Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

7 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

The quote was aim to be competitive , not there to make up the numbers 

6 hours ago, Srg said:

Sell who? The only player we have with value is Cashin!

But no, other than us being competitive and not there to make up the numbers, we don’t know. And those statements don’t really tell you much either as that’s different to different people. 

It’s a fair ask though, do we think we will spend more than £1m on anyone? I’m dubious. 

This does have shades of last summer when there an amongst of angst with certain forum members when we failed to pay any significant transfer fee for a player despite the club giving a similarly open to interpretation statement regards players signings.

I had hoped that the club had learnt from that going forward....

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

This does have shades of last summer when there an amongst of angst with certain forum members when we failed to pay any significant transfer fee for a player despite the club giving a similarly open to interpretation statement regards players signings.

They were honest last season - we had the highest wage bill in the division didn’t we at £17m. That is a budget to compete for autos in league 1. 

I suspect that we’ll have a wage bill of around £25m this year. The average being £31m but that’s distorted by the parachute payment clubs. It’d be a wage bill slightly over Preston’s which would seem about right considering our crowds are much bigger and our revenue streams are therefore bigger. 

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2

Some decent free agents this summer, we hopefully can bring in 4 or 5 on frees.

The ones on that list I’d be interested in are:

Sam Gallagher (28)

Chris Willock (26)

Alan Browne (29)

Ivan Sunjic (27) 

Cameron Dawson (28)

Dominic Iorfa (28)

Kayden Jackson (30)

8 hours ago, Srg said:

But no, other than us being competitive and not there to make up the numbers, we don’t know. And those statements don’t really tell you much either as that’s different to different people. 

It’s a fair ask though, do we think we will spend more than £1m on anyone? I’m dubious. 

Why would the club announce their transfer budget and force the price up by the selling clubs knowing what we have available?

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Some people will just have to learn to live with the disappointment of realising that they won't get everything they want. I don't think that, after what we've been through in the last 5 years, any fan should retain any illusion that we will be spending substantial fees on any players, unless we first raise the funds through transfers. I don't think the club should make any statement about what money is available either.

41 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

They were honest last season - we had the highest wage bill in the division didn’t we at £17m. That is a budget to compete for autos in league 1. 

I suspect that we’ll have a wage bill of around £25m this year. The average being £31m but that’s distorted by the parachute payment clubs. It’d be a wage bill slightly over Preston’s which would seem about right considering our crowds are much bigger and our revenue streams are therefore bigger. 

It's fair to say we'll have a midtable wage bill next season. The same can't be said about transfer fees. This season, only 5 clubs spent less than £2m (according to Transfermarkt), a figure I'll be amazed if we exceed. If you exclude player sales from all clubs, I would still expect our total budget (wages plus fees) to be lower midtable (13th-18th).
Preston's wage bill was £21m in 22/23. We'll be closer to Swansea, Blackburn and QPR who were in the £25-26m region last season. Swansea and Blackburn both having a cat 1 academy so are reasonable comparisons in relation to first team budget.

You can thank me later, but there is a young midfielder at Bristol City that looks decent - not made a first team appearance for them yet, so could get him on the cheap. 

I’ll do some research and see if I can get his name…..

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Why would the club announce their transfer budget and force the price up by the selling clubs knowing what we have available?

They shouldn't. Don't know if that was a specific question to me or not.

45 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's fair to say we'll have a midtable wage bill next season. The same can't be said about transfer fees. This season, only 5 clubs spent less than £2m (according to Transfermarkt), a figure I'll be amazed if we exceed. If you exclude player sales from all clubs, I would still expect our total budget (wages plus fees) to be lower midtable (13th-18th).
Preston's wage bill was £21m in 22/23. We'll be closer to Swansea, Blackburn and QPR who were in the £25-26m region last season. Swansea and Blackburn both having a cat 1 academy so are reasonable comparisons in relation to first team budget.

Big problem we have, in order to compete with these teams, is finding cheap talent or academy prospects and getting the big money. Swansea and Blackburn, for example, sold Joel Piroe and Adam Wharton for over £30m combined. QPR, the other team you mentioned, haven't sold anyone for much value and have totaled £3-4m in a couple of seasons in sales and haven't paid money for anyone themselves since 21/22 season. The contrast is stark.

10 hours ago, Srg said:

I'm expecting a "Nigel Clough-era" type transfer window even with restrictions removed... 1 player bought for between £1m-£1.5m... maybe a couple of lower fees... the rest freebies and loans.

19 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I've just been told by a Huddersfield fan that there was talk of Sorba Thomas joining us and agreeing to terms last week. Not one I believe and haven't seen a single person mention it elsewhere, but thought I'd note it here in case it happens and I get ITK credibility. 

Still got 2 years left on his contract, so a tad concerned as he would be fiercely expensive given he played 41 games this season. Seems a lot to fork out on a single player unless Clowes already has investment lined up, but it's an interesting one for sure.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I'm not sure saying that aiming to be competitive at least is particularly revealing anyway. I take your point about expectations and angst, but that's for the individual fans to address, not the club. To be fair, I feel like I'm preaching to the choir on this particular issue anyway! 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Some people will just have to learn to live with the disappointment of realising that they won't get everything they want. I don't think that, after what we've been through in the last 5 years, any fan should retain any illusion that we will be spending substantial fees on any players, unless we first raise the funds through transfers. I don't think the club should make any statement about what money is available either.

Sadly common sense is often overridden by 'the right to whine'. Folk were moaning on here the first window after admin, after all, that's how 'reasonable' expectations can be with some of our lot 🤑

I guess the question is how much is competitive?

Overall Transfer kitty:

£0 - £1m

£1m - £2m

£2m - £3m

£3m+

i know money will be spent on wages but as @Srg has pointed out, the difference in what clubs can spend is great. Add in that i don't think we have anybody that will attract a multi million pound bid, i'll be intrigued to see what our pot is. 

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

I guess the question is how much is competitive?

Overall Transfer kitty:

£0 - £1m

£1m - £2m

£2m - £3m

£3m+

i know money will be spent on wages but as @Srg has pointed out, the difference in what clubs can spend is great. Add in that i don't think we have anybody that will attract a multi million pound bid, i'll be intrigued to see what our pot is. 

Cashin will attract a multi mill pound bid , but hope he doesn’t 

Just now, Reggie Greenwood said:

Cashin will attract a multi mill pound bid , but hope he doesn’t 

How could i forget Cash? Oooops.

Yes this may well change our summer plans although with him signing a long contract i imaginer we'd want top dollar for him.

7 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

How could i forget Cash? Oooops.

Yes this may well change our summer plans although with him signing a long contract i imaginer we'd want top dollar for him.

It’d be interesting to see what would be “acceptable” to sell him, providing all of it was reinvested into the squad.

His new contract bumps his price up from what we were going to get when he nearly went last summer, so does another season of performing excellently.

If we got £6-7mil, as well as a loan back, then that could make a huge difference to the make-up of our squad.

19 hours ago, Scott129 said:

I'd be very surprised if we don't take another look at Harry Leonard from Blackburn. 20 years old and only a year left on his contract.

He was the striker who was all set to come in on loan in January, before Eustace took over and pulled the plug.

Old news. We've already signed him, he is a Rams legend and went on to play 144 times and scored 72 goals for us, interrupted by the First World War. 

11 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Viktor johansson if we could afford him, he was there when warne was manager! Hes got a release claus but not sure how much!

Heard it becomes active on 25th December.