Paul Warne

Day

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

The bit about is it fun to watch at home is an important bit because people will not pay out to watch Heck no it’s not fun to watch in the numbers that currently attend home matches.

Can’t disagree that we need to sort out the home form / performances, history tells us it’s a bugger to get both right 

10 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

That’s why I tend to laugh at your posts, which come over as factually based most of the time but are just your ramblings.

As has already been said - EVERYTHING on here is opinion. Some opinions are stronger than others. Everybody (well... mostly everyone)  expresses their opinion differently.

My opinions are based on things I've observed when watching Derby play, arguments and analysis I've either done myself or seen other reputable posters put forward in a clear and concise manner. When I'm writing a post I try to put things in an order I can understand, a logical and analytical path I can follow. It's a process to help me keep things clear in my head.

Sometimes I write and re-write things so often, trying to cover as many bases as possible while keeping things 'straight', that it actually ends up making my posts into a bit of a jumble.

...and sometimes I just think f*** it, I can't be arsed to spend 15 minutes turning it over and just post on the fly.

I'm sorry if it doesn't meet your pre-approved idea of how someone should type out their opinion on a football forum.

I think we'll go up this season and Warne would have to get the credit. I think he'll struggle in the Championship, but that's just an assumption. If we miss out via the play-offs, I expect Clowes will keep him. The rebuild this summer is going to be massive, particularly if we go up, and that's going to be a huge challenge for any manager.

Edited by Gabby'sThighs

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep , I’ve been putting roofs on for 35 years and I’ve never once put the roof on before the house was built🤷🏻‍♂️

But I bet the architects plans for the houses involved something more than "we'll worry about the roof when we've built the rest of the house"... 

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

But I bet the architects plans for the houses involved something more than "we'll worry about the roof when we've built the rest of the house"... 

quality of build was always budget driven 

50 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

The post was that he didn't improve Derby the first season ? I believe, only from Wiki that he finished one place lower than the previous season.

Was there anything in BCs previous career that suggested he would go onto the success he achieved ?

I think that was the point of the post, not sure it was inaccurate?

No it wasn't, read the quote I replied to again. He was suggesting Clough wasn't doing a good job at Hartlepools but that we appointed him nevertheless - the stats I've provided are pretty conclusive in proving he was doing a good job & showing signs of the managerial talent he would demonstrate with us.

With regard to Clough's first season at Derby, we all know we finished one place below the season previous but I gather season tickets actually increased going into 68/69 as fans could see the young talented team that was emerging.

Just now, Archied said:

quality of build was always budget driven 

Not sure what that's got to do with what I posted 🤷‍♂️.

The point is, while you personally might not be bothering with the roof until the walls are built, someone somewhere is thinking about what type of foundations they need, how the walls are laid out, how the roof will be supported by those walls and so on.  Likewise, Warne might not personally be responsible for getting us to the Premier League, but someone somewhere should be thinking about what we need to do (long term) to get there and making sure that the people currently working on the project are sticking to that plan (be that using a style that can be effective at higher levels, signing players we can develop for higher levels, introducing youth players into the first team, or whatever).

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

Not sure what that's got to do with what I posted 🤷‍♂️.

The point is, while you personally might not be bothering with the roof until the walls are built, someone somewhere is thinking about what type of foundations they need, how the walls are laid out, how the roof will be supported by those walls and so on.  Likewise, Warne might not personally be responsible for getting us to the Premier League, but someone somewhere should be thinking about what we need to do (long term) to get there and making sure that the people currently working on the project are sticking to that plan (be that using a style that can be effective at higher levels, signing players we can develop for higher levels, introducing youth players into the first team, or whatever).

And all that will be driven / contained by the budget they have available NOW 

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

And all that will be driven / contained by the budget they have available NOW 

Your entire argument was not worrying about the roof until you've build the walls though.  I can't imagine you're advocating people just build the walls and then worry about the budget for the roof after that...

27 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

No it wasn't, read the quote I replied to again. He was suggesting Clough wasn't doing a good job at Hartlepools but that we appointed him nevertheless - the stats I've provided are pretty conclusive in proving he was doing a good job & showing signs of the managerial talent he would demonstrate with us.

With regard to Clough's first season at Derby, we all know we finished one place below the season previous but I gather season tickets actually increased going into 68/69 as fans could see the young talented team that was emerging.

Fair enough, although I read it as being what I said, that he hadnt turned up any trees in his first few years and no one could envisage what was to follow 👍

28 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I was inaccurate when I said he managed Hartlepool "not very well" but nor was he running away with the League. He was actually recommended to Derby's Chairman by Len Shackleton, which was the main reason, I believe, why he came to Derby. But , the main thrust of my post was that he was relatively unknown before he came hear with no history of success (winning anything) as a manager. 

My case was to give Warne a chance to prove he can cope with the job he is required to do.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Well we did score three in the last game and Collins didn’t score any of them, plus according to some on here contributed nothing, so yes we should be alright.

Plus we can recall Brown next week and Washington may well be fit also.

My lottery numbers may well come up next week too, possibilities are endless.

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

I was inaccurate when I said he managed Hartlepool "not very well" but nor was he running away with the League. He was actually recommended to Derby's Chairman by Len Shackleton, which was the main reason, I believe, why he came to Derby. But , the main thrust of my post was that he was relatively unknown before he came hear with no history of success (winning anything) as a manager. 

My case was to give Warne a chance to prove he can cope with the job he is required to do.

I'd argue given how poor Hartlepools had historically been, his record there was actually very good. Yes Shackleton recommended him to Longson but without that managerial record*(and the footballing world knowing how bad Hartlepools usually were), he wouldn't have got the job at Derby. Accept he wouldn't have been well known as a manager at that point but the signs were promising.

Not sure how that translates to Warne though, as his record is very well known at this level & the division above. The club made quite a fuss of his League One promotions when appointed so even the casual observer knew what he was capable of (as well as the downside of his Championship record)