Derby v Shrewsbury Town - Match Day Thread

A very turgid all round display where we nearly nicked all 3pts. Despite PW poo pooing his own first half tactics, I thought there wasn't a great deal of difference in the both halves of football. We fractionally shifted the ball quicker and better 2nd half.

Had we not been so ponderous in possession 1st half there was ample space and opportunity down each flank if we'd switched play quicker at times, especially down the left side. We definitely missed Cashins ability to mix it up with his searching diagonal passes. That could have been one of those elusive marginal differences that PW often eludes to. 

Stand out performer as already mentioned was Adams snapping away and tidying up in midfield. No coincidence that we conceded within minutes of him and Nyambe exiting the field. Curtis Nelson deserves a mention too for playing in an unnatural position for him but still putting in a solid performance.

Feels like a loss after being so close to taking all the spoils. We need to learn fast how to finish teams off or at least  close games out otherwise we'll be in the godforsaken league for another season. 

20 minutes ago, sage said:

Their goal was offside but it was very tight. VAR would have saved us but its so tight you can't blame the lino

Genuine question as I seem to have lost my understanding of what counts as offside with all the “interfering with play” considerations. But who was offside? The ball was played backwards to the player who scored so it’s not him. They had a player on the line, but he was behind Wildsmith so not obstructing him. Pretty much in the same way that Hourihane was for our goal. 

9 minutes ago, ck- said:

Genuine question as I seem to have lost my understanding of what counts as offside with all the “interfering with play” considerations. But who was offside? The ball was played backwards to the player who scored so it’s not him. They had a player on the line, but he was behind Wildsmith so not obstructing him. Pretty much in the same way that Hourihane was for our goal. 

He was jostling with Elder

31 minutes ago, ramtique said:

Spot on pal. I’ve been watching us for 50 years and have seen some dreadful sides in that time, but I have rarely been so bored at games. Yes I’m grateful we still have a club and all that. I don’t particularly expect to get promoted from where we have been the last 12/18 months. But I DO like to enjoy my Saturday afternoons which I’m not watching Warneball. The football is negative and totally uninspiring. We have the players - despite obvious deficiencies up front - to play better but are constrained by the limited and under ambitious approach of our management. Yes we are second etc etc but I’m not enjoying this and I’m sure I’m not alone. Cue the happy clappers telling me to stay at home…. 

Yeah, stay at home.

After 31 games this season, I think most of us know roughly where we are as a football side. Results have been impressive, at times,  performances just haven’t been. Days like this are going to happen, especially when the performance levels aren’t there to back it up, so it’s not one to get stressed about. 

8 minutes ago, Justa said:

Wasn’t having a go but just wondered if you had endured the crap we are being offered every week !

You've endured the crap, I've enjoyed supporting my team dealing with the hand it's been dealt in League One. Some people prefer to dwell on the negative stuff, as is their right, I was just trying to add a bit of balance with some positives, as is my right.

Love Grizzly Adams

hate the fact that we are set up so defensively 
3 at the back and then sitting back yet again after taking the lead

similar to Southgate does and always bigging up the opposition  

it’s good to be respectful but I hope he doesn’t talk to the players like that 

Collo put in a decent shift apart from the offsides 

Fair play to sibs - he’s stepped up whilst fozzie is injured

Max put in another decent performance in - I hope he continues like this for the rest of the season - I suspect as someone else mentioned, that Adams liberates him somewhat 

Hope CBT can start contributing soon - NML could do with a hand 

33 minutes ago, Justa said:

Wasn’t having a go but just wondered if you had endured the crap we are being offered every week !

19 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

You've endured the crap, I've enjoyed supporting my team dealing with the hand it's been dealt in League One. Some people prefer to dwell on the negative stuff, as is their right, I was just trying to add a bit of balance with some positives, as is my right.

Sorry, that sounds a bit twee! I just mean that what I'm watching on the pitch doesn't necessarily dictate how I feel about the team in general, I just prefer to look on the bright side!

1 hour ago, ramtique said:

Spot on pal. I’ve been watching us for 50 years and have seen some dreadful sides in that time, but I have rarely been so bored at games. Yes I’m grateful we still have a club and all that. I don’t particularly expect to get promoted from where we have been the last 12/18 months. But I DO like to enjoy my Saturday afternoons which I’m not watching Warneball. The football is negative and totally uninspiring. We have the players - despite obvious deficiencies up front - to play better but are constrained by the limited and under ambitious approach of our management. Yes we are second etc etc but I’m not enjoying this and I’m sure I’m not alone. Cue the happy clappers telling me to stay at home…. 

If it's upsetting you that much then yes you've already proposed the solution.

Looking at the game today I've basically come to the conclusion that despite my happy clapping we really aren't very good. The division is poor and in it we are better than most. The football however is boring and littered with poor control and poor passing. It's as much to do with the players as it is the manager. Oh well, we are where we are. 

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

With Collins on the pitch, this is home banker, he was born offside, it would be easier for the Lino to flag when he is not offside. 

To be honest Collo needs to be bollocked for these continual and wasteful offsides. It’s not helping the team at all. Ok, accepted, he doesn’t possess good pace so inevitably wants to sit on the defender’s shoulders to give himself the best chance of getting to a thru ball…. But FFS… look along the line sometimes. It’s really getting tedious now. 

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think more importantly, none of the others in the chasing pack are really doing that well. Barnsley won but needed goals in the 88th and 95th minute, Bolton and Stevenage only drew (albeit away from home) and Peterborough, who a lot of us thought were the best team we’d seen just over a month ago, have only picked up 1 point from the last 4 games. It seems we’re all doing our best to avoid automatic promotion.

Barnsley are doing what they need to do and how many times have we won late in games !!?

We nearly always lose at their place (offer quite heavily) so I’m not looking forward to playing there at all… if we lose then they are two points up on us and rarely losing…. Don’t underestimate them… could yet make the autos…

Shame about Pompey… back to their way of grinding out good 1-0 wins…

6 hours ago, WystonRam said:

Wasn’t struggling. Had taken a bit of a knock, was clearly fit enough to see the game out. Vent.

Disappointed when PW tried to duck responsibility this way… u aren’t telling me Nyambe couldn’t have lasted five more minutes..

Sure, we may have conceded anyway but these- in my mind needless- substitutions didn’t help us at all. Changes for changes sake and to show who is in charge etc…

8 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Apparently a lot of fans weren't bothered when we didn't sign a striker and are happy for us to put Barks up there.  A player that couldn't hit a barn door.  

Cannot believe that a team that look so devoid of ideas going forward can get promoted.  Been a season completely lacking in entertainment or excitement for me.   Was more enjoyable last season and I never thought I'd be saying that.

Totally agree , I would much prefer to see us playing a different style and a more ( we will score more than you attitude ) too many times seemingly holding on rather than taking the game away from opponents ,regardless of what happens this season this season I won't be doing the miles i do next season if we are still in L1 and if Warne ( who I like as a person ) is still in charge as I don't like how we play

When I start my journey to games from Kent I always start off with enthusiasm and  optimism ....that soon starts to diminish as soon as the game starts lol

I like Paul Warne and am desperate for him to succeed at DCFC. I like his style, his honesty and feel he has integrity and moral compass. However, serious questions to be asked following yesterdays performance which was too similar to previous performances:

- why is there such a lack of creativity in our play when he has had such a long time with this squad? 
- why do we not impose ourselves on weaker opposition, especially at home?

- why does it take us to concede a goal in order for us to display energy and desire?

- why do we never have any runners beyond Collins, when our tactic is so often hitting the ball directly towards him in the air? Seriously, what are we achieving with this tactic without runners around or beyond him?

- why do players not appear more motivated when you consider our position and the opportunity we have, especially in the earlier parts of each game when we are far too passive?

My opinion is that if he and the coaching team can resolve the 5 questions above, we can and will make the automatic positions. If we continue not to, then the best we can hope for is a play off lottery, and I wouldn’t fancy our chances over two legs against anybody if the issues have still not been resolved. Quality coaching and leadership now required for the remainder of the season. 🐏

8 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think more importantly, none of the others in the chasing pack are really doing that well. Barnsley won but needed goals in the 88th and 95th minute, Bolton and Stevenage only drew (albeit away from home) and Peterborough, who a lot of us thought were the best team we’d seen just over a month ago, have only picked up 1 point from the last 4 games. It seems we’re all doing our best to avoid automatic promotion.

Perhaps if we have a month off playing we'll find ourselves top.....