that we need to be punished and aren't allowed to have nice things any more.  It's *weird*.  We're not demanding that the club plays like Real Madrid every game, but it would be nice if we actually tried every now and then.  We're one of the biggest clubs in the league, with pretty much the biggest wage bill, probably the best academy and whatever else.  We should be going into games believing we can outplay the opposition, and okay if we can't then we find other ways to win, but we should at least be starting with that mindset.  I find the gamut of "it's League One, we have to play bad football" to  "we can't outplay teams, so we'll have to outrun them" type attitudes pretty sad to be honest.  We should be a team that plays good football and believes that we are good enough to beat teams by doing that.

14 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Very succinctly written, Kernow

We all have February slump PTSD so I do sympathise with those that are panicking

There’s a good chance I’ll also be sharpening my pitchfork at the end of the season if we don’t go up but for now, I’m not blinded by the “lack of entertainment” when this always has been a results business

How so many posters are convincing themselves that promotion almost isn’t worth it if Warne’s in charge shows how far from reality you can get when you dislike a manager. I remember thinking the same when Rowett was in charge but if we’d been promoted with him then we wouldn’t be here now - I couldn’t have been more wrong

I’ll put the tin hat on and say Warne’s biggest issue is managing the expectations of a bunch of pearl clutchers who can’t sit through the grim reality of League One football at their precious Derby County and boo the team

I understand the issues some have with Warne. I think sometimes it’s over the top and the slightest downside will be blown out of proportion, but I don’t think many can argue that we’ve been a great side this season. We’ve been industrious and efficient, which up til now has worked more times than it hasn’t.

But if we bring negativity to the games from kick off, it’ll only have a negative impact. For David Clowes, it isn’t just a case of “well the football’s s***, let’s duck him off”. He will have a 2-year payout for a number of staff, then have to recruit somebody who will need to hit the ground running from day 1 to keep us on track for promotion. It’s an expensive gamble that will be paid for by one fan, that’s it.

I think if we are facing a third year in League One, then that’s the time to make the change. When we still sit in the automatic places, have a favourable run-in, and a go in the play-offs if we fall just short, then sacking him isn’t even going to be thought about.

Warne has to go, whether it’s now or the end of the season I’m not sure, purely down to the fact would the EFL allow us to spend more money in sacking him and his motley crew this season, especially when we had to have consent from them to sign Gayle?
I too will be there again on Saturday expecting the worse, whether it’s just a poor performance again but scraped a win or just as likely a poor performance and lose!! 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

👏

😞

Even the most pro- Warne amongst us will find it difficult to argue with that question. Shame about the smiley face though.

You have to laugh don't you. I don't think I've ever heard such 'amusing' statements as those our manager comes out with. Although it is predictable in content it is never predictable in form. 

Look people on here think I find it enjoyable watching a manager massacre any chance the squad have of playing football in a constructive manner. I said constructive, not even necessarily exciting or pretty. It's dreadful stuff we're being fed and the worry is we'll keep getting fed it all the while it looks like the possibility of being able to say 'we're doing well, look where we've come from' exists. Although that will change to 'we're doing well look how sustainable we are', I think.

I feel sorry for the players trying to make Warne's tactics work. Even when it works apparently 'we've not played well all season'. 😉

4 hours ago, Rambam said:

Even a team that hadn’t won for 22 games? He must have the biggest inferiority complex on earth.

That team signed a dozen players in January, got a new manager and drew their last 2 games with the teams sitting 1st & 3rd. They were never going to lie down and die for us.

There wasn't much wrong with our approach until Wildsmith decided to go walkies.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Most of them didn't know where they were playing last night either... 😉

This is my biggest bugbear about Warne's management.  He can't resist the urge to tinker every game.

Pick a settled formation - and play it.

Pick a settled team and subject to injuries, play it. When you need to, substitute like for like.

And don't just take off your midfield and throw all your forwards on when you're chasing a win.

The players look lost at times. Sometimes they are playing two or three formations/positions in the same game. Their instinct and trust for linking play are completely nullified in that situation. 

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

A few points:

1.  It's an entertainment business.  If the club think they can rely entirely on goodwill to keep people coming in through the gates, they're in for a shock.  And more than anything, playing entertaining football gives you something to fall back on when results don't go your way.  If you play well but manage to lose the game, people are still going to be largely positive.  If you play terribly and lose anyway, then what have you got? Nothing.

2.  I think there's definitely an argument that going up and coming straight back down is worse than not going up this year, then going up in a season or 2 and staying there.  We are still a "temporarily embarrassed Championship club" in most peoples minds (potential signings included), going up and staying up reinforces that.  Proving that we can't compete at Championship level any more just hammers home that we might end up stuck permanently at this kind of level.  (Obviously I know you can't pick and choose your promotions, you take what you can etc.)

3.  When did people get so down on the club?  It's like a big chunk of Derby fans have decided that we need to be punished and aren't allowed to have nice things any more.  It's *weird*.  We're not demanding that the club plays like Real Madrid every game, but it would be nice if we actually tried every now and then.  We're one of the biggest clubs in the league, with pretty much the biggest wage bill, probably the best academy and whatever else.  We should be going into games believing we can outplay the opposition, and okay if we can't then we find other ways to win, but we should at least be starting with that mindset.  I find the gamut of "it's League One, we have to play bad football" to  "we can't outplay teams, so we'll have to outrun them" type attitudes pretty sad to be honest.  We should be a team that plays good football and believes that we are good enough to beat teams by doing that.

1) Agreed

2) From a business perspective, I believe the Championship will be worth an extra £7-10m in revenue. Of course our costs go up but who doesn't want this. 

I'd also suggest - we stay down, Bird is already gone, I am sure Cashin will move on (We just get a decent fee) so what will we be left with? Our better ball playing players will have left (Bird, Cashin, Hourihane), a manager playing lump it football, a depleted squad size, a manager who seems to struggle to attract good attacking players (Which attacking players has he bought in who are a success - even Wilson for all his skill doesn't contribute much in goals/assists). It's a disaster waiting to happen under Warne.

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

That team signed a dozen players in January, got a new manager and drew their last 2 games with the teams sitting 1st & 3rd. They were never going to lie down and die for us.

There wasn't much wrong with our approach until Wildsmith decided to go walkies.

Much wrong? Wow.

We'd had three shots at half time. We had played head tennis for much of the first half. I think everything was wrong.

4 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Wow! CB and you're one of the posters that comes across as optimistic, You travel very long distances to get to our games so I guess you've had enough of PW 😉

Yes I am optimistic - its a joke in our family that I am always positive about us. I still think we will somehow go up in autos for example. I really like him. I smile at some of his interviews. He seems a nice bloke. I think he cares. He does seem to have a bond with the squad (at times!). Clowes obviously likes him. I'm sure he's good to have around after the misery of admin. 
There was a time when Warne ball did seem to be working finally for parts of matches at least. But recently its grim on the pitch. You can excuse him somewhat with injuries. But I would rather we try and play positively and lose than that last night and lose. 
I think DC my forever hero by the way should look at the structure and personnel around the club. Ive said we're unlucky with injuries but who sanctioned the signing of so many injury prone or recovering players? How rigorous are our medicals? Who has the final say? Surely someone should say no at times? When other teams sign people they just seem to go in and play.  I know we are strapped who we can sign financially but prob not even that compared to dome in league.  I would have preferred some promising young lower league or even non- league players mixed in with the experience we had. I still expect CBT to work out for us but the situation seems odd on his signing. 
Then there is the constant chopping snd changes of players and where and how they are expected to play - one minute flavour of week and next not in matchday squad. 
I could go on and on

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

1) Agreed

2) From a business perspective, I believe the Championship will be worth an extra £7-10m in revenue. Of course our costs go up but who doesn't want this. 

I'd also suggest - we stay down, Bird is already gone, I am sure Cashin will move on (We just get a decent fee) so what will we be left with? Our better ball playing players will have left (Bird, Cashin, Hourihane), a manager playing lump it football, a depleted squad size, a manager who seems to struggle to attract good attacking players (Which attacking players has he bought in who are a success - even Wilson for all his skill doesn't contribute much in goals/assists). It's a disaster waiting to happen under Warne.

The unwritten assumption in my post was that I'd rather a different manager actually get something in place (even if it takes us another year or 2), than Warne drag us up through sheer bloody-mindedness and then take us straight back down.  I dread to think what we'll look like next season after most of the remaining footballers have gone, whatever league we're in.

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

This is my biggest bugbear about Warne's management.  He can't resist the urge to tinker every game.

Pick a settled formation - and play it.

Pick a settled team and subject to injuries, play it. When you need to, substitute like for like.

And don't just take off your midfield and throw all your forwards on when you're chasing a win.

The players look lost at times. Sometimes they are playing two or three formations/positions in the same game. Their instinct and trust for linking play are completely nullified in that situation. 

There were 3 changes in formation in 15 minutes at the start of the second half. 
2 minutes after the third change the ball is knocked into the now vacant left back channel and the penalty ours given away. 

the players are all over the place because of the managers tinkering during game. 

19 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Much wrong? Wow.

We'd had three shots at half time. We had played head tennis for much of the first half. I think everything was wrong.

We were looking relatively comfortable until Smith went off, despite not much in the way of goal attempts and Charlton picking up their efforts after HT. The head  tennis was as much down to THEIR tactics as anything - there was often little space to actually bring the ball down without getting crunched.