Paul Warne

Day

We all know most opposition teams will come here to stifle us. Play exactly the game we played at Exeter. Imagine what a catastrophe of a game it would be if we set up that way at home and the opposition did too.... 

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

An old saying  "The Peter Principle" says if you shine in your job, you rise to your level of incompetence. Then you are replaced. So two thoughts:

PW has/is doing well at this level. We will go up and he may do well at the next level ,and maybe even the Prem . At some point he falls short and we will replace him. However if he does really well, he himself may move to a bigger and better job or be poached.

Alternatively we find a rising star now. Can we guarantee he will not be incompetent at the next level? Also if he's as good as we think others will also have spotted him and temptation to a bigger club will follow.

We tend to be judged in life on our results and football is even more driven that way. PW results by the only standard that counts are good. So I feel we go with the flow and enjoy the ride! 

You beat me to it. Reading the last page or so of this thread made me immediately think of The Peter Principle. At present he is doing well and has a history of getting promotions. He has also been relegated a few times but in some cases there were extenuating circumstances and his previous club were happy to keep employing him.

No one knows (probably not even himself) what he is capable of or what levels he can attain. He strikes me as an intelligent chap and he will know the challenges which lie ahead, should we get promoted. In my opinion he should be given every chance to succeed and only if it becomes apparent that he is out of his depth should he be replaced.

Not comparing him to Brian Clough at all but Brian was managing Hartlepool (not very well) when we appointed him. We didn’t improve the first season he was here but got promotion the following year. No one knew at the time how good he would be, he didn’t show it in the first year here.

Let’s give him the opportunity to succeed.

I have my own views on Warne but, and I know this sounds a little strange, why don’t we concentrate on what could be an extremely exciting end to the season, in many different ways, and try and enjoy it.

Managers come and managers go but promotion seasons, if this were to be one, don’t happen all that often, so let’s worry about injuries, formations and other results and enjoy the ride. ‘The rest is just pure journalistic speculation’. 

Many years ago, at Sheff Utd away, just before Phil Gee scored, I remember news filtering through and the chant ‘Portsmouth are losing’ sung loudly from the away end. Memories. Just saying. 

COYR

🐏🐏

8 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

1 basic rule for posting on this thread now and in future:

Foresight is unwelcome, and hindsight will be dismissed.

(Or is that 2 rules?)

Not a rule, you only have to come on here at 2pm to know how wildly unpredictable foresight can be.

Nothing inherently wrong with saying Warne won’t keep us up either if that’s the opinion, just feels a bit off when it’s put out there almost fact like and DC/SP are too stupid not to see it.

Something that isn’t taken into consideration whilst rubbing the crystal ball is momentum. We finish the remaining games unbeaten, and we have that nobody can beat us feeling going into the season that can be huge.

When Blackpool were promoted to the Premier League, it wasn’t a tactical masterclass, nor was it a squad full of ability. They had the belief and that squad mentality, as did we under Billy Davies.

31 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

1 basic rule for posting on this thread now and in future:

Foresight is unwelcome, and hindsight will be dismissed.

(Or is that 2 rules?)

No. People’s personal opinions (foresight) stated as being factual, is unwelcome. Hindsight, wisely interpreted and argued is welcomed. Where do you sit within these 2 rules?

42 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

No. People’s personal opinions (foresight) stated as being factual, is unwelcome. Hindsight, wisely interpreted and argued is welcomed. Where do you sit within these 2 rules?

I don't sit anywhere within your rules. You're not my boss and I don't answer to you.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

12 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Stop making things up 

🤣

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"Years to come" could be 10 years from now. It doesn't contradict the 4 year plan previously mentioned. For full context, the full quote in Percy's interview is:

"Derby County is a big football club and if we get this right there’s no reason why we can’t be back in the Premier League in years to come.
The short-term aim is obviously promotion out of League One. It has gone very quickly and I think we’ve done some good things.
I know what we’re trying to do behind the scenes and I’m really excited about the future of the club.
I’m seeing the club progress and feel very privileged that I’m in this position."

At no point did he say "top-flight in no-time". Clowes and Pearce have mentioned steady progress, meaning Warne's brief over his 4 year contract is to make us a midtable Championship club. At a suitable point in time, the club will review the situation and either extend his contract (as they think he's capable of taking us further) or move on to the next maanger.

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Not comparing him to Brian Clough at all but Brian was managing Hartlepool (not very well) when we appointed him. We didn’t improve the first season he was here but got promotion the following year. No one knew at the time how good he would be, he didn’t show it in the first year here.

Let’s give him the opportunity to succeed.

That's inaccurate. Clough improved Hartlepools significantly in his near 2 seasons there. He was appointed October 1965 with them having only won 3 games from their opening 13 - they improved to finish 18th and the following season, they finished 8th under his management. Derby then offered him the job that summer & the tangible improvement will have been a big factor in that; To put into context, Hartlepools had finished bottom 2 of the old Division Four 5 of the preceding 6 seasons

image.png.e0395923224aa4f55015b9925600beaf.png

By contrast, Warne's career to date could best be described as 'mixed' & whilst he has success at League One level, there is nothing in the 3 seasons/129 games he managed in the Championship that indicates he is capable of securing the Championship midtable consolidation we would need should we go up. I imagine the club will do some serious thinking in May about how credible it would be for him to continue should we go up, particularly as we will be small fry in terms of budget at that level - something Warne struggled with when at Rotherham. After all, we wouldn't baulk at some of the current playing squad being moved on should we go up, why wouldn't it extend to the manager if it was deemed he also wasn't capable of stepping up?

Edited by LeedsCityRam

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

That's inaccurate. Clough improved Hartlepools significantly in his near 2 seasons there. He was appointed October 1965 with them having only won 3 games from their opening 13 - they improved to finish 18th and the following season, they finished 8th under his management. Derby then offered him the job that summer & the tangible improvement will have been a big factor in that; To put into context, Hartlepools had finished bottom 2 of the old Division Four 5 of the preceding 6 seasons

image.png.e0395923224aa4f55015b9925600beaf.png

By contrast, Warne's career to date could best be described as 'mixed' & whilst he has success at League One level, there is nothing in the 3 seasons/129 games he managed in the Championship that indicates he is capable of securing the Championship midtable consolidation we would need should we go up. I imagine the club will do some serious thinking in May about how credible it would be for him to continue should we go up, particularly as we will be small fry in terms of budget at that level - something Warne struggled with when at Rotherham. After all, we wouldn't baulk at some of the current playing squad being moved on should we go up, why wouldn't it extend to the manager also if it was deemed he also wasn't capable of stepping up?

The post was that he didn't improve Derby the first season ? I believe, only from Wiki that he finished one place lower than the previous season.

Was there anything in BCs previous career that suggested he would go onto the success he achieved ?

I think that was the point of the post, not sure it was inaccurate?

2 hours ago, David said:

We need to get promoted first and foremost. Before then, any talk of Championship stability or Premier League is premature.

Every single football club will have it’s own short and long term plans, not only that, managers will have their own career succession plan which won’t always be openly shared for obvious reasons.

Personally, as a fan, I don’t put much weight into these plans, they sound great, however only 3 teams go up, 3 go down each season. (4 in League 1). I just look for progress. Progress for me is League table pure and simple.

Others will have their own metrics, however ultimately the league table shows progress. We’ve made progress.

If we finish 3rd, lose in the play off final, it’s still progress. Although the bar has been raised for next season where if promotion isn’t achieved, would be difficult for Warne to continue.

On a side note, it can’t be forgotten what state this club was in just a couple years ago when Rooney left. We have made incredible progress.

History, attendances, facilities don’t count for much if you don’t have a team.

Yep , I’ve been putting roofs on for 35 years and I’ve never once put the roof on before the house was built🤷🏻‍♂️

33 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It wasn't supposed to be a joke.

A top coach like Warne will have signed sufficient back up in January and if not he has a great academy option in Brown.

If we lose Collins for the season we should be fine.

Well we did score three in the last game and Collins didn’t score any of them, plus according to some on here contributed nothing, so yes we should be alright.

Plus we can recall Brown next week and Washington may well be fit also.