Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

On 28/04/2024 at 17:12, YouRams said:

Collo deserves another year but comes down to if he wants to be playing football every week. Proved some of us all wrong this season though could he do the same again next? 

FTFY

Ali Al-Hamadi on loan if Ipswich go up?
I believe we were linked with him last summer or January. I would imagine Ipswich will look for a better option up front if they go up.
It looks like he's only been coming off the bench for Ipswich since signing/ occasional start to give Moore a rest. His family seems quite humble too looking on wikipedia, which fits in with Warne wanting good characters and people in the dressing room.

2 minutes ago, SouthDerbysRam said:

Ali Al-Hamadi on loan if Ipswich go up?
I believe we were linked with him last summer or January. I would imagine Ipswich will look for a better option up front if they go up.
It looks like he's only been coming off the bench for Ipswich since signing/ occasional start to give Moore a rest. His family seems quite humble too looking on wikipedia, which fits in with Warne wanting good characters and people in the dressing room.

Good shout this is, doesn't look out of place when he's coming on for Ipswich. Young, pressing type of forward with a bit of pace 

2 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Kasey Mcateer from Leicester has one year left on his contract, he’s out of favour having only started 12 games and made 21 appearances overall. He has 5 goals though and looks good whenever I see him.

Hes starting tonight as a lot of main players have been rested for Leicester and a lot of fans seem to feel he should of gotten more game time.

At 22 he could be a good investment as a winger who can play behind the striker also. 

and has scored tonight:

The club may no longer be operating under EFL restrictions. But the level and number of players we will be able sign, will come down to the budget Warne will have available. A budget which will defiantly be smaller than a number other Championship clubs. That realistically means there won't be a wholesale change of personnel.

If we don't lose any of the players Warne wants to keep. We'll need a minimum of at the very least a left-back/wingback, a couple of midfielders and a central striker.

How much of the budget is left after these signings, will dictate how many of other players Warne believes he'll need for next season, he will be able to sign.

So does Warne blow his money on a handful of high-end championship players or does he look to reduce the squads average age by identifying and signing more good younger but cheaper lower league players, so saving some of his budget, in the hope for one or two good Prem loan players.

Players who are still contracted to the club beyond this summer: 

Goalkeepers - Josh Vickers
Right Back - Ryan Nyambe, Kane Wilson
Centre Back - Eiran Cashin, Curtis Nelson, Sonny Bradley, Jake Rooney.
Left Back - Callum Elder 
Right Wing Back - Kane Wilson, Joe Ward
Left Wing Back - n/a
Central Midfield - Tyrese Fornah
Wingers - Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Corey Blackett-Taylor, Joe Ward
Strikers - Connor Washington

Players most likely to be offered new deals: Joe Wildsmith, Louie Sibley, Liam Thompson & Darren Robinson. 
Players who will probably be offered new deals: Craig Forsyth, James Collins, Korey Smith & Tom Barkhuizen. 
Players who will be unlikely offered new deals: Scott Loach, Martyn Waghorn, Dwight Gayle. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we keep John-Jules for developmental reasons, obviously there are issues regarding his fitness & health but there is definitely an appreciation for his talent and with him being out of contract at Arsenal. I could see him signing a two year deal, low risk in terms of financial investment. We're undoubtedly going to try and sign Ebou Adams (which has all but been confirmed). 

The scale of the rebuild is there for everyone to see: 2x goalkeepers, 1x centre back, 1/2x left back/wing backs, 4/5x central midfielders, 1/2x wingers & 3/4x strikers. 16-odd players depending on who signs new terms from the out of contract players. I suspect the bulk of our work will be done in free agency once again as EFL have curtailed spending there is a plethora of out-of-contract players hitting the market – an intensely competitive market. We could well see the likes of Wildsmith and Sibley offered terms that we find out of our budgets. Wildsmith will be a Championship number one somewhere next season, on his body of work at Derby and that could mean wages upwards of £15-20k a week depending on the club. Sibley has pedigree and will have a ton of suitors willing to pay him good wages, again it could be beyond what we can/are willing to pay.

I’ve just looked through the free agency market and you can see how crowded that market is going to be, especially considering the type of player we need to add to the squad. I’d like to see us bring in Norrington-Davies, Nathan Ferguson, Shandon Baptiste, Alan Browne, Lasse Sorensen, Femi Azeez and Aaron Connolly.

There isn’t a shortage of good players, unfortunately there is no shortage of Championship clubs in the same boat. I don’t envy the job the recruitment team have ahead of them – the level of creativity they’re going to need to show in order to bring a squad together capable of being competitive isn’t easy. Not to mention that we’ve got to start recruiting for resale value so it can’t be just about patching a squad together, like we did in League One.

My concern with how we approached recruitment in League One was that it was very short-term based, but on the other hand I could appreciate that it's much easier to bring in talented players as a Championship club. It's actually played out as such, so now we have a fairly blank canvas to build upon as a Championship team, but the volume of work that's required is significant. No wonder they're starting back tomorrow. 

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/pompey-are-set-for-their-first-season-back-in-the-championship-since-the-2011-12-season-4609160?page=1

A look at how the teams winning league one have done in their promotion season.

It's provides an idea of how much promoted teams need to strengthen to stay in the Championship. The gap between championship quality and league one.

8 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Never heard of him.

He’s not up to much. Couple of good games, red card waiting to happen, injury prone, and won’t step up to the championship. No way should we be negotiating to buy him. 

[Come on, we can do this. A couple more posts of this type and they’ll be paying us to take him!]

30 minutes ago, ck- said:

He’s not up to much. Couple of good games, red card waiting to happen, injury prone, and won’t step up to the championship. No way should we be negotiating to buy him. 

[Come on, we can do this. A couple more posts of this type and they’ll be paying us to take him!]

Get’s booed by his own fans every time he touches the ball!

15 hours ago, Oldben said:

It is unlikely that a newly promoted League One team to the Championship would be able to sign players from clubs that have just been promoted to the Premier League for a few key reasons:

1. Wage demands: Players from Premier League clubs, even those not considered starters, will likely have high wage demands that a smaller Championship club would struggle to match. The financial gap between the Premier League and lower divisions makes it difficult for promoted teams to compete on salaries.

2. Transfer fees: Clubs that have just been promoted to the Premier League will be reluctant to sell their players, especially to League One teams newly promoted to Championship, unless the transfer fees are substantial. A newly promoted League One team simply won't have the funds to pay the asking prices for these players.

3. Ambition: Players from Premier League clubs, even if not first-choice, will likely have ambitions to play at the highest level and may not see a move to a newly promoted League One to Championship side as a step in the right direction. They will want to test themselves against the best players.

4. Squad depth: Championship League clubs need a deep squad to compete in multiple competitions. They will want to keep players who can provide cover and competition for places, rather than selling them to rivals.

5. Loan deals: If Premier League clubs do allow their players to leave, they will be more inclined to send them on loan to gain experience rather than sell outright. This allows the parent club to retain control of the player's future.

In summary, the financial resources, ambition and squad-building priorities of current Chsmpionship League clubs make it very difficult for newly promoted League One sides to attract their players, even those not considered starters. The gap in quality and resources is simply too large to bridge in one transfer window.

FFS - Admins - Can we please ban Chat GPT replies somehow?

Was wondering what players Birmingham have that might be worth poaching if they go down. Not too many, but I wouldn't mind us trying to get Koji Miyoshi off of them if they do. 27-year old attacking mid/winger with 7 goals, 6 assists in a pretty naff side, and he only has one year left on his contract. Had a glance at their forum, and he's one of only a few players that they seem generally positive about this year.