Derby v Shrewsbury Town - Match Day Thread

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ward and Elder - 3 year deals? Where is Warne going with his signings? He's not building for the future, he's recruiting for promotion. That's his whole 'be all and end all'.

Any green shoots seem to happen by accident. 😄

You talk about getting promoted as if that's a negative! Isn't promotion part of getting the club back on it's feet, i.e. building for the future? Signing decent 27-28-year-olds seems like a good way of building a squad for that target, but they're unlikely to join on 2-year deals.

It's easy to put the responsibility for all the negatives at Warne's door and ignore any positives we've seen from the recruitment team.

The football is pretty crap to watch and often we're tactically all over the place, which I think Warne is certainly to blame for, but we have a decent shot at the autos with 15 games to go. Cheer up.

54 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Nyambe was only signed because he messed up the summer transfer window trying to recruit for a formation that didn't work

His first interviews suggested that Warne had been after him over the summer but couldn't get a deal done. Wasn't the assumption at the time that he was expecting to join a Championship club but that never materialised? Seems reasonable given his record at Blackburn & Wigan. Rooney's injury motivated us too.

3 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

The football is pretty crap to watch and often we're tactically all over the place, which I think Warne is certainly to blame for, but we have a decent shot at the autos with 15 games to go. Cheer up.

That is the only reason to be cheerful. Lets hope Warne doesn't screw up like last season. #COYR

Yes the reality is when we get a load of free transfers at league one level the quality will be league one standard without the quality everyone wants.

It is quite remarkable we are in second place when other clubs below us have spent some reasonable sums for players. So well done to the coaching and recruitment staff so far.

On 11/02/2024 at 08:55, 8Leeds said:

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cash Elder

Thompson Smith Bird

Wilson Collins NML

But Hourihane the players’ captain will start. 
If it has to happen, and it seems it does, he should be told that’s he’s got to run his balls off for 55 minutes, then come off the pitch and throw up. And he should have his own training regime which tones him for 55 not 90 minutes. We can learn things from the rugby fitness coaches 

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The level we are playing out would make that scenario difficult to execute? If the players were so good that they didn't make 'so many' individual mistakes then the likelihood is that they wouldn't be in league 1 if they could play football well.

Precisely ! Which is why I bridle at the mantra from certain quarters, you included that just slates Warne instead of the footballers !

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Precisely ! Which is why I bridle at the mantra from certain quarters, you included that just slates Warne instead of the footballers !

So the manager doesn't know how to get the best from his players, he thinks they won't make mistakes? I see. If only we'd tried to score more than one goal and not sat back.

18 hours ago, Jourdan said:

@Andicis it’s not just you, but you are the most recent culprit. 

I don’t get this constant need to discredit the league and the teams within in it. It’s league football and each league every season is tough in its own way. A new season brings change, new opportunities, new variables and also new challenges.

What does that even mean? It just sound like meaningless corporate waffle. 

When was the last time all three relegated Championship teams weren't challenging for promotion the following season?

What I don't get is his, apparent, aversion to going through the middle now and again. 

1. It's a valid tactic and teams don't like players bombing at them through the middle

2. Permanently going wide is too predictable as a player will almost always go outside on one wing and cut inside when playing the "inverted" winger role

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So the manager doesn't know how to get the best from his players, he thinks they won't make mistakes? I see. If only we'd tried to score more than one goal and not sat back.

I guarantee you that Warne didn't tell the players to sit back on the lead on Saturday - he's nailed that erroneous assumption a few times after similar games. 

21 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I guarantee you that Warne didn't tell the players to sit back on the lead on Saturday - he's nailed that erroneous assumption a few times after similar games. 

Yep there’s a fine line between trying to control the game with possession and sitting back , players very often get it wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 06/02/2024 at 22:42, TomBustler1884 said:

This will be my first match in the stands with my son. Aged 4, so no expectations about lasting for the whole thing, but he's been asking to go and is already excited for Saturday.

He's been practicing his chanting so hoping for an improved atmosphere!

Sorry if I missed someone else asking, but did your lad enjoy the match day experience? And did you manage to stay til the end?😁

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Beaten to the obvious answer by B. Goaty. He's the manager, he manages the players, or does he!

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

What does that even mean? It just sound like meaningless corporate waffle. 

When was the last time all three relegated Championship teams weren't challenging for promotion the following season?

Meaningless corporate waffle? Sure, yes, I report back to Stephen Pearce every evening. 

The point being discussed was that we are only where we are because the league is poor. If that was true, why aren’t Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough taking advantage and running away with the league?

What makes a league strong or weak, much like what makes a football team good to watch, is purely subjective.

It was 2014-15 the last time none of the relegated teams competed for promotion or play-offs. What is the relevance?

This season, only Blackpool have an outside chance of promotion through the play offs. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way but that just lines up with the thinking that this is not a straightforward league to get out of.

There are countless other examples of relegated teams (Bolton, Ipswich, Wednesday, Charlton, Sunderland) who have not adjusted to League 1 so easily and there are teams that have taken years to rebuild and get out of the league. Some are still stuck here.

But yes, please continue downplaying the quality and competition levels in the league if you must. It won’t stop the champagne flowing when we go up.

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Meaningless corporate waffle? Sure, yes, I report back to Stephen Pearce every evening. 

The point being discussed was that we are only where we are because the league is poor. If that was true, why aren’t Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough taking advantage and running away with the league?

What makes a league strong or weak, much like what makes a football team good to watch, is purely subjective.

It was 2014-15 the last time none of the relegated teams competed for promotion or play-offs. What is the relevance?

This season, only Blackpool have an outside chance of promotion through the play offs. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way but that just lines up with the thinking that this is not a straightforward league to get out of.

There are countless other examples of relegated teams (Bolton, Ipswich, Wednesday, Charlton, Sunderland) who have not adjusted to League 1 so easily and there are teams that have taken years to rebuild and get out of the league. Some are still stuck here.

But yes, please continue downplaying the quality and competition levels in the league if you must. It won’t stop the champagne flowing when we go up.

The reason Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough aren't running away with it, because they are also poor. Hence why people like myself call the league poor. 

Do you genuinely believe that the league is as good this year? 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The reason Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough aren't running away with it, because they are also poor. Hence why people like myself call the league poor. 

Do you genuinely believe that the league is as good this year? 

Stevenage were playing in L2 last season and are now 6th, equal to their highest ever finsoh in English football! Leyton Orient also promoted and are 9th. 

If a side can go from L2 to 6th, it shouldn't take much for a side to improve on a 7th place finish last season.