Paul Warne

Day

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

You could put Pep or Jurgen or Sir Alex in charge of this team and I doubt the results would be much different! Turning this team of journeymen into European level champions won't happen.

I think managerial skill has limited impact at this level. Its the players innit

This sort of makes it sound like Warne is having little impact on the team.

I personally think it's unfair to blame him for a loss, and not credit him for a win. So for me, he's really turned it around results wise, and he's doing alright. The better games are now outnumbering the bad. So that's a credit to him and all the coaching staff.

I disagree with people posting earlier saying that the Warne-outers refuse to change their stance on things. I was as Warne-out as anyone, but I'm currently happy with things how they are.

It's the division above that's the big test. I don't care how we get out of this league, so long as we do. And we look well set to do that.

15 hours ago, Returning ram said:

How about a little wager on it 😊

I'm confident to say that if we get promoted this season we stay up next 😏

Fair play, I do like folk who have the courage of their convictions 👍

Assume this wager would be dependant on Warne staying the full season in the Championship if we went up (given that's the constant discussion point on here)? If so, I'm happy to have a friendly wager with you if it extends beyond Bris 🤝

p.s. I sincerely hope I lose. I don't like sacking managers & I never want Derby to play in the 3rd tier ever again. If Warne secures us as a midtable finisher in the division above, that would qualify as mission accomplished with regard to his tenure IMO

4 hours ago, sage said:

You do realise the 'anti Warne' as you call them would describe the 'pro Warne' in the same way.

There are probably a couple of extreme posters on both sides. One thing I would say as a 'Warne sceptic' is there are many who just want to close down any debate, which makes 'anti Warne' posters more extreme and actually prolongs negative themes. 

It’s curious, I just don’t see it like that. I don’t think there is a single person on here that thinks PW is a born again genius. There are things about his style that don’t always appeal and, in the past, he has seemed inflexible. Most of us can see that and at the same time acknowledge he has some nous that has proved useful. I don’t see any, nominally, on the pro side who can’t see some of his weaknesses. The opposite of the anti’s who see everything that goes wrong on the pitch to the boardroom as Warne’s fault and will find a way to attribute it to him; be it budget, unforced errors or injuries and that’s before we even get to playing style. 

3 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Nonsense. We have some good players. A top manager would have us really flying 

If i remeber right it took pep at least a season and a shed load of money to get city flying! Fergie was close to being sacked before he got united going i think! Warnes had a transfer embargo and his hands tied a bit!

I get your point though! End of the day we dont see what goes on in training! For all we know warnes saying attack attack attack but the players freeze on match days or warnes putting the handbreak on and the players are being held back! Probs a bit of both to be fair! 

Its league one, im not decided on warne yet but ffs lets just get out this league by any means and build from there! 

Up the Rams!!

19 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s curious, I just don’t see it like that. I don’t think there is a single person on here that thinks PW is a born again genius. There are things about his style that don’t always appeal and, in the past, he has seemed inflexible. Most of us can see that and at the same time acknowledge he has some nous that has proved useful. I don’t see any, nominally, on the pro side who can’t see some of his weaknesses. The opposite of the anti’s who see everything that goes wrong on the pitch to the boardroom as Warne’s fault and will find a way to attribute it to him; be it budget, unforced errors or injuries and that’s before we even get to playing style. 

There you go. Suggesting 'we' are rational and 'you' are not. 

37 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Fair play, I do like folk who have the courage of their convictions 👍

Assume this wager would be dependant on Warne staying the full season in the Championship if we went up (given that's the constant discussion point on here)? If so, I'm happy to have a friendly wager with you if it extends beyond Bris 🤝

p.s. I sincerely hope I lose. I don't like sacking managers & I never want Derby to play in the 3rd tier ever again. If Warne secures us as a midtable finisher in the division above, that would qualify as mission accomplished with regard to his tenure IMO

Bris turned me down, so yes a little friendly wager is good by me. More than happy for the caveat that he stays a full season, also you can add in any point deductions should they occur.

Reminds me of old days when you would settle an argument with a bet in pub over a pint, rather than continue to go around in circles debating it 😊 

Can I just throw this one in there. 

I’m not a Paul warne fan, but I strongly agree with Clowes that we need stability and the shocking fact is that Paul warne is about to become the 4th longest serving manager since Jim smith. Doesn’t sound that great I suppose but considering we have had 25 managers in that period I think that probably tells you something about how bad we have been at retaining talent at that level.

I have already said he needs this full season and then we can make a judgement. I stick by that. The guy needs until May at least.

COYR.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We are second with a game in hand on the leader ..jeez

My comment was in response to someone who was arguing that Ferguson, Guardiola or Klopp wouldn't do any better than Warne with this lot buddy. I think they would. Yes we are second etc but those managers and coaches would have us many points clear at the top is my opinion. Thats not knocking Warne at all 

Edited by Gerry Daly

5 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

My comment was in response to someone who was arguing that Ferguson, Guardiola or Klopp wouldn't do any better than Warne with this lot buddy. I think they would. Yes we are second etc but those managers and coaches would have us many points clear at the top is my opinion. Thats not knocking Warne at all 

Ok mate,I missed the context 👍

9 minutes ago, sage said:

I am not sure that I am doing a knee jerk them and us. I think the posts by many of the anti’s really do sound irrational. But hey ho it is a forum it’s free and open. There is also the underlying.. get a better manager thing. As if we are PL and there are so many Cloughie, Fergies, Wengers Peps, desperate to be offered the job. Liam ? How many were bemoaning the sidy backwards ? 
Warne is as good as it gets at our current level. Isn’t  it interesting that now we have a midfielder of a type, in Adams, we are actually addressing one of the big complaints .. and it’s working. We won’t win every game, we may well slip back because most of our firepower is injured, that’s circumstance, not a “bad” manager. 

No strikers .. not because they are all injured but because Warne didn’t do magical transfer dealings

Dont use the midfield .. not because our players were slow and lacked aggression but because Warne just plays it wide 

Back 3 ? Early season was a bit dogmatic for sure but he adapted the system to the players we had 

Transfers ? Come on we signed what we could with finances and controls that limited us. Players want money regardless of the draw of DCFC or PW. 

I don’t have a problem criticising the manager but he hasn’t even had a full season start to finish, we are under restriction, we are a club in recovery .. yet here we are in second place, with good goals scored and the best GD. Evidence seems to suggest the dressing room has real team spirit. They are inconsistent at times but let’s be honest we have aging championship players mixed with some regular L1 players .. this is going to happen whoever was the manager. There is no logic or rationality to so much of the Warne criticisms 

If you are anti .. you might prefer manager X, you might wish we had a bit more money, you might prefer 4 at the back. All reasonable, but to market that as “PW is a poor manager” is puerile. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Isn't the preference to get the ball out wide as often and quickly as possible and getting crosses in a "way of playing as a team" just as much as any other way you might be able to come up with? Isn't that a pattern of play (whether we like it or not)?

I'm not convinced we have any less of a defined "way of playing" or are reliant on individual moments than most teams.

All three goals v Exeter were prime example

56 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Bris turned me down, so yes a little friendly wager is good by me. More than happy for the caveat that he stays a full season, also you can add in any point deductions should they occur.

Reminds me of old days when you would settle an argument with a bet in pub over a pint, rather than continue to go around in circles debating it 😊 

Sounds good to me, got ourselves a bet 🍻

I'll PM you to agree the amount 👍

36 minutes ago, jono said:

I am not sure that I am doing a knee jerk them and us. I think the posts by many of the anti’s really do sound irrational. But hey ho it is a forum it’s free and open. There is also the underlying.. get a better manager thing. As if we are PL and there are so many Cloughie, Fergies, Wengers Peps, desperate to be offered the job. Liam ? How many were bemoaning the sidy backwards ? 
Warne is as good as it gets at our current level. Isn’t  it interesting that now we have a midfielder of a type, in Adams, we are actually addressing one of the big complaints .. and it’s working. We won’t win every game, we may well slip back because most of our firepower is injured, that’s circumstance, not a “bad” manager. 

No strikers .. not because they are all injured but because Warne didn’t do magical transfer dealings

Dont use the midfield .. not because our players were slow and lacked aggression but because Warne just plays it wide 

Back 3 ? Early season was a bit dogmatic for sure but he adapted the system to the players we had 

Transfers ? Come on we signed what we could with finances and controls that limited us. Players want money regardless of the draw of DCFC or PW. 

I don’t have a problem criticising the manager but he hasn’t even had a full season start to finish, we are under restriction, we are a club in recovery .. yet here we are in second place, with good goals scored and the best GD. Evidence seems to suggest the dressing room has real team spirit. They are inconsistent at times but let’s be honest we have aging championship players mixed with some regular L1 players .. this is going to happen whoever was the manager. There is no logic or rationality to so much of the Warne criticisms 

If you are anti .. you might prefer manager X, you might wish we had a bit more money, you might prefer 4 at the back. All reasonable, but to market that as “PW is a poor manager” is puerile. 

irrational and puerile, lovely. 

I don't think he is a bad manager. I think he is a good League One manager for a club with low to medium expectations. 

19 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't think he is a bad manager. I think he is a good League One manager for a club with low to medium expectations. 

I wonder how many at start of season had him as an average league one manager and have now changed that to good ?

1 hour ago, sage said:

To play devil's advocate: in hindsight and based on current standings, what proved to be the rational course of action was patience. So there is an argument that those wanted Warne gone earlier in the season were irrational in their views. 

However, the danger for anyone self-aggrandising and saying they were ''correct'', is that position in the league table doesn't matter until the end of the season. If we fail to get promoted, I think most will admit this season wasn't a success, and I think even the most ardent Warne supporter would struggle to argue against his tenure being classed as a failure.

FWIW i'm hoping Warne takes us up, by hook or by crook- I suspect that'd give everyone more faith in Mr Warne and we could go into next season more united as a fanbase? 

Edited by YorkshireRam

53 minutes ago, sage said:

I can totally accept “I think he is a good League One manager for a club with low to medium expectations”. I believe you are wrong and that he is better than that. But many come on here and say “he is a good League One manager for a club……”

You are giving your opinion which I can accept - others state it as fact which I don’t (unless it is eventually proved).

28 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

I can totally accept “I think he is a good League One manager for a club with low to medium expectations”. I believe you are wrong and that he is better than that. But many come on here and say “he is a good League One manager for a club……”

You are giving your opinion which I can accept - others state it as fact which I don’t (unless it is eventually proved).

As I said a couple of days ago, everything on here is opinion and should be treated as such. 

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

All three goals v Exeter were prime example

I really don’t understand your point or what you expect. Aren’t most goals “individual moments”?

What were the three goals prime examples of? The three different players were directly involved (Bird, NML and Barks) annd only the first was annything like a solo effort although others contributed (for example Elder’s run off the ball for the first). I don’t know what the team could have done differently in order to display this elusive “identity” you crave.

30 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I really don’t understand your point or what you expect. Aren’t most goals “individual moments”?

What were the three goals prime examples of? The three different players were directly involved (Bird, NML and Barks) annd only the first was annything like a solo effort although others contributed (for example Elder’s run off the ball for the first). I don’t know what the team could have done differently in order to display this elusive “identity” you crave.

It’s not worth trying to work it out