Paul Warne

Day

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The bit in bold is the key though, because it won't be true in the Championship - the majority of teams will have better players than us.  Exeter created enough chances to think a half-decent Championship team would have scored at least one, and we probably don't score all of the goals we did against better defenders.

How do you know that the majority will have better players?

I know DC isn't going to throw money around, but we will be free of all restrictions for the first time in years and will be able to operate differently in the transfer market. 

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Clowes mentioned something about the Prem? So we can't judge him on getting us to the Prem, then what metrics? Standard of football? Income generated from player sales?

You're missing the point, how can you judge him against something that has proven to be very difficult, where managers like Steve M have already spectacularly failed, with much bigger resources.

9 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I know DC isn't going to throw money around, but we will be free of all restrictions for the first time in years and will be able to operate differently in the transfer market. 

I don't think it's a crazy assumption to make... A fair chunk of the league will have parachute payments, meaning they can spend way over anything we can.  The majority of the rest have established Championship-level squads that they have been building for years.  The bulk of our squad is either unproven at that level, or older players who have stepped down a level to keep playing.  We may end up with a mid-level Championship squad, but even with that, we aren't going to be winning many games pretty much by virtue of having better players, like we have multiple times this season.

I make no secret of the fact that I like warne , in fact I like warne and clowes as the team/ figurehead s of our club , there’s an honesty, integrity, decency and stability that is really refreshing after the last few years , I then put that alongside the fact that we are getting results and challenging for promotion and I like it , im not unhappy that we are next to top scorer’s in the league we are in because watching derby is not dependent on how we go about being next to top scorers , I then put that together with the fact we are not leaky as a holed bucket so have the best goal difference and when I weigh it all up I’m pretty happy with how we are progressing from a dire position , some are not happy in fact some are very unhappy, fair play to them that’s how they see it , my opinion won’t change a thing in they’re thinking , I don’t really get it but it’s clear they don’t get where I’m coming from on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

19 minutes ago, ossieram said:

It’s kind of funny that a lot that slate warne as being only suited to being in a Rotherham situation competing against better players and better budgets creating that underdog batting mentality and doing well are certain he won’t cope when put in that situation with derby in the championship with a bit more wiggle room than he had at Rotherham , then I see the he won’t be good enough to get to or survive in the prem 😂,, if we had a manager who looked like he was prem quality at this point there’s no way we could keep him long enough to get us there 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

16 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

You're missing the point, how can you judge him against something that has proven to be very difficult, where managers like Steve M have already spectacularly failed, with much bigger resources.

Really? 

But The Prem is the overall aim. So according to Clowes then he's got 4 years to get us mid Championship. If only Mac had been given that long. 😄

Just now, Archied said:

It’s kind of funny that a lot that slate warne as being only suited to being in a Rotherham situation competing against better players and better budgets creating that underdog batting mentality and doing well are certain he won’t cope when put in that situation with derby in the championship with a bit more wiggle room than he had at Rotherham 🤷🏻‍♂️

How do you know that? Maybe he's here to work on a very tight budget?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How do you know that? Maybe he's here to work on a very tight budget?

I think he is here to do just , my gut is he will have a bit more than he did at Rotherham, not an outlandish thought ?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? 

But The Prem is the overall aim. So according to Clowes then he's got 4 years to get us mid Championship. If only Mac had been given that long. 😄

SM was given one of the best squads in the league and a budget only most could dream off, he was also actually in the champ at the time.

PW has a team in Div 1 and would need to rebuild again once / if he gets us up, hence the timeframe.

If that's your comparison there really isn't any point continuing the conversation, as it seems your expectations imo are unrealistic.

We need to get promoted first and foremost. Before then, any talk of Championship stability or Premier League is premature.

Every single football club will have it’s own short and long term plans, not only that, managers will have their own career succession plan which won’t always be openly shared for obvious reasons.

Personally, as a fan, I don’t put much weight into these plans, they sound great, however only 3 teams go up, 3 go down each season. (4 in League 1). I just look for progress. Progress for me is League table pure and simple.

Others will have their own metrics, however ultimately the league table shows progress. We’ve made progress.

If we finish 3rd, lose in the play off final, it’s still progress. Although the bar has been raised for next season where if promotion isn’t achieved, would be difficult for Warne to continue.

On a side note, it can’t be forgotten what state this club was in just a couple years ago when Rooney left. We have made incredible progress.

History, attendances, facilities don’t count for much if you don’t have a team.

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'd be interested to see what option people would choose if these were the only options?

A - Get promoted = Warne for at least another season. 

B - Stay in league 1 = Warne sacked.

Get promoted every time for me and whilst we're outside of the Premier League that would be my answer every season, irrespective of my thoughts on whoever is our manager at that time - surely isn't that what we all want, promotion 🤔

20 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Warne
22/23* - £14m (3rd highest), placed 7th in the table
24/24* - £13m (1st highest), currently 2nd in the table

Mac 1
13/14 - £16.4m (13th highest), placed 3rd in the table
14/15 - £21.8m (9th highest), placed 8th in the table

Mac 2
16/17 - £34.6m (4th highest), 7th most points during his time as manager

I wouldn't say Mac 'spectacuarly failed".

15/16 - 5th highest wage bill vs 5th in the league
17/18 - 8th highest wage bill vs 6th in the league
18/19* - 7th highest wage bill vs 6th in the league

* estimated wage bills

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Warne
22/23* - £14m (3rd highest), placed 7th in the table
24/24* - £13m (1st highest), currently 2nd in the table

Mac 1
13/14 - £16.4m (13th highest), placed 3rd in the table
14/15 - £21.8m (9th highest), placed 8th in the table

Mac 2
16/17 - £34.6m (4th highest), 7th most points during his time as manager

I wouldn't say Mac 'spectacuarly failed".

15/16 - 5th highest wage bill vs 5th in the league
17/18 - 8th highest wage bill vs 6th in the league
18/19* - 7th highest wage bill vs 6th in the league

* estimated wage bills

Once again missing the point, my post was that reaching the PL has proved to so many elusive and difficult to achieve. We are writing a manager off that hasn't even attempted it yet.

Why haven't you included money spent on transfers for interest ? 

To respond about failing spectacularly, playing 10 men for the majority of the game, being how many points clear in March and failing to even reach the play offs, what would you call that ?

1 hour ago, NorwichExile said:

I'm probably alone in thinking promotion would actually suit Warneball. We're on for our best away form season ever, and part of that is that teams are forced into attacking us on their home patch. We have a strong core to the defence and can counter quickly. Where we struggle is breaking down teams doing exactly what we want to do; sitting deep and breaking quickly. Promotion would mean we were not the heavy favourites for every game and teams would be expecting to take points off us, so would attack more freely and play into our underdog gameplan.

Is it fun to watch? Heck no, it's dour and boring. But it's effective. 30% possession away at Exeter sounds abysmal untill you read their fans saying we played them off the park and showed a real quality difference.

The bit about is it fun to watch at home is an important bit because people will not pay out to watch Heck no it’s not fun to watch in the numbers that currently attend home matches.

54 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

I think some people are just getting their ducks in a row ready to continue criticising Warne even if he gets us promoted and to become an established Championship team. Perhaps they're beginning to worry. 😀

30 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'd be interested to see what option people would choose if these were the only options?

Probably A should be warne will probably start another season 😉

29 minutes ago, ossieram said:

100% option A. We then reset in terms of the objectives PW is set.

Option B might appeal to some that just want him gone (for a variety of reasons including brand of football played, utilising and developing younger players, ability to keep us in the Championship or even to get us into the Premier League which seems to have become a new favourite amongst some) but it would interesting to know who they think would get us promoted, is available and would be prepared to take the job on.